sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Mal2 $19.4M | Joker $19.2M | Adam's Family 12M | Zombieland $11.8M | Countdown $8.9M | Black & Blue $8.4M

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

The overwhelming majority of movie palaces were killed by the multiplexes in the 1970s and 80s.

The article points this out.  The headline as is too often now is wrong - probably for click bait.

Yeah, pure clickbait. The classic movie palaces were dead by the mid 70's. A few survived by changing into legitimate  ie,live .. theaters.

And that the kind of film the Palaces showed..the big roadshow attractions..died by the early 70's did not help matters.

I guess the final nail was when Radio City Music Hall in New York City,the ultimate Movie Palace, stopped being a regular run movie theater circa 1980 and became a concert venue, occasionally showing a classic film in a "SPecial Attraction" performance.

The Music Hall was the last palace to continue to  combine a live show with a first run movie,standard for a big city Movie Palace in the 30's and 40's; had died out except for The Radio City Music Hall by the 1950's.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Be curious because unless Friday is way off a standard family type Increase thats a way steeper drop for Mal2 than it should have. 

All these estimates with Mal doing <10x Thursday have me pretty confused. Of course Friday estimates from the trades are pretty meaningless for holdovers.

• Like 1

just noticed that my theater split its PLF screen this weekend:

2 showings for Maleficent, 2 for Joker

edit: and now I just checked my second closest theater, and they're doing 2 for Maleficent and 2 for Zombieland

For both theaters, Maleficent gets the matinee shows, and the R-rated movie gets the night shows

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

All these estimates with Mal doing <10x Thursday have me pretty confused. Of course Friday estimates from the trades are pretty meaningless for holdovers.

Yeah, it makes no sense. 18m should be the goal unless its oddly frontloaded which the last 7 days has given no indication of. 🤷‍♂️ but yeah, without anything concrete theres nothing to work off either. 

7 minutes ago, belligerent talking robot said:

ranking Terminator movies:

so far on the craftmanship score,

1980 - 44.3/45.0

1992 - 44.2/45.0

2003 - 43.2/45.0

2007 - 42.8/45.0

2015 - 42.5/45.0

2019 - 42.2/45.0

1980 - 79/80 + 16 = 96

1992 - 79/80 + 16 = 96

2003 - 78/80 + 15 = 93

2007 - 78/80 + 14 = 92

2015 - 78/80 + 15 = 93

2019 - 78/80 + 15 = 93

OT, but 1st movie club went great today:).  Beetlejuice was a huge hit, and kids think of things you just never did...like apparently how the only way to die and look good is to drown, b/c everyone else in the ghost world all looked monstrous:).

Kudos to me for forgetting that the movie drops an f bomb (even as pg - we talked about how today, that f bomb would now get an automatic pg13...and all the cigarette smoking would make the movie an automatic r:)...and for forgetting there's a "whore house" scene - we didn't really talk about that one, except to say crassness was also a little more accepted in the past:)...

Next up, I made the executive decision to run with Clue, since the comedy angle played so well today...I did make sure to warn them that there is some more crassness and some interesting costumes next time:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Does anyone have anyidea what the Lighthouse is making on Friday or the 3-day weekend? Deadline didnt report on it.

Deadline rarely will report on films in limited release unless there is a major reason to. Also, here at least small films are rarely tracked in depth or reported by the Asgardians. 

Just something you need to get used to. 

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Deadline rarely will report on films in limited release unless there is a major reason to. Also, here at least small films are rarely tracked in depth or reported by the Asgardians. 

That's a shame the Lighthouse is a really good film. Maybe the best I've ever seen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

That's a shame the Lighthouse is a really good film. Maybe the best I've ever seen

Its normal behavior. If a film isnt bombing or doing huge PTA the reporters rarely say anything for films under 1k theaters. Just the way its been in the modern era. 

Glad you liked it, look forward to eventually seeing it. 

29 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Wow, that's high praise. Seeing it next week. Think Pattinson has a shot at a Best Actor nom for this?

36 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I feel like Jatinder has been doing a lot of limited releases lately on the weekends, especially ones having strong OWs or expansions.  

But yeah, as a general rule, people shouldn't expect much beyond the top couple movies when a purple userdrops by and the top 3-5 or so from trade updates.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Wow, that's high praise. Seeing it next week. Think Pattinson has a shot at a Best Actor nom for this?

keep in mind there's a lot of amazing films I haven't seen. And, now that I am thinking, it may not be my number 1, but a close second to my favorite film of all time; The Truman Show. Damn, that film brings me to tears each time I watch it, so inspirational. Its a shame it never won an Oscar. I sure hope The Lighthouse does because a lot of the categories are in play for this film winning.

Also Chris Stuckmann gave the film his best grade an A+ after not giving it to a film for 2 whole years. And imo he's a pretty reliable critic.

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

keep in mind there's a lot of amazing films I haven't seen. And, now that I am thinking, it may not be my number 1, but a close second to my favorite film of all time; The Truman Show. Damn, that film brings me to tears each time I watch it, so inspirational. Its a shame it never won an Oscar. I sure hope The Lighthouse does because a lot of the categories are in play for this film winning.

Also Chris Stuckmann gave the film his best grade an A+ after not giving it to a film for 2 whole years. And imo he's a pretty reliable critic.

Thank you for mentioning Truman Show...I loved it, and that might be a trip for movie club kids...they'd never believe that reality tv didn't really exist before that movie:)...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1