sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

19 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

was just talking about why this might be in the movie's dedicated non spoiler thread... it occurred to me maybe part of why it's not landing is due to some audience members not actually having any real familiarity with either the time period OR the Manson family.... Tarantino seems to assume a base level of knowledge about both those things, and it's possible if you DON'T have that level of knowledge, a lot of why the movie works just... doesn't. And at that point.... all you're left with is a hangout comedy in old clothes. 

Straight up thought this immediately after I caught the movie. For me, loved the fuck out of it. But, figured GA or more casual movie folk would like much less than other Tarantino flicks specifically because of what you say here.

• Like 2

Seeing it tomorrow, really excited and really curious.... most people I know who like Tarantino keep comparing it to Jackie Brown and that's only adding to my anticipation. 

Although to be fair... Jackie Brown also didn't work with a lot of people when it first came out. That one was a grower...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Am I the only one here who considers an under $80M weekend for TLK supremely disappointing??

It’s expected because kids hate it /s   

Spoiler

Nah, but seriously the previews were pretty big. It’s just -55% from true FSS, which is not too far below what I was expecting since it seems like there was a nostalgia rush and reception has been good not great.

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Am I the only one here who considers an under $80M weekend for TLK supremely disappointing??

Its weekdays have been strong though. Despite having an almost identical first and second weekend to Ultron, it will be roughly $40 million ahead of it in gross by the end of this weekend due to the summer weekdays. 

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How many predicted LK second weekend under incredible 2 when reading the cinemacon type of reactions a year ago ?

Aladdin will be closer to TLK's final dom than TLK will be to AEG's. Didn't see that happening.

360 --- 230 --- 590 --- 270 -- 860

AEG could end up a couple below and TLK could technically hit 600 but will still leave it closer to Aladdin.

14 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Btw, aside from Tuesday’s being crazy now playing quite close to TDKR adjusted so far. Basically 2% ahead OW, roughly 2% ahead 2nd weekend looking like. 

Thanks to that Tues, the first week was 4.5% ahead. Same for total would be 548M. I think it’ll beat that thanks to the differing genres, but dunno by all that much.

Just now, cannastop said:

honestly, how good could a CGI remake of The Lion King possibly be?

Well the story is without a doubt very much well under control and I am not numerous in my how good anything Favreau be ? I did bought some of the hype of people that have seen footage and praising it has some of the most impressive ever (Collider type people for example)