sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

Does anyone else get a "low memory" alert from Windows when browsing the forum on Chrome? This started for me a few weeks ago and only happens on this forum... brings everything to a crawl. I submitted a help request about it but never heard back. It's sad because the site used to be so fast for me.

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

right now i am thinking around 800-850 total

That would mean about 450-500 OS. I think it will go higher than that. I have the feeling that the drop in some European countries this weekend can surprise even more than the OW figures.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Joker is exploding because people are tired of superhero movies. They now want smart, brilliant R-rated character study dramas dealing with society's problems featuring masterful performances... and Batman's dad.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

BRO ENDGAME MADE 2.8 BILLION DOLLARS 

No it just shows that with the right material the industry is

7 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I suppose Deadline's number was just a pure guess and not based on the actual data.

I'm kinda wondering about that too.

In other news, that's a very good number for Addams. 

A Will Smith sci-fi movie opening not only much smaller than his previous dud entry in the genre (After Earth) and in the same zone as other genre duds like Jupiter Ascending and Valerian & the City of a Thousand Planets definitely feels like the best example of a "how the mighty have fallen" sign of the times.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

So Joker's second weekend is somewhere between 45m and 70m?  Got it. 👍

To be fair, you could make a deadline article out that range: “Joker laughs off a record second weekend of 45M-70M based on early estimates  on Friday according to sources.” 

• Haha 3

Just now, filmlover said:

A Will Smith sci-fi movie opening not only much smaller than his previous dud entry in the genre (After Earth) and in the same zone as other genre duds like Jupiter Ascending and Valerian & the City of a Thousand Planets definitely feels like the best example of a "how the mighty have fallen" sign of the times.

In 5 years, we will probably look back upon this entire period as "That weird time Ang Lee decided to make movies with high frame rates" similar to how we look at the 00s as "That weird time Zemeckis decided to go all in on the uncanny valley"

10 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Told you guys. Charlie and keyser were playing us. Setting us up for the fall. Truly agents of chaos.

I don’t know about 70m but I don’t see how it goes that low. Just don’t see it. But I will hold off until evening before providing any numbers.

We can all mock Deadline all we want (I do it myself, it's fun!), but there's also Variety, as Ryan Reynolds noted:

19 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Joaquin Phoenix remains the ruler of the North American box office as the second weekend of “Joker” heads for an easy victory with as much as $50 million at 4,374 sites, early estimates showed Friday.

That’s far above a trio of new entries, led by MGM’s animated comedy “The Addams Family” with about $30 million at 4,007 venues — above the high end of forecasts. Will Smith’s “Gemini Man” is coming in under expectations with about $19 million at 3,642 locations.. Adam Levine’s artificial intelligence comedy “Jexi” is showing little traction with about $3 million at 3,600 screens.

That's explicitly based on "early estimates" so is presumably at least a little based on hard data.

Doesn't mean it can't swell from there.  For now let's temper expectations a bit until we get more concrete Friday numbers from our resident Asgardians.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A Star is Orm said:

Not buying those numbers at all. Joker is doing wayyyy more than 2.5x Gemini Man in Salt Lake today. (184 tix sold vs 11 is the current evening count.)

In @keysersoze123 and @Charlie Jatinder we trust!

I do agree that 13M seems very low just based on all historical precedent, weekday holds and the fact that it isn't summer. The Variety 50M would require a 15M Friday which makes more sense. About a 80% jump is still on the lower side, but makes slightly more logical sense and can be explained more easily.

• Like 3