Eric Prime

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I was browsing the MarvelStudiosSpoiler Subreddit and people were legit arguing this has more hype than Endgame

It doesn't but that'll all be born out the day tickets go on sale. I am really curious to see exactly what it does on the 29th. I believe @Menor said TROS did 270k/140k MTC1-MTC2 in the first 24 hours. IMO that's the best barometer for hype at this point. 

13 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

Yeah I don’t see people scalping tickets to their local AMC for double the price...

It’ll probably be tight getting tickets to PLF’s on opening weekend, but I always feel people overestimate these things, you could still easily get tickets to Endgame on opening weekend if you went for a regular showing. Not being able to get tickets to something is a thing of the past now that cinemas are digital and aren’t limited to how many prints they receive, if it starts selling out, they can just cancel something else and put a new screen on sale.

45 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Box office pro's estimates seem way off to me. 135? Even in covid that doesn't match up to all this hype.

Hedging their bet. If you go low and the movie beats your estimate, you don't look bad. I believe their first Endgame estimate was $225-260m. 

So if NWH beats by what Endgame did, we're looking at $215-255m! 

• Like 1

Just now, VenomXXR said:

Hedging their bet. If you go low and the movie beats your estimate, you don't look bad. I believe their first Endgame estimate was $225-260m. 

I don't see NWH over $200M, maybe $180M-$190M maximum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

At this point, I feel confident in saying that if the OW numbers come in below $150 million, that’s going to come across as underwhelming. 

Nah, that's gonna be double almost every other opener this year, save 2, in a known leggy season...

Now I may be personally disappointed, but it won't be disappointing or underwhelming...it just won't be as awesomely awesome as I personally wanted...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

Even 185 is too hedged for that. But yeah I've got a 100 mil opening day club (that closes in a little over a week for those interested) and that 210+ range would put it there

I thought they were talking about OD and was about to say thats more than I think but possible. But 100 OW is not possible unless there is a lockdown. The hype is way to much trailer after trailer after event after internet speculation. I dont know if it gets to 200 OW but that is 1000 times more likely than 100.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anti-Pedantic said:

I have a question and I am not sure where to ask this - It's related to Box office of Gone with The Wind (1939) - The movie with most footfalls, supposedly made 200m+ according to Mojo but I found it's false. But its not just Box office that they are wrong on, but they are ridiculous wrong about ticket prices too.

What amazed me is that movie made most of its money after 5th Re-release. First four re-releases from 1940, 1941, 1942, 1947 <--- Till this point it had only made 35m domestic and had reached a footfall of 100m WorldWide (as this is also included its 232 consecutive week of shows in RITZ cinema in London).

In 1954, It was re-released and made $7m (Dom), during these times matinee tickets average price were 90 cents.

In it's re-release of 1963 when average ticket prices were 1.05$, though This movie made $23m (Dom).....

It was again re-released in 1967 (41m Dom), 1974 (36m Dom), 1989 (4.4m Dom) and 1998 (~7m Dom).

So a total of 10 releases over period of 50 years. I have collected data from various newspaper articles and my sum total also comes to around 175m~(which is same as given in George Lucas's Blockbusting, book). It made some 2m (more) in the re-release of 2019.

Well, My question is this -  "How on earth they take its earning of 177m or 200m or whatever and simply find its "Adjusted Gross by Inflation" over 50 years..." 

Even Wikipedia, uses "box-office mojo" as source for this." Most News Articles too nowadays take Mojo as source.

I just wanna know where can I ask this and who can explain me - why the box office of this movie is so distorted.

(Sources of ticket Prices - Hollywood and Box office, John Izod written in 1984)

(Sources of Yearly Box office - News Articles from year 1941, 1945, 1973, 1989 and 2004)

(Sources of Various other Info's - 

1. [Journal of Popular Film vol. 3 iss. 4] Prylvck, Calvin - Front Office, Box Office, and Artistic Freedom (1974) 

2. [The Georgia Historical Quarterly vol. 68 iss. 2] Review by_ Leonard J. Leff - The Filming of Gone With the Wind Gone With The (1984)]

3. [Film Quarterly vol. 35 issue. 2] Bruce A. Austin, Mark J. Nicolich and Thomas Simonet - M. P. A. A. Ratings and the Box Office. Some Tantalizing Statistics (1981)

4. George Lucas's Blockbusting: A Decade-by-Decade Survey of Timeless Movies Including Untold Secrets of Their Financial and Cultural Success. Book by Alex Ben Block.

Once I know which thread I can put this question in - I will edit it to something "Done" if needed.

This is a great question and it looks like you're doing some solid research to actually back up your claims.  It might take some time to figure out.  

Here's the appropriate thread:

• Like 2