Boxofficerules

Weekend Thread: Estimates BB 34, 1917 15.8, Dolittle 12.5, Gentlemen 11, Jumanji 7.9, Turning 7.3 | Bad Boys and 1917 cross 100M, Star Wars 500M

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Dolittle is not actually dropping that bad. 

70m Domestic is not that bad. (I know it's a bomb) 

70m dom is 3.2x multi. Nothing special for a family non-sequel with middling numbers imo.

BB3 could end up doing 3x it's fss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Damn, just like Black Christmas, teens really don’t turn up for these things, not surprising Fantasy Island isn’t tracking well with the under 25 crowd.

They actually do, despite that awful reception, it still getting a $6m OW, movies like Friends Request, that didn't get such a toxic reception, couldn't even cross $2m on OW, and it was RATED R...

7 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

For God's sake, save the horror genre Quiet Place 2, you and Halloween "3"  may be the only ones that work.

Those two movies are locked to decrease, imo.

I have much more hopes on The Invisible Man or Fantasy Island.

Also, I don't think the genre needs to be 'saved' at all, it isn't on the same low level it was in 2015, the year of 2019 was still massive for it, you just can't expect people to show up for movies that can't even get two digits on RT and has zero marketing, once they release decent movies again, it will come alive.

6 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

What surprises me is the fact that The Turning had the same writers from The Conjuring movies...What the hell happened?

I'm also worried that The Conjuring 3 is getting directed by the same guy who directed The Curse of La Llorona

That La Lrona guy is a hack, I just can't believe Warner is going to fuck up The Conjuring Universe, after The Nun brought them almost $180m in profits for God's sake.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

They actually do, despite that awful reception, it still getting a $6m OW, movies like Friends Request, that didn't get such a toxic reception, couldn't even cross $2m on OW, and it was RATED R...

Friend Request was dumped by a nothing studio well over a year and a half after it came out in other countries. The Turning had Universal distributing it. Bad comparison.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nova said:

Gretel and Hansel gonna complete the horror trifecta and get an F cinemascore too. 

This one is also getting dumped but at least it seems to have more promotion / marketing than The Turning.

That being said, Gretel and Hansel definitely doesn't look like a "traditional" and "fun" movie.  It looks like artsy, but the trailer isn't hiding that. The trailer definitely shows this is not a traditional flick. 

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This one is also getting dumped but at least it seems to have more promotion / marketing than The Turning.

That being said, Gretel and Hansel definitely doesn't look like a "traditional" and "fun" movie.  It looks like artsy, but the trailer isn't hiding that. The trailer definitely shows this is not a traditional flick. 

The embargo drops on noon Thursday :ph34r: Granted that doesn’t equate to audience reception but if it’s really bad, I could see it getting an F regardless of how it’s been marketed. 

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Yeh as someone else already said: bad comparison. 

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

That La Lrona guy is a hack, I just can't believe Warner is going to fuck up The Conjuring Universe, after The Nun brought them almost $180m in profits for God's sake.

It still won’t be hard to get a better critical and audience reception than The Nun did lol. 

The Nun still made a fortune so this could too. Unless the Nun has put people off. 

33 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Horror fans are merciless. No way that horror that got F is worse than Dolittle.

They really are, B+ (like IT or quiet place) is like A+ for Horror movies, Family movies are the most forgiving ones, i assume the parents have a "didnt make my kid cry, so its okay" attitude.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Friend Request was dumped by a nothing studio well over a year and a half after it came out in other countries. The Turning had Universal distributing it. Bad comparison.

Evertying you said can be said about The Turning too, Uni didn't even care to promote it, and both opened at almost the same number of screens. 

50 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh as someone else already said: bad comparison. 

It still won’t be hard to get a better critical and audience reception than The Nun did lol. 

The Nun still made a fortune so this could too. Unless the Nun has put people off. 

The Nun was coming after two loved movies, TC3 is coming after THE NUN and an Annabelle movie that didn't make a lot of impact, if it gets bad reviews, it will struggle. 

57 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Horror fans are merciless. No way that horror that got F is worse than Dolittle.

The Turning's problem is less about being horror...Movie simply didn't have an ending. 

People were pissed off. I read the plot and the ending. If you look around, 95% of the complaints are related to the movie's lack of ending / closure.