sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

36 minutes ago, Eric Addams said:

When was the last time one of the big six studios failed to have any of their new movies from one year make more than 100M? Because Paramount is right on the verge of doing that, with Terminator their one last shot (which isn't impossible by the by). I know Fox almost did it in 2010, but Narnia 3 managed to just squeeze by the mark

Why haven't they announced a damn sequel to Bumblebee yet?

9 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Did`ent MIB3 make good money?

MIB3 probably did, making 624M ww. Though it's budget is significantly larger than Men In Black International's.

This year's Men In Black International made 253M ww. The production budget alone is listed at 110, and when you factor in P+A, you're probably looking at at least 300 or 350 as the break even point, if not more.

6 minutes ago, kitik said:

Well-received, but didn't make enough. Why look at it as solid foundation to rebuilding the franchise when they can go back to the action overkill of the main franchise? Cause...logic.

Paramount is back in their rut. 2018 they had an ok year. But this year has been really bad, Rocketman was their biggest success! Pet Sematary, What Men Want, and Crawl were their other successes.

Gemini Man and Wonder Park are probably going to be on the list of the biggest bombs of 2019 lists. Which is pretty bad for Paramount. 

Its interesting that Lionsgate and STX have had a better year than Paramount overall. 

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Should have put it on Netflix and it would have done gangbusters...

Bright got like tens of millions of views on that streaming services... 

It is not like they make any money from views too (and Bright was an best off of super popular high concept mixed together), i.e. not sure Netflix buying price offer would have been that interesting.

Edited by Barnack

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Well-received, but didn't make enough. Why look at it as solid foundation to rebuilding the franchise when they can go back to the action overkill of the main franchise? Cause...logic.

Which I don't get because a Bayformers 6 is bound to make less than the fifth one, and Paramount themselves claimed Last Knight already lost over $100m. Why continue going down that path?

If they can't continue Bumblebee at a reasonable budget then just flip the hard reboot switch like they were apparently once going to do anyway.

23 minutes ago, kitik said:

I'm guessing they are waiting on director/writer duo from the first movie. Christine Hodson is busy with DC stuff and Travis Knight is busy with Uncharted. The thing is though the movies both of them are attached to right now are in development hell so maybe they will work on Bumblebee 2 once they inevitably leave the projects they are working on right now.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Which I don't get because a Bayformers 6 is bound to make less than the fifth one, and Paramount themselves claimed Last Knight already lost over $100m. Why continue going down that path?

If they can't continue Bumblebee at a reasonable budget then just flip the hard reboot switch like they were apparently once going to do anyway.

I really wasn't a fan of Bumblebee. I found it slow, all the cutesy, emotional stuff completely missed the target for me, as I kept thinking of better done identical scenes in other movies, but a. they actually TRIED to make a simple, character-centered story that connects with audiences and b. made the action coherent. The best option in my opinion was to ramp up the action in a sequel, yes, but maintain the style of Bumblebee, with a less hyperkinetic director than Bay, a concise plot and good editing, and more development of the robot characters, a la Bee himself, helped by maintaining the human cast down to a minimum and actually giving them character and agency as well.

But that middle ground is clearly impossible to reach with this franchise, for some reason...

18 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Paramount is back in their rut. 2018 they had an ok year. But this year has been really bad, Rocketman was their biggest success! Pet Sematary, What Men Want, and Crawl were their other successes.

Gemini Man and Wonder Park are probably going to be on the list of the biggest bombs of 2019 lists. Which is pretty bad for Paramount. 

Its interesting that Lionsgate and STX have had a better year than Paramount overall. 

A few successes, but not one big hit,and  with Gemini Man, one big bomb.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

We also heard rumors about an animated prequel set on Cybertron, right?

Or at least some sort of animated film.

I think there might've been another rumor too, besides an animated movie or a Bumblebee followup or a Bay-verse sequel. But over the past half year, we've pretty much heard nothing about any of them.  Transformers movie news has been dead silent.

And yet, Paramount is still sitting there with a pretty woeful year. Next year might be a little better, but it's no guarantee.

Did they spend all their Transformers money on signing Tom Cruise instead? Top Gun and the 2 Mission Impossible sequels may make more than the next TF movie, but obviously one doesn't preclude the other.

Now, if Tom Cruise were an Autobot, what would he transform into?

So many choices! Cruise missile? Fighter jet? Motorcycle?

45 minutes ago, Litio said:

Gemini Man concludes Will Smith's bomb Trinity, along with Sony's duo MIB 3 and After Earth. This unbelievable trilogy is going to give $200m+ of profit to Will Smith. Thanks for this amazing job, Sony, Paramount & friends. Your money will be in better hands.:worthy:

I doubt ANYBODY will make a profit out of After Earth....It was that big a bomb.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah not sure how Paramount is gonna turn around the ship unfortunately. Pretty much all their franchises are in limbo other than Mission Impossible which will probably finish with 8. Their animation studio lags behind all the other major ones. Tough road for them ahead.

Reboot Star Trek, but this time do The Next Generation. Tom Hardy's down for anything.

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah not sure how Paramount is gonna turn around the ship unfortunately. Pretty much all their franchises are in limbo other than Mission Impossible which will probably finish with 8. Their animation studio lags behind all the other major ones. Tough road for them ahead.

Sad to see one of the oldest studios in Hollywood .a few years ago it celebrated it's 100th anniversary...in this situation.