Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Women just don't care for for representstion in superhero movies. When I studied marketing it was said that action comedies are primarily targeted towards men, and that's what MCU movies tend to be. If you are going to make a female empowering team up then it atleast needs a love interest but clearly disney just doesnt understand women.

Disney doesn't understand the market anymore. That's their main problem.

And they'd rather take the lazy way out of trying to increase female representation in a male skewing type of fiction that actually put effort into making movies that skew female.

If you want the grossest example of misogyny imaginable, I can't do better than 'screw what women actually want, let's just make them want what men have'.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Basically, what I was talking about on the Marvel’s thread is this:

Film Twitter and the film bros discourse these days — from both sides of the Stuckmann / Willems  or Grace Randolph / Nerdrotic spectrum — have become even more white oriented and clearly not beneath clickbait shit like this. DaCosta attended the actual film premiere one day before. She was celebrating her birthday that happened to be the same day of the film’s opening and same day that the actors and crew were finally able to promote the film. This kind of discourse isn’t Marvel’s fault, and the discourse here on THR is not as bad as that Variety article released days before the film’s release — but as much clickbait non-sense as that one. Which is unfortunate, to say the least.

You are something else man 😂

On 11/21/2023 at 5:17 AM, FunkMiller said:

And they'd rather take the lazy way out of trying to increase female representation in a male skewing type of fiction that actually put effort into making movies that skew female.

If you want the grossest example of misogyny imaginable, I can't do better than 'screw what women actually want, let's just make them want what men have'.

It's because they just dismiss any criticism as misogyny and/or racism.

• Like 4

On 11/20/2023 at 12:35 PM, ZattMurdock said:

Basically, what I was talking about on the Marvel’s thread is this:

Film Twitter and the film bros discourse these days — from both sides of the Stuckmann / Willems  or Grace Randolph / Nerdrotic spectrum — have become even more white oriented and clearly not beneath clickbait shit like this. DaCosta attended the actual film premiere one day before. She was celebrating her birthday that happened to be the same day of the film’s opening and same day that the actors and crew were finally able to promote the film. This kind of discourse isn’t Marvel’s fault, and the discourse here on THR is not as bad as that Variety article released days before the film’s release — but as much clickbait non-sense as that one. Which is unfortunate, to say the least.

It's really unfortunate.

I'm not sure why THR put out that ridiculous hit piece on DaCosta.

The whole discourse around The Marvels has been weird and frankly over the top. 

• Knock It Off 1

Moderation

I understand some of you are not fond of ZattMurdock and his posts, but it's a bridge too far to make fun of him for a post he made outside the forum, especially when he's currently suspended and unable to defend himself here. Please be more respectful towards your fellow BOT members.

• Like 6

what I really want to know is where the "introducing/my name is Ms Marvel/Kamala" and "introducing/my name is Monica/photon(?)" trailers/featurettes were.

I dont think it changed that much, but it just seems irresponsible in general when you're bringing in characters from tv shows

33 minutes ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Moderation

I understand some of you are not fond of ZattMurdock and his posts, but it's a bridge too far to make fun of him for a post he made outside the forum, especially when he's currently suspended and unable to defend himself here. Please be more respectful towards your fellow BOT members.

Yeah. Like I don't like the dude but what's even the point of posting that? The tweet doesn't even have enough engagement for that to be a justification.

• Like 3

On 11/21/2023 at 5:17 AM, FunkMiller said:

The Hunger Games prequel is a big movie for women. That is proven by most of the viewers being women. I believe that Disney could make woman led MCU movies for women but they would need to stop listening to what people on Twitter say that women want and actually look at the films that women go see.

The Hunger Games, Barbie, Twilight, Titanic and many more have shown what women like. People online are just too afraid to admit it because they feel that most women's desires are misogynistic. Most women and girl film goers like the will they/want they romance with the attractive guy with abs. Disney believes that's misogynistic now so they refuse to do it. Even if it's an anti romance like Barbie, they still want that guy there. 

5 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

One thing I think is WILDLY underdiscussed is how well Ant-Man 3 seems to have done among occasional moviegoers and families/teens while The Marvels completely tanked those segments. 

Because people were excited for Ant-Man 3...until they saw it. It's the same reason BvS opened massively.

14 minutes ago, Zak said:

Because people were excited for Ant-Man 3...until they saw it. It's the same reason BvS opened massively.

Except people's theories of the MCU's decline really don't treat Ant-Man 3 as a pure inflection point in the way BvS is treated.  It's usually focused on Eternals/Thor 4 as a starting point 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

52 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Except people's theories of the MCU's decline really don't treat Ant-Man 3 as a pure inflection point in the way BvS is treated.  It's usually focused on Eternals/Thor 4 as a starting point 

Eternals was the starting point. It all adds up. Every lackluster entry added up. Ant-Man 3 was the last straw. If that had the quality of Guardians 3 I believe we would be here talking about how The Marvels dropped around 35-40% from its predecessor and not 79-80%. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Oh I believe Ant-Man 3 was the inflection point. DS2 and Thor 4 were divisive, but I think there was still enough of a “let’s see where this is going” among fans. Black Panther 2 was also well-received and performed well for a sequel to a movie that over performed expectations. Plus this was the big, epic debut of the new Thanos, so you have people invested enough to see him in action.

Then it came out and everybody realized, “okay Marvel’s bullshit now”. Majors’ domestic abuse allegations also hurt fan morale too imo. Like obviously Eternals and stuff ruined the excitement too, but Ant-Man 3 was the last straw. For Marvel, and the superhero genre as a whole.

• Like 5