Eric the Fall Guy

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Watching the original movie right now. Can’t help but wonder several things.

1. If Luke had a legit role in Force Awakens, does it make it to $1 billion domestic? 

2. If they didn’t kill Luke in TLJ, how much extra would it have made via better legs?

3. If Luke was alive for the new movie, how much bigger would the opening and total be?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

1. If Luke had a legit role in Force Awakens, does it make it to $1 billion domestic? 

Doubt it, the one really maxed out its potential. 

2. If they didn’t kill Luke in TLJ, how much extra would it have made via better legs?

I'd say it gets to $750m in the US

3. If Luke was alive for the new movie, how much bigger would the opening and total be?

If he were front and center in the marketing? Last Jedi sized numbers

1 same bo

2 bigger bo

3 bigger bo

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

At least Force Awakens still has that domestic record. 

I think they’ve both did well. Star Wars will always be Star Wars though. 

It would have been interesting to see EG's run with a late Dec release date.

TFA's DOM record is still not enough to claim winning the decade, though. I think what everyone can agree on is that Disney has all but cornered the market at the box office. We need another studio to step up and at least give the impression that Disney has some competition.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Infinity War Saga is the saga that dominated this decade, not the new Star Wars saga. 

Just as numerous other series were more dominant in the 2000s than the prequels...

27 minutes ago, john2000 said:

180 for the big finale of star wars is dissapointing though, there is no excuse, its not a failure or a disaster , but it is dissapointing 

I expected a drop from TLJ, as did pretty much everyone this time last week. So I can’t see how anyone is disappointed. 

I’ve always thought a final domestic total 10-15% less than TLJ was on the cards. 

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I expected a drop from TLJ, as did pretty much everyone this time last week. So I can’t see how anyone is disappointed. 

I’ve always thought a final domestic total 10-15% less than TLJ was on the cards. 

Just because people realize by week of release that a movie is going to disappoint, doesn’t mean it isn’t disappointing...

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, doublejack said:

It would have been interesting to see EG's run with a late Dec release date.

TFA's DOM record is still not enough to claim winning the decade, though. I think what everyone can agree on is that Disney has all but cornered the market at the box office. We need another studio to step up and at least give the impression that Disney has some competition.

but TFA has won the decade? I’m confused. 
Don’t you win the box office decade by being the biggest grossing movie of the decade?

$936 million vs $858 million. 

Adjusted its $977 million vs $861 million. 

That’s over a $100 million hammering isn’t it? 

Sorry, I keep reacting to these Marvel posts. If I felt it was bait maybe I wouldn’t, but some genuinely do believe it’s the only game in town. It’s madness! 

I love the MCU for the record.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

but TFA has won the decade? I’m confused. 
Don’t you win the box office decade by being the biggest grossing movie of the decade?

$936 million vs $858 million. 

Adjusted its $977 million vs $861 million. 

That’s over a $100 million hammering isn’t it? 

Sorry, I keep reacting to these Marvel posts. If I felt it was bait maybe I wouldn’t, but some genuinely do believe it’s the only game in town. It’s madness! 

I love the MCU for the record.

TFA might have won that battle, but the MCU won the war

45 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

1. 960 M

2. 730 M.

3. 800 M

The potential was there.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, doublejack said:

We need another studio to step up and at least give the impression that Disney has some competition.

Unfortunately, that won’t be possible now that Disney has bought Fox. These bastards pretty much own Hollywood at this point. Entertainment in the 2010s has basically been all about the rise of the Empire, AKA Disney. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Could TFA even have grossed significantly more than $936M? (I’d consider anything above $40M significant at that stage)

Imo, TFA already had everything going for it: It had a great calendar configuration, great WOM and critical reception and weak competition.

I feel like it pretty much reached the peak of what realistically can be reached at today’s domestic box office.

Ofc I’m open for someone with more BO knowledge than me proving me wrong, but I think TFA already reached the highest possible gross at the domestic box office for today’s market. 

Edited by Feanor

15 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

If Luke survived TLJ he would always have to die in TROS. That's the nature of these stories.

Maybe Rian Johnson could have subverted expectations and NOT kill the mentor. Same goes for TROS. It was Luke that controlled Rey all along!