Eric is Anxious

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

13 hours ago, Deathlife said:

Exactly this.

I thought it was going to get torn apart by critics but overall, it's been mixed but leaning positive.

Anyways, it's too late now. Disney are going to feel the affects of their own decisions.

critics did tear it apart. It’s the bloggers praising it.

all critics 60%
Top critics 43%

verified audience 85%….worrying that this number isn’t higher this early.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You can believe it is overrated if you like as everyone is entitled to their opinions but Winter Soldier solidified MCU Captain America's icon status post Avengers. It made him cool to audiences. Captain Marvel desperately needed her own Winter Soldier but Marvel gave Captain Marvel her own Thor: The Dark World instead. 

almost as if the Secret Invasion storyline was prime material for a Captain Marvel sequel…

Annyway, the Loki finale slapped hard, and I just read that Cap Am 4 got pushed to early 2025, which is the right  move IMO. As I said yesterday, Deadpool 3 is the MCU’s last best chance to get mass audiences back on board, and now it’s the next film in the lineup.

2 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Put in your Cinemascore bets!

I’m going B+ (still think RT can be a bit review bombed with a polarizing movie like this, so I think the actual enjoyment for the movie is a tad bit higher than that 83)

I would say a "C", but thinking about the fellas 3-4 rows below that had the audacity to outright smoke a couple of blunts in front of me, a "C+" to be safe. 

If I knew nothing about Captain Marvel and you had just told me that this was a spoof/parody film of the real thing, I would believe you. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You can believe it is overrated if you like as everyone is entitled to their opinions but Winter Soldier solidified MCU Captain America's icon status post Avengers. It made him cool to audiences. Captain Marvel desperately needed her own Winter Soldier but Marvel gave Captain Marvel her own Thor: The Dark World instead. 

more like skipped right to love and thunder 

21 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

almost as if the Secret Invasion storyline was prime material for a Captain Marvel sequel…

Annyway, the Loki finale slapped hard, and I just read that Cap Am 4 got pushed to early 2025, which is the right  move IMO. As I said yesterday, Deadpool 3 is the MCU’s last best chance to get mass audiences back on board, and now it’s the next film in the lineup.

it will work, Deadpool saved the X-Men franchise , it will work

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Winter Soldier is basically a, love letter to Captain America by Russos

Right from the scene one till the end, it presented Steve Rogers as the coolest & baddest person on the planet.

The fact that movie was great helped, but you didn't even need to watch the full movie, you were sold on Captain America the moment he faught a bunch of goons in an elevator and then jumped of it, capped by him fighting hand to hand combat against a Quintjet.

And this was just Action and badass moments, but biggest achievement of the movie was to showcase Steve Rogers the person, his ideals and his immovable will.

That is important, Steve Rogers the person was perfectly presented alongside Steve Rogers the Asskicker. 

What a pitch perfect movie and even more perfect character presentation.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I would say a "C", but thinking about the fellas 3-4 rows below that had the audacity to outright smoke a couple of blunts in front of me, a "C+" to be safe. 

If I knew nothing about Captain Marvel and you had just told me that this was a spoof/parody film of the real thing, I would believe you. 

You should have asked for one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

Lol, why is the weekend thread locked? Have I missed some multiverse box office forum where comments on this movie have been massive flame wars rather than this one’s calm acknowledgement of an incoming flop? 

The thread will unlock when Disney releases numbers officially.

13 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

The thread will unlock when Disney releases numbers officially.

Is that normal practice? Sincere question since I don’t follow weekend threads much. 

Either way I do think the febrile anticipation of this movie’s performance has been greatly exaggerated - the atmosphere is resigned acceptance at this point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Lol, why is the weekend thread locked? Have I missed some multiverse box office forum where comments on this movie have been massive flame wars rather than this one’s calm acknowledgement of an incoming flop? 

Cap wanted it so to keep the flame wars down. And what Cap says goes.

9 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So does that mean we’re getting a masterpiece next? I’m down for that.

PS: I haven’t watched this movie yet, but I gotta say I’m just hoping it isn’t as tedious as The Dark World was. It can be bad in other ways, but being boring as a superhero movie is a big sin.

16 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The overseas reception is pretty bad so far. The RT score doesn't change that fact. The RT score won't change anything one way or the other because it isn't high enough nor is it low enough. 

You could  say that the RT score is in fact….mid.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

There were over 300 pages before the movie even came out, with dozens and dozens of comments straight up deleted by the mod teams and loads of gleefully tearing down of the movie and its universe without even having seen it.

This thread has also been featured in a big forum fully dedicated to finding internet drama to laugh about (and brigade/troll), it has had users who have made accounts just to concern troll the crap out of it, and there has been plenty of complaints distinctly coated in casual sexism(many of them thankfully deleted). 

There has also been plenty of personal attacks from people attacking and defending this movie, loads of warnings and thread bans here. So no, it hasn’t exactly been a field of roses. Only because it wasn’t on the level of toxicity of some earlier DCU and Star Wars threads it doesn’t mean it wasn’t toxic.

• Like 2