TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Scott Mendelson thinks this movie could make 300 million domestic thanks to good legs ( like Aquaman and Wonder Woman and Joker )

Very bad trolling from him. I'm disappointed

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2020/02/07/box-office-birds-of-prey-1-billion-dc/#3d30c3a48953

"It seems all but certain that Harley Quinn will at least crack the top ten. And if the film can approach the $300 million mark domestically, then the film could very well near Wonder Woman territory."

That isn't Scott. It's some guy called Travis Bean.

Edit: Funniest quote from that article: "Joker didn't have the kind of budget or marketing campaign that Birds of Prey has had". Um...yeah, because it had a much better marketing campaign?

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

categories

I think the problem is this:

1$ profit = succes

-1$ loss = flop

I think it's fair to say that the word 'succes' means more than just making a profit.

If we only have to 2 scales succes or flop you have movies like Avatar, Frozen, Jumanji and Bohemian rapsody in the same class as movies like Shazam and Ant Man and the wasp or hack even a $400m Badboys movie.

So no I am not going by 'what some people say' I am just using more than 2 cathogories to dethermine how succesfull a movie was. Not just black and white.

Then you have the whole issue of return on investment. Basically you spend a lot of money on a film you expect to make a lot of money. If yu make a small profit on a big investment it's in sort of weird grey area between success and failure. Yeah, you made your money back but you did not get anywhere near the return you expected from a big investment.

The business world is complex...very complex.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Scott Mendelson thinks this movie could make 300 million domestic thanks to good legs ( like Aquaman and Wonder Woman and Joker )

Very bad trolling from him. I'm disappointed

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2020/02/07/box-office-birds-of-prey-1-billion-dc/#3d30c3a48953

"It seems all but certain that Harley Quinn will at least crack the top ten. And if the film can approach the $300 million mark domestically, then the film could very well near Wonder Woman territory."

This is TROS all over again. Can’t wait for the daily updates from Deadline about the sold out showings with Harley Quinn themed parties in the lobby at the AMC in Naples Florida. 

You guys tend to forget that Suicide Squad was HUGE with teens back in the day. Not only this, they were also the only demo who truly loved this movie. I think turning BOP into a Rated R was a really bad idea.

And it's not like the movie needed this, it wasn't a Logan situation where the tone of the narrative was dark enough that the movie needed to be Rated R to work, BOP coul've been easily a PG13, it seems that they did it to be edgy only.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, Menor said:

That isn't Scott. It's some guy called Travis Bean.

Edit: Funniest quote from that article: "Joker didn't have the kind of budget or marketing campaign that Birds of Prey has had". Um...yeah, because it had a much better marketing campaign?

You're right. my bad, lol.

I edited my post. Instead of Scott, it's now Scott's friend. :)

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

45 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Why do people assume that Barbara is a draw ? Outside of the core fan base, a lot of the GA don’t tell the difference between catwoman and batgirl. And Selina is way bigger bc of Nolan 

In bold is your answer.

The Bat draws. Always has. Always will. Yes, I’m biased, but I’m not wrong, am I?

Batgirl is instantly recognisable, and comes with all the iconography, while also being a strong female hero. 

A BOP movie with Babs front and centre, with a more comic accurate Huntress and Canary would have done better at the box office - not least because it wouldn’t have anything to do with the disaster of Suicide Squad.

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

it's just pretty depressing to see a movie I love being rejected by so many people.

Alita & BvS fans have been through worse. BoP will be fine if it doesn't do well at the box office. Harley is already part of a successful franchise.

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I will probably look at the BOT top 25 of 2019 sometime later this week but that's it. 

you wouldn't wanna miss Parasite's best picture win this Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

A BOP movie with Babs front and centre, with a more comic accurate Huntress and Canary would have done better at the box office - not least because it wouldn’t have anything to do with the disaster of Suicide Squad.

comic accuracy isn't why these movies make money, otherwise the MCU wouldn't be the biggest franchise in the world. 

45 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Also, if people don’t think The Dark Knight sticks close to the comics in terms of characterisation (which is the only thing that really matters) they’ve never read a Batman comic.

I’d argue every single good comic book movie absolutely respects and sticks to the characterisations from the comics, and every bad one doesn’t. Costume accuracy and backstory don’t really matter. 

Costumes do matter.

You can't put the Avengers in bunny suits.

Marvel Studio's policy is basically if it isn't broke, don't fix it. They change costumes based on need not a whimsical desire to put their own stamp on things.

DC has many versions of the Joker costume because they need alternatives the original costume has been done to death in tv and movies already.

So no, Iron Man 1 shouldn't have Tony Stark in a orange costume with nipples. If Disney learned anything with Star Wars, it's not to piss of the fans unless you know what the hell you're doing. It was clear that many changes were change for the sake of change which is just about always a missed opportunity. 

BoP's marketing campaign was horrible. Absolutely horrendous.

Too loud (visually). Too late. Too incoherent. Too safe.

I think it can be best summed up in the second trailer, when (where a film would normally highlight the actors involved) they call out the character names on screen.

I don't think putting the words "Cassandra Cain" on screen in big, bold yellow letters for half a second convinced a single person to see this film.

I just don't know what WB marketing was thinking on this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

comic accuracy isn't why these movies make money, otherwise the MCU wouldn't be the biggest franchise in the world. 

Wut?

Infinity War Saga feels like an updated version of the comics.

It's definitely a love letter to the comics like most of the MCU.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

hmm, that seems awful

The coronavirus effect on box office is going to become worse before it becomes better. (Not that BOP was going to make much more without the virus, it was always a poorly aimed film.) I'm even afraid that at some point some countries will start shutting down theaters. (Hope not.) And that could have a lasting negative effect on the movie-going public well into the summer, affecting Black Widow, F9, and WW84.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Costumes do matter.

You can't put the Avengers in bunny suits.

Marvel Studio's policy is basically if it isn't broke, don't fix it. They change costumes based on need not a whimsical desire to put their own stamp on things.

DC has many versions of the Joker costume because they need alternatives the original costume has been done to death in tv and movies already.

So no, Iron Man 1 shouldn't have Tony Stark in a orange costume with nipples. If Disney learned anything with Star Wars, it's not to piss of the fans unless you know what the hell you're doing. It was clear that many changes were change for the sake of change which is just about always a missed opportunity. 

My point is that characterisation is the important thing to a comic book’s film success.