cannastop

D23 Expo 2019 Aug 23-25 | DONE

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I don’t think I pay extra for the 4K Netflix here in the UK. Maybe a US thing. 

Well I could be misremembering some different restriction on 4k or another service entirely.  I don't have any of the streaming services at the moment (no real need) except for Prime which I have for shipping, so it's basically down to memory and what not.

If so, disregard that comment about 4k. :)

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That recent price jump just for HD, still pisses me off.  If I keep Netflix I'll probably downgrade to SD for $8.99m but even that is looking iffy if I have Hulu + Disney + ESPN + for $12.99 at 4k which is what I'm paying for Netflix alone now at HD.

Ah. good I wasn't misremembering.  Carry on then. 👍

Just now, TalismanRing said:

To get 4k on Netflix is $15.99 (with 4 screens)

Yeah, I just checked coz I was curious:

Netflix's most popular plan, which had cost $10.99 a month for two HD streams, will now cost $12.99. The basic $7.99 non-HD plan will now be $8.99, while the premium plan allowing four simultaneous 4K streams increase $2 to $15.99 per month.

So three tiers of pricing:  SD, HD, and 4k.  Thanks for the clarification, :)

I think the best thing that we need to enjoy while it lasts is that for the next few years until things shake out we’re getting what seems to be approaching a dozen streaming services spending billions on original content. A lot of that content is SciFi/Fantasy that previously nobody wanted to make. Plus it’s all getting cinema quality CGI. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

To get 4k on Netflix is $15.99 (with 4 screens)

See we’re £9.99 here in the UK for everything. 

I wonder how Disney plus will work here, since Hulu and ESPN don’t exist in the UK. And no one here is remotely interested in American sports lol. 

50 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Free 4K?  Damn, they really DO want to kick Netflix in the nuts, don’t they? :lol:

(I don’t think Netflix is doomed, not by a long shot, but this is a serious shot across their bow, and very probably a huge wake-up call)

Well Netflix does have a lot of debt...

18 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I think the best thing that we need to enjoy while it lasts is that for the next few years until things shake out we’re getting what seems to be approaching a dozen streaming services spending billions on original content. A lot of that content is SciFi/Fantasy that previously nobody wanted to make. Plus it’s all getting cinema quality CGI. 

Or you could be like Apple and spend billions on middling sitcoms. :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well Netflix does have a lot of debt...

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Or you could be like Apple and spend billions on middling sitcoms. :ph34r:

It’ll be interesting to compare subscriber numbers for the three of them worldwide :) 

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

In India, we will apparently get Disney+ at $14 p.a.

Goodbye Netflix, Welcome Disney+

Thats quite cheap if true, much cheaper than Netflix. I just hope we get it simultaneously with the rest of the world. 

• Like 2

People will riot in 2027 (2032 ?) in the streets when each streming service get to 25$-30$ a month because banks will have waited for too long for these services to be profitable.

Should be fun.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Do they have to publicly disclose that? I wonder.

I’m sure they will, maybe only if the numbers look good. 

15 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I guess not Hulu. As Hotstar don't have Hulu content. ESPN ain't needed as Hotstar already has rights for all major cricket tournaments.

So just the basic then, think that’s what'll happen here in the UK. I actually think Disney+ will just be an add on to an existing app here, NOW TV, rather than its own thing.