sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

He out-acts everyone else in these Star Wars movies and it's not even close, imo

I was so bored during TLJ but Oscar being pretty and Driver being excellent kept me from slipping into a coma lol I think even people who hate the new SW have to admit Driver's performance is the best thing there

• Like 2

At the specialty box office, writer-director Trey Edward Shults' critically acclaimed Waves is on course for a solid opening screen average of $37,000-plus as it opens in New  York and Los Angeles. The A24 drama about a South Florida family stars Kelvin Harrison Jr., Sterling K. Brown, Lucas Hedges, Taylor Russell, Alexa Demie and Renée Elise Goldsberry.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-ford-v-ferrari-runs-charlies-angels-road-1255279

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

He out-acts everyone else in these Star Wars movies and it's not even close, imo

This is true and also a bit of a problem because it has a lopsided effect on the movies. When your MVP isn't on the screen, movie suffers. It's not MVP's fault but director's for he/she didn't find the way to bring that game from the rest (could be writing issues, could be acting issues, could be both). 

7 minutes ago, harlequinade said:

I was so bored during TLJ but Oscar being pretty and Driver being excellent kept me from slipping into a coma lol I think even people who hate the new SW have to admit Driver's performance is the best thing there

TLJ is legit boring (not going into whether it's good or bad, just that it's boring) and so was Looper. That's why I don't trust critics that Knives Out is somehow only fun fun fun. They said so about the other two. Fool me once. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

I don't follow the awards race or twitter bloggers but word on the streets says these are the locks for Best Actor this year. 

Joaquin Phoenix

Eddie Murphy

Adam Sandler

Mads Mikkelsen

Norman Reedus

God bless Kojima

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

TLJ is legit boring (not going into whether it's good or bad, just that it's boring) and so was Looper. That's why I don't trust critics that Knives Out is somehow only fun fun fun. They said so about the other two. Fool me once. 

I actually really liked Looper, but I agree here, I don't trust critic reviews to Knives Out too because they love anything Johnson makes to the point of being clearly biased, that TLJ score is a joke, and I don't even hate it and have no interest in SW. And some points they were making in their reviews make me even more concerned if it's actually good. But hopefully it is, I love the cast, but trailers looked forced and "in your face" to me.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

Ohh, you know what Charlie’s Angels reminds me of? Shaft. It’s actually spooky.

70s franchise, 2000 revival, 2019 third attempt with lukewarm marketing. Shaft was forecasted around 20M and came in at 9 for OW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

I actually really liked Looper, but I agree here, I don't trust critic reviews to Knives Out because they love anything Johnson makes to the point of being clearly biased, that TLJ score is a joke, and I don't even hate it and have no interest in SW. And some points they were making in their reviews make me even more concerned if it's actually good. But hopefully it is, I love the cast, but trailers looked forced and "in your face" to me.

I don't know if a film can be smug but Knives Out sure looks smug to me lol But the last time Craig had this much fun, in Logan Lucky, it ended being a very good movie

• Like 1