Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

12 hours ago, Heretic said:

Interesting. Arrival might win today, and then Strange will probably win Saturday and Sunday due to family boost during the day. Seems it'll be a close one for the weekend.

Doctor Strange has 3D and IMAX which means it'll likely make more money even with less attendance compared to Arrival.

Nice for Arrival. Good result for the Saturday, it should have a nice hold next weekend if around 40% of its total 4-day came from the Saturday. 

Good for Dr Strange, will pass £20m early this week, aiming for around £23m total. Will see how hard FB hits it this weekend. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Nice for Arrival. Good result for the Saturday, it should have a nice hold next weekend if around 40% of its total 4-day came from the Saturday. 

Good for Dr Strange, will pass £20m early this week, aiming for around £23m total. Will see how hard FB hits it this weekend. 

It's strange that it didn't do as well on Thursday/Friday, it'll do well midweek as it'll have solid WOM. 

Fantastic Beasts is the only big release next week, I'm thinking £8-9m at the moment £10m+ wouldn't surprised me.

Yeah, I'm expecting somewhere between £10-12m for FB, similar ranges to the last 3 Hunger Games. New Moon also opened to £11.7m. A result like this wouldn't surprise me. Will be very interesting to see where it lands, given the fact it's part of the Potter universe. 

GoF for comparison opened to £14.9m back in 2005, a result that FB will almost certainly not aheive. DH1 opened to £18.3m. Potter was just a monster at the UK BO. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Yeah, I'm expecting somewhere between £10-12m for FB, similar ranges to the last 3 Hunger Games. New Moon also opened to £11.7m. A result like this wouldn't surprise me. Will be very interesting to see where it lands, given the fact it's part of the Potter universe. 

GoF for comparison opened to £14.9m back in 2005, a result that FB will almost certainly not aheive. DH1 opened to £18.3m. Potter was just a monster at the UK BO. 

I think Warner Bros would be more than happy if it matches the sort of numbers done by Twilight and The Hunger Games. Not that £8-9m would be a bad OW but it would be the first time since 2008 that the mid November slot hasn't cracked £10m on OW. 

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Arrival (eOne) $3.63m (£2.92m) $3.63m (£2.92m)
2 Doctor Strange(Disney) $2.92m (£2.34m) $24.4m (£19.58m)
3 Trolls (Fox) $2.26m (£1.81m) $24.1m (£19.32m)
4 The Accountant(WB) $1.27m (£1.02m) $4.51m (£3.62m)
5 A Street Cat Named Bob(Sony) $1.07m (£860,000) $3.24m (£2.6m)
  • Like 4