sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

The Shining did a respectable 44M in 1980. Doctor Sleep is not gonna make the same amount after 40 years. Sequels to old movies are having a hard time recapturing that magic.  Top Gun 2 is next, especially since the first one is such a product of its time. The Shining transcends generations and yet the sequel flopped.  BAd Boys 3 will flop too

Edited by Alli

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

Look, I can't stand American Hustle but it was still a big hit. Ditto Silver Linings. If nothing else it won't lose an assload of money like Vice did lol

I'm surprised Russel is still given such big projects though, sounds like a real asshole. Especially with how he treated Tomlin and Amy Adams, and those allegations from his niece. 

I love Silver Linings Playbook. Still don't want his creepy ass to work

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

The Shining did a respectable 44M in 1980. Doctor Sleep is not gonna make the same amount after 40 years. Sequels to old movies are having a hard time recapturing that magic.  Top Gun 2 is next, especially since the first one is such a product of its time. The Shining transcends generations and yet the sequel flopped

I actually don’t think The Shining is as popular nowadays as people think it is. 

For me it was never up there with the other iconic horrors when I was younger. 

13 minutes ago, a2k said:

Recent low opening shockers with notable actors/actresses

ow * multi = dom

5.5 * 2.2 = 12.2 The Kitchen

7.5 * 2.4 = 17.8 mother!

9.0 * 2.3 = 20.5 The Circle

2.2-2.4x with 8-8.5 ow gives CA 17.5-20.5 dom

Frozen2 is around the corner followed by 3rd weekend screen loss so I would bank on the lower-end of that range.

Edit:  Also 2.7 * 2.0 = 5.3 Goldfinch in it's own league

Mother! OW was not shocking lmao. That movie is a total love or hate. I loved it imo. 

Edited by Godzilla

Just now, Krissykins said:

I actually don’t think The Shining is as popular nowadays as people think it is. 

For me it was never up there with the other iconic horrors when I was younger. 

really? for me i see The Shining as the IT horror movie...the standard

I never doubted that Ford v Ferrari would do well simply because it looks like such a fun time at the movies. Plus I imagine the combo of Bale and Damon was a draw to many people. Kinda hard to believe that they've never crossed paths creatively until now (ditto DiCaprio and Pitt earlier this year).

CA flopping is solely down to piss poor marketing and Sony failing to read the room.

the film flopping isn’t Kstews fault. Most reviews have pointed out she is actually good in the film and showing off comedic chops we didn’t know she had. To say the failure on her solely is laughable. She hasn’t had a major hit movie in 7 years; while she is still a household name, it extends mainly to the souring of the Twilight franchise.

Her indies aren’t hits stateside because they aren’t marketed here at all or get major wide releases. They’re all largely well reviewed and successful overseas where these films appeal. She works with niche directors who largely only appeal to cinephiles. She’s done incredible work with Olivier Asayas and was the first US Actress to win a Cesàr (the French Oscars), etc. 

Charlie’s Angels flopped because it’s got no real star power and crap marketing, not because of one woman.

14 minutes ago, harlequinade said:

The marketing for CA was AWFUL. Some of the worst trailers this year, as usual for Sony

Interestingly, since I have 2 in the very low end of the 13-39 female range this movie relied on drawing...

Mine had negative interest in this movie.  They actually now outright refuse movies which they think are pandering to them.  It's off-putting to them to think they need to be sold things they already know.  And I leave them be, b/c I don't need to pay 1st run prices to convince them it's still worth seeing (B2GO wasn't enough draw for me).

It will be interesting to see how directors and writers try to work with this next generation of viewers coming up.  In the article, it even seems to say Hollywood just doesn't know what works outside of supers (and Star Wars and Pixar)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

:thinking: 

It's fascinating that when one doesn't like an actor when a film bombs it's all their fault.  While when loves an actor their film bombing is the fault of everyone else.

This is true but it's also true that people around here become visibly defensive when an actress or a POC actor are dragged for having no boxoffice power whatsoever and tanking a movie. Nobody blinks and they even happily join the dragging circle when the lead is Hunnam or similar safe-4-takedown actor. I remember that last week was full of "Ewan McGregor's boxoffice poison" posts and nobody stepped in.  But state the same about KStew (or about Chadwick Boseman next week) and you get warnings flaring left and right.