sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

14 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I just don’t understand how someone could have possibly OK’ed that. What is it even being used for? That’s like 3 Endgame’s of budget!

Well close to a third of the money goes to the Tolkien estate, so that's that, and the rest would be the budget for at least 4-5 seasons, which all things considered isn't THAT unrealistic when you think about what they're creating. And if it's a hit and they make even more seasons, oh it will go way past $1 billion. The $1 billion was a given since the start, when reports came that they'd spend over half a billion for the first two seasons alone (about 300 million went to the Tolkien estate for the rights). It will probably take at least 4 or 5 seasons (if not more) and who knows how many years for Amazon to even consider this a profitable endeavor. And that's only if it's actually good. The pressure on J. A. Bayona is going to be insane, would certainly not want to be that guy, potentially behind one of the most expensive flops in the history of entertainment. Would certainly dwarf anything Hollywood has ever done.

Edited by AlexMA
  • Like 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Imagine spending 1B on 5 seasons of a show and finding out halfway through season 1 that people don’t like it much :ph34r:   

Not sating that *will* happen, but what a nightmare ‘twould be

My Prime subscription has been going up almost every single year (I use it almost exclusively for free delivery).

I better get a really good LotR TV series out of this is more or less what I am sayin'. :ph34r:

(mind the free delivery has been really worth it - but I will still play my LotR Loony card with pride ;))

===

As said last post though, I doubt they've spent 1b upfront.  It's the 250m rights fee going down the drain which would hurt, as well as the upfront costs that happen at the start of a series.  That'd still be a lot of cash, but I tend to think if they need to pull the plug they can do it without having to write off the whole 1b in total.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jedijake said:

What is Amazon going to do with LOTR? The movies were masterpieces (LOTR that is not Hobbit). 

Exploring the Second Age is all we know.  Numenor has been heavily featured in minimal advertising, as has Mordor.

Also implications that it's going to take place over a period of time.  If I had to guess, the Fall of Numenor is gonna be at least one of the things they look at.  I mean, it's right there just begging to be told as an epic.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamora said:

Finally got around to seeing Iron Man Jr, uh I mean Spider-Man, and all I gotta say is I'm glad I had a free ticket.

Yeah, it was piece of shit movie. And it's not even a movie, it's 2 hour ad of MCU, Tony Stark and Sony product placement, directed by Artificial Intelligence. And It's definitely not Spider Man movie, more like Iron Man spin-off "Son of Tony".

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

And since it is called The Lord of the Rings (on Prime), good bets we get the Last Alliance of Elves and Men eventually.

If I also had to guess, we're gonna get Pretty Boy Sauron doin' his thing.  Again, highlighting Numenor is just askin' for it.

Lots of juicy things went down in the Second Age.  Ripe for a 40 to 50 episode epic.

If they can pull it off.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And since it is called The Lord of the Rings (on Prime), good bets we get the Last Alliance of Elves and Men eventually.

If I also had to guess, we're gonna get Pretty Boy Sauron doin' his thing.  Again, highlighting Numenor is just askin' for it.

Lots of juicy things went down in the Second Age.  Ripe for a 40 to 50 episode epic.

If they can pull it off.

Thats a very big If imo. This series will definetly be compared to LOTR trilogy, no matter that they are different mediums. And standing out from the shadow of the greatest film trilogy of all time? Thats one monumental task.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Thats a very big If imo. This series will definetly be compared to LOTR trilogy, no matter that they are different mediums. And standing out from the shadow of the greatest film trilogy of all time? Thats one monumental task.

I just hope people Let it Just Be Good.  Let it find its own voice and don't insist on it "doing justice" to Tolkien, whatever the heck that is supposed to mean.

Expecting it to be a continuation of One of the Best Trilogies of All Time?  Just setting yourself up for disappointment if you do that.  Let it try to get its footing and tell a tale worth telling.  Or several.

And, really, telling a tale worth telling is what it's ultimately all about, no?

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

I just hope people Let it Just Be Good.  Let it find its own voice and don't insist on it "doing justice" to Tolkien, whatever the heck that is supposed to mean.

Expecting it to be a continuation of One of the Best Series of All Time?  Just setting yourself up for disappointment if you do that.  Let it try to get its footing and tell a tale worth telling.  Or several.

And, really, telling a tale worth telling is what it's ultimately all about, no?

I was not meaning myself, more like what i think the general reception for this will come down to. It was the same for The Hobbit movies back in 2012-2014.

I personally will give this a fair chance ofc. Im a Tolkien/Middle-Earth fan big time, so im quite excited.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I was not meaning myself, more like what i think the general reception for this will come down to. It was the same for The Hobbit movies back in 2012-2014.

I personally will give this a fair chance ofc. Im a Tolkien/Middle-Earth fan big time, so im quite excited.

Then you know what I am about to say has at least a hint of truth in it

If folks think Star Wars fans are bad and nutty, whoo-boy, wait 'till the hard core Tolkien purists start back up again. qnqGT0e.png 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Then you know what I am about to say has at least a hint of truth in it

If folks think Star Wars fans are bad and nutty, whoo-boy, wait 'till the hard core Tolkien purists start back up again. qnqGT0e.png 

Oh i know. I know it too well.

• Like 1

That Amazon show is a fanfic. So no bearing on Jackson's LOTR. You can take it or leave it. They named their first announced character Tyra LMAO!. I expect a total mess TBH. They packed the writing staff with GOT writers so they are clearly hoping to copy GOT rather than adapt Tolkien. We'll see. 

33 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Exploring the Second Age is all we know.  Numenor has been heavily featured in minimal advertising, as has Mordor.

Also implications that it's going to take place over a period of time.  If I had to guess, the Fall of Numenor is gonna be at least one of the things they look at.  I mean, it's right there just begging to be told as an epic.

I’m surprised they went with the 2nd age when the 3rd age would have made for better TV. 

Not only does the 3rd age has more battles, it also has familiar locations and names as it focuses mainly on Gondor and Arnor. It also has more (family) drama with the splitting of Arnor. How cool would it have been to see live action series based around the rise of Angmar and its war with Arnor. 

But the second age it is. I doubt they’d cover the entire 3500 years but it would have been interesting to see how they would have tackled it. Would have given an indication as to whether Silmarillion is doable on TV or not. 

Anyways 2nd age has pretty much 3 major events. Nothing happens for the first half of the age. The 3 major events are

1) Creation of the one ring and the subsequent war of elves and Sauron where Sauron is defeated thanks to help from Numenor

2) Second Numenor war against Sauron, Downfall of Numenor

3) Last alliance of men and elves and the definitive battle against Sauron. 

I wonder which of these 3 will the series cover. The last 2 happen within 200 years of each other so perhaps the series will cover those 2

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That Amazon show is a fanfic

You could say the same thing about what HBO's doing with Watchmen, and that's shaping up quite nicely. The show-runners are novices, but that doesn't mean it won't be good especially since they'll be surrounded by veterans.