Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Ms Marvel has better reviews than WandaVision and Black Panther.

Using critic reviews that only review the first few episodes of a show to gauge how well received the entirety of it is doesn't make any sense. It's like universally agreed upon that the show starts off well then falls off after the first couple episodes, so who cares about the tomatometer.

Edited by judestar619

1 hour ago, judestar619 said:

Using critic reviews that only review the first few episodes of a show to gauge how well received the entirety of it is doesn't make any sense. It's like universally agreed upon that the show starts off well then falls off after the first couple episodes, so who cares about the tomatometer.

Every episode has a 95% or higher.

6 hours ago, Sckathian said:

I still don't get Wandavision. For me its the worst effected by Marvel trying to throw out how TV is made. Its a show with nearly all its episodes set around comedy episodes throughout the decades but at no point is it funny. Or even try to be funny. Bizzare show.

If Wandavision had come out more recently rather than be one of the first shows I think it would have been torn apart.

I found the show very funny when it was comedic. Clearly critics and fans agreed as well given the popularity and whopping 23 Emmy nominations.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but this looks a shitty movie. I liked the first one for being so cheesy and fun, but this one smells some Fant4stic crap. 

Brie Larson is a great actress, but she seems off in the trailer. I don't know, she doesn't feel natural. She seems to be not comfortable for some reason. 

In a nutshell, it doesn't feel organic. I'm not digging the direction and this style. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wormow said:

I found the show very funny when it was comedic. Clearly critics and fans agreed as well given the popularity and whopping 23 Emmy nominations.

WandaVision was a pretty good show, it also didn’t feel like a bloated, and somewhat disconnected (between episodes) movie, which is a malady that has been affecting many of the Disney+ shows lately.

At least now, thanks to the Daredevil incident,  we know why so many shows feel like that, the whole not having a showrunner thing certainly makes them feel less cohesive. Hopefully things will get better from now on in that department.

Edited by Arlborn

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm sorry, but this looks a shitty movie. I liked the first one for being so cheesy and fun, but this one smells some Fant4stic crap. 

Brie Larson is a great actress, but she seems off in the trailer. I don't know, she doesn't feel natural. She seems to be not comfortable for some reason. 

In a nutshell, it doesn't feel organic. I'm not digging the direction and this style. 

Confused is the expression she's trying to convey because the script and directing must have stank worse than garbage day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

That wouldn't suprise me . In the recently released MCU book that gave some BTS look in the MCU  past and future, that by 2022 she was pretty much disillusioned with the her role due to constant fan attacks.

Add to that the nothing burger scripts she was given to work with in CM , just being a glorified accessory in EG.

Think she is tired and wants to get on doing  something else. If this really flops or bombs , just do more to undermine her character.

• Like 1

All I can say is that the first two or three episodes of Ms Marvel were excellent and then the show lost focus of what made it compelling. Iman is, in my opinion, the best Marvel lead casting since the one two punch of Tom Holland and Chadwick Boseman in Civil War. It infuriates me how Marvel botched that show. Old Marvel would have stayed with the premise of the first few episodes but new Marvel cares too much about world building nonsense and going off on tangents that just don't belong on that particular show.

Ugh. It makes me angry every time I think about it. And now Iman might have to deal with playing in another bomb. I can't believe that it is considered anti feminist to want female characters to lead movies and shows that are actually written and directed well. I feel like I'm living in bizarro world. Apparently I'm helping incels abuse Brie Larson because I don't want Captain Marvel to be this shallow unlikable shell of a character. Like, how did we get here? How is it feminist to accept every crumb that Marvel feeds you without any evaluation solely because the character is a woman? 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 9

56 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

All I can say is that the first two or three episodes of Ms Marvel were excellent and then the show lost focus of what made it compelling. Iman is, in my opinion, the best Marvel lead casting since the one two punch of Tom Holland and Chadwick Boseman in Civil War. It infuriates me how Marvel botched that show. Old Marvel would have stayed with the premise of the first few episodes but new Marvel cares too much about world building nonsense and going off on tangents that just don't belong on that particular show.

Ugh. It makes me angry every time I think about it. And now Iman might have to deal with playing in another bomb. I can't believe that it is considered anti feminist to want female characters to lead movies and shows that are actually written and directed well. I feel like I'm living in bizarro world. Apparently I'm helping incels abuse Brie Larson because I don't want Captain Marvel to be this shallow unlikable shell of a character. Like, how did we get here? How is it feminist to accept every crumb that Marvel feeds you without any evaluation solely because the character is a woman? 

Yeah that's just a consequence of the politically charged society esp in the US. Not that iam insensitive to this issues going but just hate how they overshadow everything even potential points of criticism or sensible debate and if you don't choose a side ,you get weird looks and buzz words .

Basically "if you are not for us ,you are against us" mentality.

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I wish I was a moderator, because I would have awarded you if I was. This is, word for word, how I feel about Iman and Kamala and Captain Marvel and what have you. Carol could have served as a great successor the the old Marvel guard, but because of the bland material Brie got saddled with, she comes across as so boring and one-dimensional. I wouldn't blame her for bailing if The Marvels bombs. And the Ms. Marvel series definitely nosedives the moment Kamala and Muneeba go to Pakistan. Had that series stayed in Jersey and featured the weird chicken inventor villain from the comics as the main enemy it would've been far better and far more popular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Feige and co are unaware that they "botched" the introduction of Carol in the universe. Not to invalidate your guys' experiences of having your critiques lumped up with the incels' pure misogyny - the volume of their hate was too strong after all and I can't begin to image how Larson felt by videos in 2019 literally analyzing her body language to prove that her castmates loathe her/as an example to avoid in socialization - but they changed up direction and creative team. Some were arguing (pages ago) that they took too many notes from Larson when it came to how this sequel was formed. Is it too little too late? Has the output of the past years of the MCU made it too little too late? Probably, that's what even an opening in the 90s would confirm to me.

But idk, based on what we have seen and what DaCosta has said, they have given Carol layers and complex dynamics this time around. As the type of fan who forced myself to finish Secret Invasion, I'm excited to see that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How is it feminist to accept every crumb that Marvel feeds you without any evaluation solely because the character is a woman? 

This and also big blame should be placed on studios who feed "if you think female/PoC character is badly written you are sexist/racist" narrattive with their own rethoric. "If you didn't like TLJ, you are afraid of women". "If you didn't like ____, you are anti-____ or _____ist". Ghostbusters 2016 director started this to justify his bomb and it became studio's go-to when they want to justify lazy products or misguided ideas or whatever that didn't connect with the audience they don't want to admit is their fault.

6 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

And the Ms. Marvel series definitely nosedives the moment Kamala and Muneeba go to Pakistan. 

7 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Yeah that's just a consequence of the politically charged society esp in the US. Not that iam insensitive to this issues going but just hate how they overshadow everything even potential points of criticism or sensible debate and if you don't choose a side ,you get weird looks and buzz words .

Basically "if you are not for us ,you are against us" mentality.

Example and reason how and why franchises get up their own asses. Ms Marvel could have been a charming coming of age story that had some foreign politcs in the background but adventure and charm firmly at the front. Instead, they brought all that preachy yet ridiculously revisionist shit to the forefront thus losing any hope of a WOM-like sleeper hit. It's no different than misguided idea in FATWS that Flagsmashers were symapthetic fictional representation of sympathetic real life causes/movements/organizations hence why "Don't call them terrorists! Do better!" has been so much ridiculed. Likewise, BPWF and its "sine amor" nonsense tried too hard to be an anti-colonialist manifest first, engaging story second while BP succeeded precisely because all that political shit was background noise in the classic story about inheritance and succession. And don't get me started on atomic bomb scene from Eternals and that laughable moment when Spanish conquerers and Mayans sing kumbaya and follow Barry Keoghan cause he midn-tricked them into loving each other or some shit. Point being, successful CBM send a deeper message through entertainment - great timeless characters, timeless engaging story, timely background (Eg. TDK) - because they know that they aren't in depth take unlike lets say Oppenheimer. But thinking that such a movie is results in fandom rejection and ridicule because the approach remains shallow but this time without entertianment at the front.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

And don't get me started on atomic bomb scene from Eternals and that laughable moment when Spanish conquerers and Mayans sing kumbaya and follow Barry Keoghan cause he midn-tricked them into loving each other or some shit.

So many scenes in eternals just don't work. Most so up its own ass MCU movie I've seen. Slow  Long ass movie,terrible characterisation for the most part, pointless noting burger villians, blandest romance and the most sexless sex scenes I've seen and

It was visually gorgeous I'll give it that. 

Chloe Zhao should stick to character study stories .  Eternals is just a movie utterly devoid of identity.

QM ,TLT and secret invasion are worse but at least you can laugh at the incompetence in those . Eternals is just an utter bore that leaves you with nothing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

So many scenes in eternals just don't work. Most so up its own ass MCU movie I've seen. Slow  Long ass movie,terrible characterisation for the most part, pointless noting burger villians, blandest romance and the most sexless sex scenes I've seen and

Chloe Zhao should stick to character study stories .  Eternals is just a movie utterly devoid of identity.

QM ,TLT and secret invasion are worse but at least you can laugh at the incompetence in those . Eternals is just an utter bore that leaves you with nothing.

On point review! :bravo:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Well since you said about many things in Eternals that didn't hit the mark.

As an Indian, i don't claim that Kingo was anywhere near what a Bollywood Superstar would be. It's like Miles away. Anyonw who has knowledge about Indian cinema would know.

And coming to that, the dance and song sequence was plain horrendous, entire audi was laughing and not in a good way. It was sad to see an Oscar winner presenting something like that, just a little bit of research and practice would be better if they really wanted to put that sequence.

Good thing is that RRR showed how song & dance sequences really go in our movies to the western world, hopefully they forget what Eternals showed.

Big problem was making Gemma Chan as the central character. She had no charisma to pull it out and that movie had Madden, Jolie and Hayek. Jolie's character was too dull IMO. Also if they had to bring in Harry Styles, should have used him in the movie instead of just post credit scene and probably not seen for a long time again !!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Big problem was making Gemma Chan as the central character. She had no charisma to pull it out and that movie had Madden, Jolie and Hayek. Jolie's character was too dull IMO. Also if they had to bring in Harry Styles, should have used him in the movie instead of just post credit scene and probably not seen for a long time again !!!

Madden was  just ok.

Decided to kill Ajak in the first minutes of the movie with zero development. That's the moment when I said yeah this movie is probably gonna be bad. Baffling choice from writers.

Jolly could have been a bad ass warrior but they chose to go for the amnesia plotline again!!!. Third act when she is fighting the villian ,was like who is she? ,what's her Arc? and what  the fuck is she fighting? Just didn't  care at all .

Druig was the absolute worst and had twisted pretentious sense of morality

Can't remember the one who had a crush on icaris. Her plotline was generic as hell.

The only character I liked was Kingo and I understand why he wasn't in the final act but he just completely vanished from the movie after that.

Makari was barely in the film and she was fun.

Phastos was just there for the heavy handed commentary on atomic bomb and providing macguffin technology used in the third act. Barely in the film.

Third act was just CGI fest about characters I gave zero fucks about.

Gemma chan is definitely not a choice for a lead but the whole movie completely drops the ball in terms of character , This movie completely fails it's characters. 

Eternals is a clear example on how not to write an ensemble film. 

• Like 1