Eric the Minion

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

39 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Uncertain? You mean they’re daring to release some original films?  

Pixar has done original films, just not a lot of them during this 2010s decade.

In this recent decade (2010s), they've released 4 originals films: Coco (807M), Brave (540M), Inside Out (857M), and The Good Dinosaur (332M).

As for sequels/followups/prequels, they've released 7 of those: Toy Story 3 (1.06B), Cars 2 (562M), Monsters University (744M), Finding Dory (1.02B), Cars 3 (383M), Incredibles 2 (1.2B), and Toy Story 4 (1.07B)

It makes sense as to why they're going back to original standalone films.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Thanksgiving weekend and Dory didn't have the greatest WOM

That had way better reception. Wait till a month for final audience reception. It wont remain at this level. intial crowd is the fanbase. Dory had much better critical reception that pulls in non-fans. Plus Pixar movies have better adult appeal. We will know for sure in week after next but I am confident about this wont be close with Dory.

EDIT: i mean only domestic. Frozen is the biggest animation brand OS for sure.

Edited by keysersoze123

39 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Streaming is where the movie going experience is heading to.

Not really. Streaming isn't going to kill the theater going experience.

The only reason why there's a low opening is because, well, depending on the sequel, it deflates. But not only that, people are most likely waiting to see the movie next week during Thanksgiving compared to this week, where kids are off on those days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Dory's legs also took a noticeable hit from the big breakout of SLOP (which was direct animated competition). 

that cost it like 10-15m. But F2 has way more hype. THat limits potential on legs. but its not so good reviews impacts views outside fan base. I am sure like most winter movies this wont have summer level multi. By the the time 4th week/5th week it will lose tons of show times to J2 and then SW9 will have 2nd biggest release ever(already I can confirm based on number of shows it has at MTC). So this movie wont have anywhere close to holds that 1st one had with F1 had when the biggest movie was Smaug which had meh OW and meh legs.

Edit: I hate to show off but I aced both previews and OW on Thursday evening(when many thought it will hit MTC "tracking" of 160m !!!! ). It just lacks universal acclaim to have crazy run domestic.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That had way better reception. Wait till a month for final audience reception. It wont remain at this level. intial crowd is the fanbase. Dory had much better critical reception that pulls in non-fans. Plus Pixar movies have better adult appeal. We will know for sure in week after next but I am confident about this wont be close with Dory.

EDIT: i mean only domestic. Frozen is the biggest animation brand OS for sure.

Critical reception is important but overrated.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Had some on here been predicting 200+? They had, hadn't they...

No offense but anyone predicting 200mil was being delusional. 127mil is a solid opening. Legs will matter as they always do.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

that cost it like 10-15m. But F2 has way more hype. THat limits potential on legs. but its not so good reviews impacts views outside fan base. I am sure like most winter movies this wont have summer level multi. By the the time 4th week/5th week it will lose tons of show times to J2 and then SW9 will have 2nd biggest release ever(already I can confirm based on number of shows it has at MTC). So this movie wont have anywhere close to holds that 1st one had with F1 had when the biggest movie was Smaug which had meh OW and meh legs.

We won't have a clear picture of where it's headed until after the end of Thanksgiving weekend. FWIW it's not like December is that packed in terms of direct competition. Closest thing in that regard is Playmobil (an obvious flop) and Spies in Disguise (which will probably do modestly at best considering how much it's been delayed), and while other movies like Star Wars, Jumanji, and Little Women will make impacts on various different levels, they'll be aiming at older kids for the most part.

• Like 2

Huge overseas start for Frozen 2.

Domestic is $23m lower than my low end. But I’m sure it’ll leg it out big style especially with the holiday boost all next week and no competition. 

Beautiful Day seemed to open under tracking, I don’t see it doing very well internationally either. 21 Bridges middling. 

Who expected Doctor Sleep to only make $5m more than Countdown, yikes. I guess it says a lot about the marketing when even I haven’t been to see it yet. 

Doctor Sleep being a sequel to a cult movie is the reason that it's a flopped, not the marketing. It is the Bladerunner2049 of this year. Movie aficionados care more about Blade Runner and The Shining then regular people do. Plenty of other horror movies had the same tame marketing campaigns and opened with 25 million.

• Like 3

Starting tomorrow it wont be the PS that drives BO. I just have MTC1 numbers and its at

overall 5044 shows 37348/962149 432373.84 376090.77 pre noon 679 shows 12270/119691 90817.84 90669.37 post 6PM 2266 shows 10701/440744 154631.28 126603.03.

That is like 85% off what D3 had yesterday. So its all walk ins for now. Looking at tickets sold before 12PM shows, families will prefer that to see at cheaper price. So Discount tuesday boost should be big.

• Thanks 1

The Shining is not exactly a cult classic. It made 44M in 1980, that's more than many horror movies released these days. The problem is that the original audience is dead or too old to care. The teens today just didn't care for its sequel