Eric the Ape

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

I just finished my second viewing of TROS, I like it better than the first time. The music is just top notch. I will be seeing it twice more before new year. It is a bit messy but It is also a Star Wars popcorn from the beginning to the end. I think TROS will have better repeat viewing than TLJ. There is a big potential for this in the future. They just need planing and good management. The success of the Mandalorian is a better example.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not sure why anyone's assuming 500 DOM s a lock? A worse multi than TLJ certainly can't be ruled out considering the initial weekend performance. I think 500 is much closer to best case than worst case. TROS seems very likely to be the least attended Skywalker saga SW film (AOTC's 483m adjusted but doesn't have any PLF/3D inflation, so TROS probably needs 30m or so more to win). 

Yeah, I was thinking about this too ~

100% cannot be ruled out.

9 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I would call Jat’s 550-600 or so from after seeing Mon PS very realistic.

I'm not sure why people were assuming <500 million anyway. Monday numbers are totally in the expected range, no overperformance there so I think everyone just overreacted to the lower weekend.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

I'm not sure why people were assuming <500 million anyway. Monday numbers are totally in the expected range, no overperformance there so I think everyone just overreacted to the lower weekend.

Its a legitimate perspective if you are strictly looking at the fact that Jedi did 2.8x. But it ignores all the differences in calendar  / release and competition that happened 2 years ago as well. 

And also yes, traditional BOT overreacting 

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

saw it a couple days ago and my own personal take away way that it was a toothless bore written by a hack piece of shit that can never go deeper than his subject's wikipedia page. there's literally like a fifteen minute flashback scene that's narrated by both popes reading pope francis's biography page back and forth. it's sort of insulting how basic it was. it's also the ugliest movie of the year and jonathan pryce being dubbed by some telemundo actor any time he spoke spanish was something out of a bad sketch. 

Jeez, I didn’t know quality movies made you so mad!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, bamajagala said:

Japan has been devaluing it's currency for 20+ years in an effort to combat a trade imbalance.  Also has kept it's interest rates artificially low to promote growth.  It's been a long deflationary period that has no end in sight.

Sad reality is other major countries are going that route as well. Negative interest rates seen in Euro and I am sure if Trump gets reelected we will see new Fed Reserve that will go that route as well.

19 minutes ago, Menor said:

Well, I’ll certainly agree that an expected daily number shouldn’t cause any range updates, but I think someone could have been reasonably concerned from TROS’s weekend behavior and combination of audience metrics that it would do more like a 26-28 Monday, which is hardly out of historical bounds. I mean, it still could if the PSm ends up a bit on the low side (F2 Mon projection feels a bit too good to be true, so I can’t help but wonder if all the PSm’s he used will be a skosh too high). And I think given O/U 550 with a 26 Mon, I’d go under.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Justin4125 said:

You're acting like a 20 film build up entitles the film to a big box office run? 20+ movies in 10 years is as much a liability as it is a plus. EG made that much DESPITE releasing so many films in such a short time period. I dont think any franchise can make so many movies and maintain interest. Part of TFA's huge box office was the years long wait, as we've seen the SW can't support the same frequency of movies released...

I don't think we've seen that Star Wars can't support that frequency, yet. Out of the 5 films only 1 can really be considered failure.  the other 4  are huge financial successes.  While not a movie, The Mandalorian is has drawn a lot of praise as well. 

The issue  here isn't how many is coming out but rather just making good,  fun, crowd pleasing movies. There also should have been, with the 3 episodes, a better, singular vision. 

4 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Well, I’ll certainly agree that an expected daily number shouldn’t cause any range updates, but I think someone could have been reasonably concerned from TROS’s weekend behavior and combination of audience metrics that it would do more like a 26-28 Monday, which is hardly out of historical bounds. I mean, it still could if the PSm ends up a bit on the low side. And I think given O/U 550 with a 26 Mon, I’d go under.

True, but it's more the fact that it's a Monday and people's ranges are going all over the place. I don't think I've ever seen the first Monday be very predictive of the film's legs, it's almost always pretty much in the expected drop range from the OW. I think Wednesday/Thursday/Friday will tell us much more.

• Like 1

I will see TROS again on the 28th. Interestingly for me, im very excited for it. Maybe ill see it as many times as Last Jedi (5 times) Yes, i still think TROS is a stupid ass film but its also extremely entertaining and funny.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1