sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

4 hours ago, xiazhi said:

That’s how family movies are, less online discussion. That doesn’t mean people have lower interest than other genres.

I was one of the few thinking $500M+ for I2, I think a lot of ignore other than the original’s goodwill or the CBM craze, was the fact no animated/family film since Coco did $150M+, the only family events were Wrinkle and Peter Rabbit and both did under $120M+, and those were in the spring, the family audience was very thirsty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Tarantino made this Hollywood movie for him and his cult but not much more.

Movie is so niche it hurts ans will resonate with very few people.

Funny you say that given I haven't loved or even liked much of what he's done over the past twenty years. If it was more like Django and Basterds with a 40+ summer OW, actually think 150+ would be likely. Actually a lot of Tarantino fans, especially younger ones, will reject it.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I stopped watching The Watchmen trailer the moment if was obvious they ditched the source. It just didn't look appealing to me without iconic characters. Also, Lindelof and "shaping up nicely" don't belong in the same sentence. :lol:

I agree with the overall sentiment that the people running the show don't inspire confidence, but this isn't ditching the source, as much as expanding on it, due to it being a sequel - which still features some of those iconic characters (evident in the trailer, if you watch it in its entirety) 

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

can you stop the panicking mode for one time ? 550 million for dom wont make the movie a failure, so stop overreacting , chill

Edited; It's not worth it. I'll just report your ass and call it a day.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

15 hours ago, baumer said:

I honestly don't think anyone really liked US.  Those who say they did are lying to themselves. They'll watch it again in two years and be horrified at what they are seeing.  It's truly one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.

Just finished. If flat earthers made a horror film that would be it. Probably my least favorite horror film ever. Surprised Audience rating isn't in the 20 range honestly. 1/10. Genuinely enjoyed You've Got Served more.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I agree with the overall sentiment that the people running the show don't inspire confidence

Lindelof's last show was one of the best shows HBO's ever produced though? Most of my confidence comes from him steering the ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Lindelof's last show was one of the best shows HBO's ever produced though? Most of my confidence comes from him steering the ship.

His two big credits, where he was show-runner, are The Leftovers and Lost. Lost was the definition of not knowing what to do with a show and running a good idea and promising production into the fucking ground (he can take solace knowing that post-books GOT finally managed to eclipse his accomplishments).

So, 50-50. To me, that's not inspiring confidence. To you, the opposite - I think that very accurately represents his success rate :) 

Toy Story is "only" the third most succesful franchise of the Pixar brand.

TI & the stupid fish are 1st & Second respectively.

You d think it was their crown jewel.

Edited by The Futurist

44 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Tarantino made this Hollywood movie for him and his cult but not much more.

Movie is so niche it hurts ans will resonate with very few people.

a 350 M WW niche indie movie. Yeah.  Moonlight is shaking. 

Edited by maxalcamo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Y'all put too much faith in these RT audience score ratings

Yeh and only when it suits. Even though its only from one market too. 

1 hour ago, AlexMA said:

It's another metric for viewer satisfaction, which can then lead to good or not so good word of mouth. The higher that score, the more likely that person is to recommend the movie to his friends, thus better legs for the film in question.

Isn’t Lion King like 89% on the audience score thing and still having the biggest drop for a Disney remake despite no direct competition? 

Is that mixed WOM, or fan rush? 

We’ll never know really. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

That’s not good for TLK... :( 

It should’ve been dropping 80% instead. :( 

Well, if the Regal new subscription plan doesn't ramp up that fast this week, you may get another subpar hold next weekend with Hobbs and Shaw taking a lot of PLF and a ton of showings from TLK...

And even if the Regal thing ramps, TLJ never really benefited from Moviepass unlike Jumanji and The Greatest Showman...usually you need a rewatchability to get those late subscription legs to pop...and one thing that seems to echo on here is that "one and done" seems to be all that's needed for TLK...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, if the Regal new subscription plan doesn't ramp up that fast this week, you may get another subpar hold next weekend with Hobbs and Shaw taking a lot of PLF and a ton of showings from TLK...

There have been rumblings that Disney has a demand to keep Lion King in the largest rooms for 3 weeks, so it might not really make a difference. 

Also, I don’t think LK will drop many locations next week with only one film opening: 

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh and only when it suits. Even though its only from one market too. 

Isn’t Lion King like 89% on the audience score thing and still having the biggest drop for a Disney remake despite no direct competition? 

Is that mixed WOM, or fan rush? 

We’ll never know really. 

It opened to 190 million and will still go on to make 360+ more. Bad word of mouth is Justice League BVS (sub 2.0 legs) Fifty Shades of Grey, Valentines Day, Cloverfield etc. Also wow Watchmen had horrific legs wow

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

There have been rumblings that Disney has a demand to keep Lion King in the largest rooms for 3 weeks, so it might not really make a difference. 

Also, I don’t think LK will drop many locations next week with only one film opening: 

It won't drop locations, but it still held 4-6 screens at midsize theaters this week...that's gonna be gone next week...and even if you hold a theater, losing 50-66% of your showings still hurts...ask Endgame...

And my local PLFs are splitting Hobbs and Shaw now (with Dolby, the more popular one, going to H&S)...that's gonna count, too...

I mean, 50%+ drop would again be in the cards for weekend #3 for TLK, even as a family film...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It won't drop locations, but it still held 4-6 screens at midsize theaters this week...that's gonna be gone next week...and even if you hold a theater, losing 50-66% of your showings still hurts...ask Endgame...

And my local PLFs are splitting Hobbs and Shaw now (with Dolby, the more popular one, going to H&S)...that's gonna count, too...

I mean, 50%+ drop would again be in the cards for weekend #3 for TLK, even as a family film...

i hope that you are wrong but finger crossed

Edited by john2000