Eric Prime

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

Bit of a disappointing opening, but vs summer openers it’s deflated by previews, Fri morn/afternoon, Sun night being hit by school. Deflated further by this specific weekend leading  a lot of people to wait for the upcoming holiday 5-day. Comparing 10-day cumes will give a better sense of how it’s doing and where it’s going.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

127M may be a disappointment to some but what is even more disappointing is all the holdovers and other new releases dropped harsh as if there is a 200m opener in this weekend.  

Frozen did gobble up a lot of screens and the other two openers plus holdover Ford v Ferrari (which held well all things considered) got the rest of the bigger/medium-sized theaters leaving scraps for everything else.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Soul seems a lot more of a sure thing than Onward, which is opening in an unconventional timeframe for Pixar with a director with an unremarkable pedigree. Both Pixar and WDA are heading into very uncertain futures.

Uncertain? You mean they’re daring to release some original films?  
Providing the films are very good they’ll all do just fine.  It just can’t be all sequels, all of the time.  I’m way more looking forward to both Pixar and Disney’s next few animated movies than I have the last few years of sequels. As great as they’ve been. 

Too many releases affecting holdover. Joker did have sub 50% despite F2 and next weekend movies with good WOM will have insane holds. I could see them staying flat after this weekend as F2 wont be playing in that many screens as its OW.

Problem with F2 was all the hype around the character post release. Its one of the biggest merchandised character, youtube views of trailer views only below endgame and of course bullshit reports from fandango on how much its bigger than TLK. That warps view and I remember some Frozen fans saying this is ENDGAME for girls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Irrespective of good hold it will have next weekend, its nothing like Endgame.

But if you abstract all that out, this is great OW for a animated movie. As everyone else said., most sequels drop big. Plus F1 was not screaming for a sequel. On top of it it had much worse reviews as well. May be they should have waited another decade to build generational appeal(but I am skeptical this movie would have pulled that like TLK did).

@Thanos Legion are still confident about F2 beating TLK

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Frozen did gobble up a lot of screens and the other two openers plus holdover Ford v Ferrari (which held well all things considered) got the rest of the bigger/medium-sized theaters leaving scraps for everything else.

Even with Terminator flop and no many tentpole blockbuster in Nov, which should give more room for all the mid-budget fare to breathe, yet too much of them cannibalizing each other and ended up almost no one manage to grab attention.  

On the limited front it seems like both Waves and Honey Boy will stall at $5M at most unless they pick up major nominations (which doesn't seem likely for either now). The "feast or famine" nature of the mainstream box office these days has also extended to specialty films as well.

Also don't think this got much attention since I posted it in The Irishman thread the other day but gonna share it here as well: according to sources The Irishman had made around $5M heading into the weekend while Marriage Story had supposedly made around $1M. Netflix of course continues to keep the lid on their box office numbers.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/laemmle-theatres-reasons-why-no-sale-beverly-hills-music-hall-to-reopen-1202793496/

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Neighborhood and Ferrari’s numbers - WTF are older audiences doing!?!!! 

Probably sitting at home with their feet up in the comfort  of their own living room watching Netflix. Can't really blame them. Streaming is where the movie going experience is heading to.

Edited by Curtis1986

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Nov 22, 2019 1 $41,800,000   4,440 $9,414   $41,800,000 1
Nov 23, 2019 1 $49,800,000 +19% 4,440 $11,216   $91,600,000 2
Nov 24, 2019 1 $35,400,000 -29% 4,440 $7,973   $127,000,000 3

23% Sun drop would add 2.95 more for 130, Sat staying the same. Charlie has already said 42.15 Fri so that's gonna increase at least.

31 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

It happened in 1994. 

On SJU, they theorized the exec's assistant read the script and raved about it, but the exec didn't read it themselves and had no idea who Harriet Tubman is (who knows, maybe they weren't American). They were maybe going off a summary of it being an action adventure story starring a woman, like a Sleeping with the Enemy but set in "olden times". Also the person who objected that Julia Roberts couldn't play the part may not have been explicit about why (because it's so obvious), so the dim bulb exec might have just thought they meant, oh, Julia is too young, wrong hair color, some superficial thing.

I mean, just this week, Brenda Song said she wasn't allowed to audition for Crazy Rich Asians because she was told she wasn't Asian enough. The producers of that project have said other studios were like, "Can't Rachel be white?" So I can believe there are some powerful showbiz people who are massively oblivious idiots when it comes to race, even moreso 25 years ago. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Too many releases affecting holdover. Joker did have sub 50% despite F2 and next weekend movies with good WOM will have insane holds. I could see them staying flat after this weekend as F2 wont be playing in that many screens as its OW.

Problem with F2 was all the hype around the character post release. Its one of the biggest merchandised character, youtube views of trailer views only below endgame and of course bullshit reports from fandango on how much its bigger than TLK. That warps view and I remember some Frozen fans saying this is ENDGAME for girls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Irrespective of good hold it will have next weekend, its nothing like Endgame.

But if you abstract all that out, this is great OW for a animated movie. As everyone else said., most sequels drop big. Plus F1 was not screaming for a sequel. On top of it it had much worse reviews as well. May be they should have waited another decade to build generational appeal(but I am skeptical this movie would have pulled that like TLK did).

@Thanos Legion are still confident about F2 beating TLK

I am sure that the Frozen live-action remake, which will definitely happen in the future, will benefit massively from the nostalgia factor.

• Like 1