Eric Lasagna

IT: CHAPTER TWO WEEKEND THREAD | 91M DOM, 94M OS, 185M WW | Read first post for rules

20 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Kinda sucks that nearly every WB movie has come in under estimates/predictions. What are they doing wrong? (Besides not being Disney)

I think WB takes a lot of chances, so you'll have good and bad years. This year, things didn't break the same way as last year. 

Joker is looking to deliver a big win, and I think next year is likely to be an up here for them.

• Like 2

It 2 was about the same as the first movie (fine/10), but did anyone get the trailer for that horror movie about a phone app that predicts people's deaths? It's gotta be up there as one of the goofiest premises I've seen in a long time.

57 minutes ago, Eric! said:

It 2 was about the same as the first movie (fine/10), but did anyone get the trailer for that horror movie about a phone app that predicts people's deaths? It's gotta be up there as one of the goofiest premises I've seen in a long time.

No what was it called? Lol

I only remember Birds of Prey and the new Doctor Sleep trailer with King introduction. 

23 hours ago, RthTIFF said:

Quick stop by between screenings, from about 3 hrs ago I was going with similar to DL 32-33 mark, take another look later 

OK when I took a  really quick look at DL I thought they had 33 with Thu previews, which apparently not, I was including Thu, however it was still under the current est

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RthTIFF said:

OK when I took a  really quick look at DL I thought they had 33 with Thu previews, which apparently not, I was including Thu, however it was still under the current est

Wait, 33 with previews?

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Shazam and The Lego Movie 2 should have swapped dates. The Lego Movie 2 could have done slightly better in April (I think Easter weekend would help a kids film more and has no direct competition either). Shazam would have also been the first superhero movie of the year with a Feb release date which would have seriously helped it.

TBF to WB, February was successful for both The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie so it was a no brainer. Studios aren’t psychic, they can’t tell if a film will do well and in the case of Shazam, they probably wanted a bigger gap between it and Aquaman. 

16 minutes ago, RthTIFF said:

Don't arrive here to tell me this and then not give me Saturday numbers! :winomg:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Reportedly Marty has gone considerably over budget ($125m - now $160m) for The Irishman just as he did for Hugo ($100m to $160/$170m) .  That experience with Hugo is one of the reasons he wasn't getting his film budget approved by studios in the first place and went to Netflix.  (Silence also didn't help)  I'm not sure there's a hand out there firm enough or rather one Scorsese would agree to work under.

Wasn’t Silence and also The Wolf of Wall Street have outside funding? 

I do think some directors need parameters that they have to stick to the budget or they pay the additional costs themselves, I’m always impressed that the likes of Nolan and Eastwood always can stick to their budgets or even be under budget. 

10 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Oh, just stop this shit. It's nothing to do with quality, but brand and licensed/existing product.

The only studio that has something on par where their quality has, indeed, impacted gross, is WB with their DC movies. But even then, Shazam was excellent but got swallowed up by CM and EG, so quality is definitely not the factor you keep banging on about.

Shazam is a kid's movie. How much do you expect it to gross? Plus it didn't click anywhere globally. China really hates it.

• ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, Alli said:

Disney isn't doing anything special. All their successful movies are remakes of their biggest hits. Their original movies all failed. The other studios still have somewhat of a success with their original films.

Their last original movie is coco

4 hours ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Kinda sucks that nearly every WB movie has come in under estimates/predictions. What are they doing wrong? (Besides not being Disney)

In the recent ten years, WB is so disappointing in building their big IPs. Can't they just learn from Disney and Universal?

8 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Yeah, tbh children's films tend to gross very little in comparison to other CBMs

banner-1200x674.jpg

au_movies_toystory4_hero_m_2_cb8226ff.jp

frozen_wide.0.0.jpg

I wouldn't call Pixar kids movies. Frozon is the biggest kid's movie. You set the aim too high for Shazam.

Edited by xiazhi
  • Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, TMP said:

Shazam was great...

It got 7.8 on Maoyan and China's first Saturday actually dropped from Friday. Both are never seen in CBMs in China. I think this shows the problems in Shazam's production that lacks in international appeals.

Edited by xiazhi