Eric Lasagna

IT: CHAPTER TWO WEEKEND THREAD | 91M DOM, 94M OS, 185M WW | Read first post for rules

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think it'll skew older than normal comic book movies if only because WB is very clearly selling it as a drama as opposed to an action film, which I think will help legs. Or maybe it'll have terrible WoM because of a lack of action. Who knows!

I don't dispute it will turn a nice profit.  250M feels more logical than 210.  I just think Shawn's not wrong in thinking the movie's going to be ridiculously front-loaded.  

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This isn't true. We have films like OUTAIH being carried by older men in terms of legs. And films like The Mule (I know it also had christmas), Green Book, and Rocketman wouldn't have had such good legs if older men didn't watch them.

Aside from OUATIH none of those movies cracked 200M.

That film wouldn't have made as nearly as much as it did if it wasn't for the Oscar and festival buzz.

The Oscars helped tack off a nice profit, but that film was buzzing without the Oscars.  It was all about Gaga and the soundtrack.

Also what you said about Pika Pika probably won't happen here considering the fact that the second trailer tanked quite a bit in views compared to the first while second Joker trailer really isn't seeming to.

Because we've had such a good track record of predictions based on Trailer Views.

6 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Because we've had such a good track record of predictions based on Trailer Views.

But we've had a great track record of predictions based on trailer views for movies with clowns

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Aside from OUATIH none of those movies cracked 200M.

Well, how about American Sniper or the Mission Impossible movies (these movies certainly have a lot of older audiences watching them, at least more than any other modern day blockbuster). Most Leo Dicaprio movies leg well and they have a sizably large old audience.

I would say we have. Pika Pika was one of the rare outliers. Most films in this list made a billion WW or looking to make a billion WW (and one of those also became the highest grossing horror film WW): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-viewed_online_videos_in_the_first_24_hours

The only reason we would have any reason to worry is if Joker Trailer 2 had a drop off like Pikachu but it didn't. Joker Trailer 1 has less views than Pikachu Trailer 1 but Joker Trailer 2 has the same views as Pikachu trailer 2 already.

The Oscars helped tack off a nice profit, but that film was buzzing without the Oscars.  It was all about Gaga and the soundtrack.

Movie would have opened to around 30 mil if it was all about Gaga and the soundtrack if you ask me. The festival buzz and people talking about Gaga potentially getting nominated for an Oscar (and at that time, Gaga seemed like a frontrunner for the win) gave the film a lot of momentum leading up to release.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eric! said:

Better than 2016. We got nothing until November when Doctor Strange/Beasts/Moana did it back-to-back-to-back

And the only movies that honestly have a chance to fall into the 200m range the rest of the year are probably Joker and Jumanji, unless something else surprises (and those could overperform/perform closer the Jumanji 2017 respectively).

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

And the only movies that honestly have a chance to fall into the 200m range the rest of the year are probably Joker and Jumanji, unless something else surprises (and those could overperform/perform closer the Jumanji 2017 respectively).

Less than 12 movies doing over $200m would be the first time since 2015 that's happened.

Edited by cookie

Just back from IT Chapter Two. 

That balls-to-the-wall last 90 minutes was really impressive and makes up for a sluggish second act. 

$44m is fantastic if true. A better preview to Friday multiplier than the first chapter. 

4.19x to 3.73x

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

That balls-to-the-wall last 90 minutes wasn’t really impressive and makes up for a sluggish second act. 

You mean was right? How can a not impressive 90 minutes make up for sluggish second act and I agree if that is what you meant. The last act was a lot of fun but the second act got repetitive.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You mean was right? How can a not impressive 90 minutes make up for sluggish second act and I agree if that is what you meant. The last act was a lot of fun but the second act got repetitive.

Whoops sorry, I meant Was. 

Part 2 had a definite comedown at the theatre I used to work at. 11.5M equivalent for Thursday as opposed to the (insane) 19.3M for Part 1 (although Thursday was quite front-loaded there, it rained that day and was beautiful weather the rest of the weekend, and the movie finished Sunday with 120M equivalent).