Eric Duncan

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

Moderation 

Is it possible to have a discussion about the relative box office of various films without unnecessarily disparaging other films?

Do we have the technology?  

Regards

BOT Staff

[Edit:There was one borderline post that has been hidden.  This was a preemptive intervention.]

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

>Mods come in

>haven't seen anything that bad

>deduce I must be ignoring the right accounts :hahaha:

I'm not ignoring anyone and still can't see which posts are problematic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I think aesthetic and its portrayal of a recognizable, realistic, early-80's city in the midst or a bad economy, with crippling debt and poverty does make Joker a bit more unsettling than those movies, which always feel fantastical, separated from reality. Their grim worlds were horrible, sure, and more disturbing than Joker's, but it always felt like THEIR world, separate from ours, whereas Joker's does feel more adjacent to our own. 

Reality of Joker outside of some of the photography and set design felt completely farcical and outside of reality to me. Thought that was the point even... 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Nobody said that, I meant it's foolish to expect A Cinemascore from this kind of movie.

I don’t think one should expect an A from Joker but a B+ for a CBM is not good either considering CBM have a fan rush opening night. Hence why most well received CBM get anywhere from A- to A+. I personally thought it would get an A- but for whatever reason, those that saw it opening night thought otherwise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don’t think one should expect an A from Joker but a B+ for a CBM is not good either considering CBM have a fan rush opening night. Hence why most well received CBM get anywhere from A- to A+. I personally thought it would get an A- but for whatever reason, those that saw it opening night thought otherwise. 

What about an R rated drama one starring Phoenix with a lot of controversy surrounding it? 

it’s a bit hard to compare directly to the Disney ones. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

For Disney/Marvel cbm (and similar crowdpleasers from DCEU/Sony) A- to A+ cinemascore is a must, sure. But Joker is very far from Disney crowdpleaser, we just don't have a comic book movie like this to compare. Many people actually expected lower Cinemascore than it got, so in this case it's all good.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What about an R rated drama one starring Phoenix with a lot of controversy surrounding it? 

it’s a bit hard to compare directly to the Disney ones. 

This R-rated drama is still based on a CB is it not? And I’m not just comparing it to Disney ones though. Non-Disney CBM with CinemaScores in the A range 
Logan: A- 

Deadpool: A

Deadpool 2: A

DOFP: A 

Wonder Woman: A

Shazam: A 

• Like 1

Just now, Firepower said:

For Disney/Marvel cbm (and DCEU/Sony similar crowdpleasers) A- to A+ cinemascore is a must, sure. But Joker is very far from Disney crowdpleaser, we just don't have a comic book movie like this to compare. Many people actually expected lower Cinemascore than it got, so in this case it's all good.

So people expected the fans who were eager to see the Joker opening night not to like the movie that they rushed out to see? 

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

This R-rated drama is still based on a CB is it not? And I’m not just comparing it to Disney ones though. Non-Disney CBM with CinemaScores in the A range 

So... what? Joker is completely unlike any movie you listed, especially WW and Shazam (both are DCEU equalent of MCU flick), lol. Both Deadpools are very much crowdpleasers, just R-rated, and Logan is still superhero movie with action, humor and good guys vs bad guys.

Edited by Firepower
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

So people expected the fans who were eager to see the Joker opening night not to like the movie that they rushed out to see? 

Do you really think only fans watched it on Thursday? It's always a mix of fans and average Joes, especially here. Again, in almost all cases only crowdpleasers get A cinemascore.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nova said:

Joker isn’t a hero either. I don’t think it can really be compared. 

Logan is maybe the closest, and only 1 point higher.

But yeh, B+ isn’t bad for this. Considering it doesn’t have any action at all really and is a dark drama. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

But yeh, B+ isn’t bad for this. Considering it doesn’t have any action at all really and is a dark drama. 

Probably a better comparison is Mother, which is certified fresh but has an F cinema score.

That's what happens when a movie is disturbing.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think you’re miss understanding my point. We have all agreed that the reason why the majority of CBM get such high cinemascores relative to other genres is because there is a fan rush component that drives that score up. All I am saying is that Joker is a CBM. Joker’s IM is 3x from previews to OD. Which tells me there was a fan rush to see it. For whatever reason whether it’s too dark, a drama, no action etc the fans who rushed out to see it gave it a B+ according to CinemaScore. I just personally expected higher given the amount of rave reviews the movie has gotten. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think you’re miss understanding my point. We have all agreed that the reason why the majority of CBM get such high cinemascores relative to other genres is because there is a fan rush component that drives that score up. All I am saying is that Joker is a CBM. Joker’s IM is 3x from previews to OD. Which tells me there was a fan rush to see it. For whatever reason whether it’s too dark, a drama, no action etc the fans who rushed out to see it gave it a B+ according to CinemaScore. I just personally expected higher given the amount of rave reviews the movie has gotten. 

That’s fine, I just think even some hardcore fans won’t be getting the film they’re expecting. 

I’m not surprised by the B+, and I think it’s good for a film like this. 

• Like 1