Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

from a review:

"She’s one of those overly sympathetic villains it’s impossible to root against, though, so the stakes of 'The Marvels' are pretty low."

I don't understand this sentence. Like it doesn't seem to follow to me. How does a sympathetic antagonist lead to lower stakes?

Dang it managed 60% on RT!

It'll be real interesting to see how this one performs. It does seem like overseas WOM is gonna be really poor, but maybee it can still manage to squeak past $200M worldwide?? It might depend on how strong the other November movies are... *cough*hunger games*cough*

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Squire said:

This is the kind of movie that shows just how flawed RT is. If you look at top critics, it’s rotten. Similar picture at Metacritic. 

The avg is at 5.7 . For reference quantumania and eternals at 5.5 and 5.6 respectively . Not far off.

Then for top critic average 😅

Eternals 5.4

Quantumania 5.4

Marvels 4.8 

The other 2 were languishing in rotten while this is well looking fresh 4 now.

This is why I don't like aggregator sites . Have very vague and  loose rules .

On meta 3/5 is mixed and the system treats it at as mixed . No reviewer deciding . If critic wants his review to be positive ,he will give a score within the required threshold. 

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

On the bright side, after two rotten mcu movies in one year, those people that have been whining about how Disney “pays off” the critics with MCU for a decade can finally shut up. 

Inflation got too high, Disney needs to cut bigger checks 🌚

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hypercortical said:

updating just now, my records say The Marvel is 59.66%, with 119 critics. exactly 1 fresh tomato away from hitting exactly 60.00%. I don't know if there are some hidden reviews or something. I've definitely got all the ones that display. but RT says they have 131 reviews in.

Paging Armond White …paging Armond White.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So other than GOTG 3, what post-Endgame marvel films are NOT " mutilated, chopped up, clunky mess."?

Wakanda Forever. Shang Chi. Eternals for all it’s flaws was not butchered in the editing room.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

4.8 average rating with top critics but 5.7 with normal critics is a pretty big difference. Then again, a lot of these newer reviewers who were added to RottenTomatoes around the past half decade or so come from newer superhero-leaning blogs and websites so this does make sense.

I expect for it to fall soon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Squire said:

This is the kind of movie that shows just how flawed RT is. If you look at top critics, it’s rotten. Similar picture at Metacritic. 

That can work for other films in the other direction too. WW84 being 71% with Top Critics, for example. 

It’s common for top critics and the blogs to differ. 

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

The avg is at 5.7 . For reference quantumania and eternals at 5.5 and 5.6 respectively . Not far off.

Then for top critic average 😅

Eternals 5.4

Quantumania 5.4

Marvels 4.8 

The other 2 were languishing in rotten while this is well looking fresh 4 now.

This is why I don't like aggregator sites . Have very vague and  loose rules .

On meta 3/5 is mixed and the system treats it at as mixed . No reviewer deciding . If critic wants his review to be positive ,he will give a score within the required threshold. 

You’re comparing things that should compliment each other. They’re both review aggregators yes, but they have very different flavors.

Metacritic is about grading a movie precisely whereas RT is about recommending a movie or not.

60% of the RT critics at the moment are saying The Marvels is worth watching, that’s all there’s to it. 

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

You’re comparing things that should compliment each other. They’re both review aggregators yes, but they have very different flavors.

Metacritic is about grading a movie precisely whereas RT is about recommending a movie or not.

60% of the RT critics at the moment are saying The Marvels is worth watching, that’s all there’s to it. 

Yeah I know that .That's why I think its very vague and lazy metric . 

So prefer metacritic which does actual grading and has a well set metric that doesn't invite scrutiny.

Audience review pane  for meta is shit though.

4 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

The funkos came though.

Movie critics used to have degrees, class and eloquence. Now they’re 45 year old neckbeards who write for collider and soy face over children’s entertainment. Not saying any conspiracy thing before a mod gets on my ass, just observing the fall of the quality of writing

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/8/2023 at 6:56 PM, kayumanggi said:

I'm working. lol I'll post my thoughts later, but this will divide fans, I think. Very much. I enjoyed this more than QUANTUMANIA, though. So:

GOTG III

THE MARVELS

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA

So yeah, this is pretty much mid to me. The story is pretty much straightforward. The pacing is good and the movie is not boring. I thought the comedy was okay and some of the fight choreographies were great. The chemistry of the three leads was good, although I thought Villani was verging on annoying. This is just me, I guess, since a lot of people have enjoyed her performance. I also thought Captain Marvel had a lighter personality compared to how she was portrayed in her first movie and THE AVENGERS movies. Some vfx were great while others were not so. Not as bad as what was in QUANTUMANIA, though. I just wondered where the place of this one is in the grand scheme of things.

The post-credits scene was the most exciting part for me.

• Thanks 1