sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

Man TLK hate is real worse than Dumbo. Crazy because to me Dumbo genuinely stunk. TLK just felt forced, safe, blatant ripoff lesser copy of the original. Dumbo went out of its way to be worse in basicy every way and more than doubled Film Length. I'm curious to see how bad legs will see. Perhaps wom genuinely will be a lot worse than Aladdin. Seemed that way to me after the movie.

Anyone know the word of mouth is for OUATIH?

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Disney characters and their reactions of the box office grosses of their live action movies:

Aladdin: EHofGer.gif?noredirect

The Lion King: tenor.gif?itemid=4868386

Dumbo: giphy.gif

Dumbo deserved more marketing. It was also from an older era which is why but with a decent promo who knows

Edited by Geo1500

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

There's also not as much of a distinction between arthouse and blockbuster outside the US. Both Parasite and Aladdin are blockbusters in South Korea and it's not weird.

Something like Parasite in Korea, and Dying to Survive in China could top box office and compete with the biggest blockbuster, that's something I wish to see in the domestic market.

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I feel the same way.

I was the first out when the credits rolled... only went because I watched the animation 30 times as a kid.. shoulda made it 31 instead saw Disney ruin something else I like

This is something i dont really get. Even if Disney makes 10 Lion King remakes that you hate, none of that makes the original film in any way worse. The 1994 Lion King is and always will be the same film, no matter what will happen with the IP.

• Like 9

To be honest I’ve never understood watching comedy films in theater - only one I’ve seen was hangover and that was because it was a date. Comedies are glorified tv films

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 4

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

This is something i dont really get. Even if Disney makes 10 Lion King remakes that you hate, none of that makes the original film in any way worse. The 1994 Lion King is and always will be the same film, no matter what will happen with the IP.

Exactly. For me I liked the newer Aladdin better but still love the original. For Dumbo love the original hate the new one. For Lion King love the original, thought the new one was decent but boring

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Something like Parasite in Korea, and Dying to Survive in China could top box office and compete with the biggest blockbuster, that's something I wish to see in the domestic market.

Americans are probably too conditioned to expect at least some elements of action/spectacle in their blockbusters since the mid 90s Simple dramas or comedies will always have some people thinking "I'll watch it later at home".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I mean I can still watch the original but for instance in an inonic scene "long live the king" I'll just laugh then get a sour taste in my mouth, kinda made the original unwatchable!

2 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

To be honest I’ve never understood watching comedy films in theater - only one I’ve seen was hangover and that was because it was a date. Comedies are glorified tv films

same for mcu films

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

X87ww3a.jpg

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah well when A24 buys every pre-existing studio and franchise they can get their hands on and sucks all the air out of culture by hogging up screen space with bland parasitic anonymous Content then maybe they'll be worth something

f9085f84d1bb7edcc72e4e2e0b1cd24a03624d92

7 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Going to the movies is more communal than anything akin to going sport games and what not. It's why bars are filled on Sundays for NFL.

And comedies are hilarious when you are laughing with other people rather than a weirdo alone in your room. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Going by early numbers I am seeing $50mn is completely off the table so don't get your expectations that high. I haven't looked up for comps and neither really wanna at this hour but $17-19mn Friday including Previews.

The brotinos were all on a date last night.

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

We might perceive this differently, but every time I see one of these live action remakes, I think of "what could have been..."

Those "10 Lion kings" with huge  promotional budget could have been enough money to make and promote 15 Epic Sci-fi or Fantasy blockbusters, there are many books out there to adapt, as well as original scripts waiting to be picked up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

We might perceive this differently, but every time I see one of these live action remakes, I think of "what could have been..."

Those "10 Lion kings" with huge  promotional budget could have been enough money to make and promote 15 Epic Sci-fi or Fantasy blockbusters, there are many books out there to adapt, as well as original scripts waiting to be picked up. 

I mean didn't they do that with John Carter, A Wrinkle in Time and Tomorrowland... but they just flopped SO hard that it would've been pretty dumb business sense to keep doing it. You could argue that those were simply average to bad films but then it's not like this Lion King remake or Maleficent or BATB were great yet they did amazing business regardless.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

From a creative point of view, thats completely understandable and i, too, would have loved to see Disney make those original epics instead of these live-action remakes.

From a financial point of view - and thats what ultimately matters most for Disney - the live-action remakes are the much more safer and therefore logical bet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean didn't they do that with John Carter, A Wrinkle in Time and Tomorrowland... but they just flopped SO hard that it would've been pretty dumb business sense to keep doing it. You could argue that those were simply average to bad films but then it's not like this Lion King remake or Maleficent or BATB were great yet they did amazing business regardless.

When faced with the choice between safe nostalgia entertainment vs. atrocious original films, the audiences will choose one over the other.

but once upon a time, visionary filmmakers used to have the ability and resource to consistently make great films the audiences didn't even know they wanted or needed, in fact, those were the films that drove the industry to where it is today. 

Just now, Brainbug said:

From a financial point of view - and thats what ultimately matters most for Disney - the live-action remakes are the much more safer and therefore logical bet.

Yeah, that's true. The point I guess was not what Disney is doing doesn't make financial sense for themselves, but it's just that this is a sad situation that we're currently in. 

Audiences really should encourage themselves to be less risk averse, there was a time when the industry isn't so nostalgia driven, so audience driven, when new properties can succeed left and right.

Edited by NCsoft