Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Yes, but big musicals should have at least one breakout song - be it a ballad, or a pop type of song - to keep them relevant in the conversation. I just find it interesting and perhaps explanatory as to MPR's relative lack of success. Whether it's TGS, Moana, ASIB or...*choke* Frozen... you can understand their box office success by pointing to a song or two that resonate. This doesn't have that, apparently.

well that explain MPR b.o world wide so far....maybe next mary need to do rap or reggeton or featuring pit bull...lol

still remember my niece sing along "let it go",like 20 times a day...lol

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yes, but big musicals should have at least one breakout song - be it a ballad, or a pop type of song - to keep them relevant in the conversation. I just find it interesting and perhaps explanatory as to MPR's relative lack of success. Whether it's TGS, Moana, ASIB or...*choke* Frozen... you can understand their box office success by pointing to a song or two that resonate. This doesn't have that, apparently.

I haven’t seen or heard one reference to a single MPR song yet. Did they include any in the trailers?

Just now, AJG said:

I haven’t seen or heard one reference to a single MPR song yet. Did they include any in the trailers?

A few snippets, but nothing memorable. Seems like the overall magical tone and nostalgia for the original was the main selling point. And it might work in the UK over the season (I really do think it will be leggy), but it won't work pretty much anywhere else and even in traditional markets, it limits its reach.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:21 AM, wildphantom said:

It’s not like they make the decision based on the experience. Mary Poppins to UK exhibitors was the golden goose they were going all out for this Christmas. The one they felt would be the biggest hit, so they’ll put it in their biggest, most lucrative screens. Simple as that. 

I agree with you though that Aquaman should be seen massive. 

I imagine Aquaman opened a week earlier so it could have the IMAX screens and other PLFs before Poppins. Bumblebee in comparison has to wait for a few more days before getting IMAX and 4DX. It's already bagged £10m so the decision to release it earlier has paid off.

I do think perhaps cinemas did overestimate Poppins appeal, not that it's doing badly but I suspect they thought it would closer to Beauty and the Beast in terms of OW. 

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Seriously though, if it's showing from 0930 to 2200 every half an hour, I expect more than a £7m OW. Halve the show time count and it would have made the same. 

I think 4DX could have been shared with Aquaman and Bumblebee, IMAX is understandable though.

Found something about the US release of Bublebee, but that includes a formulation I guess matches to the last few pages here

As of this moment, Bumblebee has earned $22 million domestic and $52m worldwide on a $132m budget. That's obviously a heck of a lot lower than any prior Transformers opening, but Paramount/Viacom knowingly traded a bigger opening in the summer for longer legs at Christmas.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/12/24/bumblebee-box-office-is-transformers-prequel-batman-begins-or-x-men-first-class/#7bae4a6f22b6

Thanks to those who have been keeping us updated with numbers for all the new openers over the last few weeks. I’ll admit I only check these threads when the comic book movies are out but I appreciate seeing the numbers and hearing about presales etc. Sorry you’re getting bombarded with nonsense in here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DMan7 said:

I think they meant all 3 of them combined. 

No, I don't think so. Fantastic Beasts will pass 40 mil (at 38 mil right now), Mary Poppins should be on track to 40 million with that opening too. I think they are stating that each movie will make 40 million considering that the two of the three mentioned there will pass 40 million by the end of their run.

49 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I will say it's insane how I keep hearing songs from The Greatest Showman every 30 minutes on the radio (I am subjected to Heart in the office), and I've not heard any snippets of MPR songs anywhere so far.

Because TGS had shitty pop songs (worse than the intentionally shitty pop songs from A Star is Born) that can't be told apart from another generic pop song.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Because TGS had shitty pop songs (worse than the intentionally shitty pop songs from A Star is Born) that can't be told apart from another generic pop song.

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me

• Like 2

Just now, reddevil19 said:

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me

*Barfs*

6 hours ago, Manny G said:

Spider-Man is not getting that much of a boost, Aquaman is already beating it again this monday

To fair you have to wait for the Weekend to say this, it's a toon, toons weekdays aren't that strong, so it's normal for AQM to over take it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, boxofficenerd said:

Poppins is not a flop in the UK, its a massive underperformer. Could flop WW, will have to see how this week goes for it.

For someone who calls him-/herself boxofficenerd you seem to be rather fixated on crying gloom early on

(and I still have no opinion about the movie as it does not interest me beside its # in general as all the other movie's too)

• Like 1