Eric the Minion

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

This should have been Captain Marvel 2

Marvel made a big branding mistake and risked another movie to disaster. 

People aren't aware about this film and honestly speaking they never will be. 

Atleast with Captain Marvel 2,  they knew about the prequel. 

The underperformance will be blamed on Brie when it's actually Marvel's one of the biggest mistake 

• Astonished 1

27 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

This should have been Captain Marvel 2

Marvel made a big branding mistake and risked another movie to disaster. 

People aren't aware about this film and honestly speaking they never will be. 

Atleast with Captain Marvel 2,  they knew about the prequel. 

The underperformance will be blamed on Brie when it's actually Marvel's one of the biggest mistake 

It´s a MCU movie...of course poeple are going to be aware of this. People aren´t aware of this movie right now because the movie isn´t coming out before November and proper marketing hasn´t started. The movie is called "The Marvels". Ain´t like they called it A-force or something. "Marvel" is still there. I don´t get why people are so pressed about the title... The movie will be marketed to hell as all MCU movies are. Awareness is never a problem for a MCU movie. If this movie flops it won´t be because of awareness but rather interest/quality

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

It´s a MCU movie...of course poeple are going to be aware of this. People aren´t aware of this movie right now because the movie isn´t coming out before November and proper marketing hasn´t started. The movie is called "The Marvels". Ain´t like they called it A-force or something. "Marvel" is still there. I don´t get why people are so pressed about the title... The movie will be marketed to hell as all MCU movies are. Awareness is never a problem for a MCU movie. If this movie flops it won´t be because of awareness but rather interest/quality

Yeah, interest will be affected by the title. Awareness isn't a problem.

People will know that The Marvels is coming just like they would know that a Captain Marvel 2 is coming.

It's just Captain Marvel 2 is more interesting than The Marvels

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

If we go by quorum tracking, awareness is low at present. Its current awareness is 43%; it will need 60%+ final awareness to get past 300M if the quality is good.

1 minute ago, Willowra said:

If we go by quorum tracking, awareness is low at present. Its current awareness is 43%; it will need 60%+ final awareness to get past 300M if the quality is good.

The movie won't be out until November. Awareness isn't going to be high when there's not even a trailer yet. 

1 minute ago, JWR said:

The movie won't be out until November. Awareness isn't going to be high when there's not even a trailer yet. 

I think WF, L&T & MoM awareness was 50+ or close to 50 before the release of trailer. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

I think WF, L&T & MoM awareness was 50+ or close to 50 before the release of trailer. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong.

The thing is both WF and MoM were helped by outside circumstances as well, WF with Chadwick's passing and Leiticia Wright stuff and Dr Strange with Wandavision, Loki and most importantly NWH. L&T's trailer was released less than 3 months before release. 

Anyway a moot point since trailer release for MoM was 5 months before release and for WF 3.5 months before release whereas this film is still nearly 7 months away

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dudalb said:

I wonder if saying a lot of shit is why Snierder left Variety. Writing for Variety is the most prestigious job you can get in the world of Entertainment Journalism. 

LOL, they have Clayton Davis on their payroll and you can't find a bigger joke than that guy. Variety isn't what it used to be that's for sure and therefore not a valid argument to discredit Sneider. 

Also, Sneider didn't single out Larson only. He says Mahershalla Ali has similar problem with Blade (discarded script set up Blade's daughter as the star). Where I defer from Sneider is that I think Larson and Ali have absolute right to be pissed, while he thinks that's diva behavior. I don't. They earned it.

On 3/14/2023 at 10:06 PM, THUNDER BIRD said:

Nah he's right, Captain Marvel 2 >> The Marvels as far as Box Office goes.

Imagine Iron Man 2 being titled "The Armors" or Captain America Civil War be titled just "Civil War".

One problem in post endgame is MCU overestimating how much people care about side characters, and in this case Ms Marvel and whatever is the name of that Wandavision girl. 

Quoted for truth especially the bolded. These 2 additions didn't earn to be equal to CM. One didn't even have acting experience prior to her flop show, while the other left no mark as a side character (Agatha was the breakout of WV).

As for Larson advocating for all-female team-up, I'm pretty sure she meant MCU all-star female team (CM, Wanda, GOTG women, Wasp, Dora Milaje, Shuri) not CM+ Two Literal Who's. But whatever. I have no beef with actors who are angry cause they were promised to headline movies only to see that changed into team or passing the torch nonsense. They did nothing wrong in my book. Studio let them down.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

As for Larson advocating for all-female team-up, I'm pretty sure she meant MCU all-star female team (CM, Wanda, GOTG women, Wasp, Dora Milaje, Shuri) not CM+ Two Literal Who's. But whatever. I have no beef with actors who are angry cause they were promised to headline movies only to see that changed into team or passing the torch nonsense. They did nothing wrong in my book. Studio let them down.

As I recall, Brie herself said before the release of Captain Marvel that she wanted Ms. Marvel in the sequel, and as far as Monica Rambeau is concerned, she was in CM, so she was anyway going to be in the sequel. This guy was basically trying to create a narrative that Brie hates black people by saying that she had a beef with Teyonah on set. If I were Disney, I would have taken this fake news very seriously. After creating the narrative that she hates white men, this is another narrative some people are now trying to create.

Edited by Willowra
  • ...wtf 1

52 minutes ago, Willowra said:

As I recall, Brie herself said before the release of Captain Marvel that she wanted Ms. Marvel in the sequel, and as far as Monica Rambeau is concerned, she was in CM, so she was anyway going to be in the sequel. This guy was basically trying to create a narrative that Brie hates black people by saying that she had a beef with Teyonah on set. If I were Disney, I would have taken this fake news very seriously. After creating the narrative that she hates white men, this is another narrative some people are now trying to create.

What crock of BS is this projection of yours! Seriously, get help. It's only you who see it that way and no one else. 

Also, saying you want a character in the sequel=/= I want the character to be equal with me. There's no reason for other 2 to be equal with CM. None. 

Edited by Valonqar

I have just returned from another trip to visit my generally-conservative-but-not-terminally-online father whose favourite MCU film by miles is Captain Marvel precisely because it has somewhat generic qualities and is new-watch friendly alongside a more internal struggle, a focus on character interactions, and no sky-beam. He is really excited that there's a Captain Marvel 2 (and Guardians 3 since the first of those is his other fave), having not bothered with the MCU since Spiderman NWH which to him was confusing and just had a bunch of noisy incoherent stuff in.

The real world is so different from online when it comes to CM and Brie Larson it's insane.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

What crock of BS is this projection of yours! Seriously, get help. It's only you who it that way and no one else. 

Also, saying you want a character in the sequel=/= I want the character to be equal with me. There's no reason for other 2 to be equal with CM. None. 

People understand what that guy tried to do, people aren't stupid.

You should read this article before making any assumption

https://ew.com/movies/brie-larson-the-marvels-iman-vellani-is-the-future/

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Quoted for truth especially the bolded. These 2 additions didn't earn to be equal to CM. One didn't even have acting experience prior to her flop show, while the other left no mark as a side character (Agatha was the breakout of WV). As for Larson advocating for all-female team-up, I'm pretty sure she meant MCU all-star female team (CM, Wanda, GOTG women, Wasp, Dora Milaje, Shuri) not CM+ Two Literal Who's.

So is my assumption that, of course, the film will really be marketed as Captain Marvel 2/Captain Marvel & Friends just off base (no matter each character's relative role in the script)?

To take the other guy's example "Captain America Civil War be titled just "Civil War" is pretty literally what happened. The actual marketing stressed Civil War and the name "CA: Civil War" is discordant with the film's marketing that presented Iron Man as a co-leading role. It's sort of wild that they passed on explicitly using Iron Man in the film's title but audiences easily picked up that it was his movie too.

2 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

So is my assumption that, of course, the film will really be marketed as Captain Marvel 2/Captain Marvel & Friends just off base (no matter each character's relative role in the script)?

To take the other guy's example "Captain America Civil War be titled just "Civil War" is pretty literally what happened. The actual marketing stressed Civil War and the name "CA: Civil War" is discordant with the film's marketing that presented Iron Man as a co-leading role. It's sort of wild that they passed on explicitly using Iron Man in the film's title but audiences easily picked up that it was his movie too.

Though the difference is that Cap kept his name in the title and Iron Man movies made more money than Cap movies so no wonder marketing emphasized him. OTOH, there's no reason to take the title away from CM nor to emphasize the other two in marketing since people don't know them. So it's a very weird choice. 

I'll just drop the CW point instead of going further down the rabbit hole.

Anyways re: the weird name, I just assumed it was intended to boost Ms. Marvel D+ show (and, to a lesser extent, Wandavision) while doing no harm to Captain Marvel 2 and providing some help to it (if Ms. Marvel was successful). I just don't think it's a large lift to get audiences to associate CM2 with "the marvels." The actual poster for the film, if it mirrors the rest of the marketing, is much weirder to me than the name. Birds of Prey barely has Harley Quinn in the title despite that being the film's obvious selling point. You can debate impact of name on the margins but poster, trailer, etc. all easily communicated that Robbie was the star of the film. 

The Marvels' first official poster really doesn't do that.  fplwbzoaaaedkev-1676653861423.jpg

Larson is centered but she's visually smaller and the horizon brings your attention on Ms. Marvel. It doesn't send the visual language I'd expect it to send for Captain Marvel 2. 

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

This guy was basically trying to create a narrative that Brie hates black people by saying that she had a beef with Teyonah on set.

Where the fuck did you get that from? Not trying to defend the guy btw because he sounds like he's full of it, but there was nothing he said that remotely implied that.