Daxtreme

Disney+ MCU: Wandavision | January 15, 2021 | UNTAGGED SPOILERS ALLOWED! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Menor said:

Hide contents

So my guess is that Monica didn't remember who she was until Wanda brought up Pietro, which would explain why she was wearing the SWORD necklace.

My theory is that she was SWORD agent that was able to go inside. She might have thought that using Pietro might bring Wanda out of whatever illusion is going on.

Agnes definitely knows more than the rest about what's going on, with the way she was ordering Herb around. The theories about her being Agatha Harkness and her husband being Mephisto definitely seem strong now.

Yeah she is suspicious. Wish I hadn't known/was completely blind to that Agatha Harkness thing. Though I still don't have much idea. Though check the last one.

So I guess SWORD/some agency has surrounded Westview. But then why were they running at Monica like an enemy if she was their own agent?

I don't think they were running like an enemy. Feeling like "Annihilation" type situation. SWORD has set a perimeter and sending agents inside.

Are Wanda's twins real or just another part of the fantasy?

Pretty certain Fantasy, but Wanda made animals out of drawings and decorations, may be made babies. Could be all just illusions.

I guess Vision has figured out that something isn't right, very interesting that he didn't bring it up to Wanda. I wonder if he has some subconscious memory of her "rewinding" him before. 

I don't think Vision didn't bring up to Wanda. He ran inside, because he was getting suspicious on Geraldine, so he ran in to check on Wanda safety. Do Vision remember him being an Avenger though. Because there's a dialogue in trailer where Agnes tell Vision that he was dead and he is an Avenger. So may be Agnes don't know it all and is under some mind control thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It was dark, so I guess they were just being precautionary. Lemme watch it again though.

So I checked again @Menor

yeah the foot soldiers were holding guns toward her but guess they weren't/might not be fully aware with her actual identity, and when some top level SWORD agent come, they will realise it.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I agree that Monica is a SWORD agent, but I think when she got inside she was trapped in the illusion and lost her memories (in the second episode she doesn't remember who she is). When Wanda brought up Pietro it brought that memory back. 

I'm pretty sure Vision doesn't (yet) remember he was an Avenger. He and Wanda don't even remember how they met. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

Definitely felt like the comedy was a lot tighter here, and I'm happy about that. I was kind of nervous the rest of the sitcom beats would underwhelm me, but I got a lot of good laughs here and both actors really utilized their comedic talents well. I know this will inevitably go away from that, but I hope these all stay as consistently strong as before in the coming few episodes.

Amazing development this time around.

I might be a bit biased here but goddamn this is shaping up to be great. I can sort of glimpse where this is going and I'm 100% all for it

And, as everyone who watched MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE know, Elizabeth Olsen is unsurprisingly a terrific actress. Those who haven't, well, you're in the know now. So glad she's getting the focus she deserves instead of being relegated to essentially background VFX prop material.

• Like 2

Safe to say Film Crit Hulk isn't a fan:

"The great harm of mystery boxing is that it convinced a generation of writers that mysteries were about creating situations where you have no fucking idea what’s going on and everything is vague. They’re not. Mysteries are actually very clear situations with a driving central question that is also clear (usually who killed X or something). They investigate. New information comes to light and changes the scope of the understanding. And then, in the end, you have utter clarity of the driving questions at the start (even Twin Peaks did this, it just relied on abstract art at times). But nowadays, so many fucking bad mysteries don’t realize their “big reveal” is actually their initial incident and main conflict (and should probably be treated as such). So far, Wandavision is just another example of that. I mean, there’s a reason the breaks in reality feel like the only compelling and real things that happen in this show…"

https://www.patreon.com/posts/watercoolering-3-46555836

Edited by Hatebox

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

"The great harm of mystery boxing is that it convinced a generation of writers that mysteries were about creating situations where you have no fucking idea what’s going on and everything is vague. They’re not. Mysteries are actually very clear situations with a driving central question that is also clear (usually who killed X or something). They investigate. New information comes to light and changes the scope of the understanding. And then, in the end, you have utter clarity of the driving questions at the start (even Twin Peaks did this, it just relied on abstract art at times). But nowadays, so many fucking bad mysteries don’t realize their “big reveal” is actually their initial incident and main conflict (and should probably be treated as such). So far, Wandavision is just another example of that. I mean, there’s a reason the breaks in reality feel like the only compelling and real things that happen in this show…"

Read this one just now and like with most of the time, I agree with him here. Only thing keeping me going here unlike other recent mystery-box shows that I also didn't enjoy much (like Raised By Wolves which I struggled to even complete half-way through) is the shorter runtimes. At this point, I'm ok with saying the only writer who's good at executing them is Damon Lindelof.

Edited by lorddemaxus

9 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Isn't that the point though? The "compelling" bit may vary as the sitcom formula was to primarily let Olsen, Bettany and co. charm it up but all of it is meant to be incredibly unreal. It's Wanda hamming it up in an uncannily simplistic artificial world to escape the complexities of the real world. A world she may have created herself at that, which explains the shifts between Lynchian to the manic energy of this episode as it reflects her constant struggle to maintain a stable façade.

Also, we know a lot more about the dynamics of the MCU than the fictional universes of Twin Peaks and Lost, so those shows could get away with initially setting expectations for a more traditional mystery before slowly and gradually revealing that there are unreasonable, disturbing supernatural forces at play. WandaVision couldn't go that route because we've always known its lead characters are superpowered and its fictional universe is a fantastical one.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Isn't that the point though? The "compelling" bit may vary as the sitcom formula was to primarily let Olsen, Bettany and co. charm it up but all of it is meant to be incredibly unreal. It's Wanda hamming it up in an uncannily simplistic artificial world to escape the complexities of the real world. A world she may have created herself at that, which explains the shifts between Lynchian to the manic energy of this episode as it reflects her constant struggle to maintain a stable façade.

Also, we know a lot more about the dynamics of the MCU than the fictional universes of Twin Peaks and Lost, so those shows could get away with initially setting expectations for a more traditional mystery before slowly and gradually revealing that there are unreasonable, disturbing supernatural forces at play. WandaVision couldn't go that route because we've always known its lead characters are superpowered and its fictional universe is a fantastical one.

They could've made a character who we don't know about and doesn't know much about the mystery itself (like Teyonah Paris's character). That way you can actually create a central mystery here (that's how Lindelof did it in his own superhero mystery-box show) that's driven by the characters and plot itself rather than it all feeling aimless. But of course they couldn't commit to the sitcom gimmick for more than one episode if they took that approach here.

Also the mysteries in Lost weren't compelling because they added supernatural elements later on. They were compelling before that.

Edited by lorddemaxus