Eric Duncan

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

A Beautiful Day has many factors beyond Frozen that ate at it.... not the least of which is the plethora of adult skewing flicks as well as the previews for Knives Out. Frozen being huge played a part but the studio sat on the film as if they just expected cash to flow and this is the result. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The lead girl in KO is really great but the rest of the cast feels wasted. They're barely in it. You can definitely tell they managed to get that cast because it was a week's work for each, if that. 

According to interviews, they were all mostly on set for the 2 month shoot

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

What's he smoking? A Cinemascore and 93 Aud Score on RT. 

He sometimes tells weird things. I remember he said last week that Parasite was most likely to be under $20m in total. But it has already made $16.5m and will surpass $18m by next weekend.

Just now, narniadis said:

A Beautiful Day has many factors beyond Frozen that ate at it.... not the least of which is the plethora of adult skewing flicks as well as the previews for Knives Out. Frozen being huge played a part but the studio sat on the film as if they just expected cash to flow and this is the result. 

tbh this was always gonna be a movie more about staying power than a big opening considering how old it skews (my audience yesterday was made up mostly of seniors so consider this your warning @WrathOfHan). Feeling it could leg it out to a similar total as Bridge of Spies ($72M).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I agree. But my instinct says it wont drop more than 25%. Big movies tend to have good sunday holds. Let us see how things go.

After 2 days Charlie did give a conservative number 🙂

Yeah I think there is some spillover into matinees for sure as they were super full yesterday. But I understand Charlie going conservative after the last two days.

Just now, DAR said:

Harriet would have done better if Julia Roberts was in it

Movie has been one of the more underrated performers this month with how well it's holding. Gonna finish with a higher total than either Doctor Sleep or Last Christmas and with more than double what Charlie's Angels will make (lol that poor movie). Don't think anyone expected that even after it opened.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

tbh this was always gonna be a movie more about staying power than a big opening considering how old it skews (my audience yesterday was made up mostly of seniors so consider this your warning @WrathOfHan). Feeling it could leg it out to a similar total as Bridge of Spies ($72M).

True that, it was never in my 100m potential list but it doesn feel like it just couldnt make headway.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Movie has been one of the more underrated performers this month with how well it's holding. Gonna finish with a higher total than either Doctor Sleep or Last Christmas and with more than double what Charlie's Angels will make (lol that poor movie). Don't think anyone expected that even after it opened.

And the crazy thing is is going to do so with less star power and a very lower theater account than the other movies

I talked about this before, but I feel like after the initial trailer, Beautiful Day's marketing campaign just stopped dead in its tracks. I'm not even talking about a second trailer, I'm also talking about ads and promos, because I didn't see much of them in the ramp up to release (although maybe I'm not looking in the right place). For comparison, I feel like Ford v Ferrari ads were popping up quite a bit and Knives Out ads especially are everywhere.

• Like 4