TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is not true. What I hear from south east asian markets like Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore etc have definite impacts. Box office would be subdued until it becomes a non issue. Not sure when that would happen.

not a zero impact, but for now, its not like if a movie would make 100 million , it will make 60 , more like 90 , i am talking about %

5 hours ago, UserHN said:

I didn't realize Onward will open on March 6. I think Disney should postpone all their movies until the nCoV scare lays low. There is a serious panic in Asia right now. It won't help the BO at all.

they can delay China release but chances are it's no Zootopia or Coco

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is not true. What I hear from south east asian markets like Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore etc have definite impacts. Box office would be subdued until it becomes a non issue. Not sure when that would happen.

You are right: I should have said it had some impact outside of China in the Asian market.

But the OP was clearly trying to ascribe BOP  underperforming worldwide to the virus,which is just not the case.

• Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

SO far, outside of China, coronavirus has had zero impact on movie box office. 

Glad to hear, I was worried that places like Singapore, Japan, Korea , etc might see some decline in box office for February and March while the virus is growing in the news, but I haven't seen any overall box office data to back up my worries.

@OncomingStorm93 I understand you are upset over your threadban, but from what I've seen from your posts, and other people on the staff will likely agree with me on this, your consistent negativity in the BOP thread wasn't constructive and either derailed the thread or made people annoyed. Saying you have reservations on the film's potential or saying it looks bad once or twice? That's great. Even doing a brief discussion or argument with another guy? Totally cool, so long as it doesn't go too far. But you did go too far, with constant negativity, which just doesn't lead to anything constructive. As much as we encourage discussion, we have limits when it becomes too toxic, and I, and the staff, feel you crossed that line.

I understand you may not like that answer, but that's all I gotta say on the matter.

• Like 3

Eek, had hoped that 40m would still happen just yesterday *sigh* 

That being said, as others noted the holdovers will majorly benefit both this weekend and next because of this. 

The weird bits of box office that we (and studios) cannot know, such as when a film bottoms out and the schedule is open at the same point. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But the OP was clearly trying to ascribe BOP  underperforming worldwide to the virus,which is just not the case.

By "OP" do you mean me or deadline? Because I don't think deadline said exactly that in the article I was responding to, and I sure didn't say that in my response.

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Morning PS numbers for Birds of Prey OD.

MTC1 - overall 4173 shows 61980/843826 979589.69

MTC2 - overall 3967 shows 33094/650664 382820.18 

Numbers look grim to me. its doing well in NYC/LA but otherwise there is no interest. I wonder how bad this could get. Worst case high 20's OW. Most probably in low 30's and best case mid to high 30's. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. I will track till day 2 and then stop. Hopefully Sonic breaks out next weekend(40m+ over 4 days). 

Update

MTC1 - overall 4150 shows 87380/833923 1330621.05 post 6PM 2204 shows 55894/438376 900163.28

MTC2 - overall 3974 shows 58791/651393 635332.52 post 6PM 1725 shows 30542/278299 385902.88 

I would say MTC1 would finish around 140-150K while MTC2 is looking at 85-90K. 

Comparisons. 

Bad Boys OD Finish

MTC1 End - overall 2947 shows 258762/575718 3556367.70 post 6PM 1718 shows 198194/334720 2818159.49 
MTC2 End - overall 2732 shows 189437/428177 2016271.00  post 6PM 1260 shows 125336/192744 1487326.00 

So Deadline should be on the mark with early projections. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

How often does a movie miss the studio projections by 12+ million?

Studio projections are typically ultra conservative. 

Disney had a run of unders with Solo and Toys 4...maybe that was the last big miss?  I gotta think on that...

https://www.thewrap.com/toy-story-4-could-give-disney-yet-another-record-box-office-opening/

Disney said $140m+ on Toys 4...and got $120M...although percent wise, this is still worse...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Lego Movie 2, which also came out in Feb. was expected to pull 45-60m but ended up with 34

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lego-movie-2-box-office-tracking-45m-60m-opening-1176837

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Projections are probabilities; occasinly the thing that has a low percentage chance of happening happens. think making a saving role that has only a 5% chance of happening in Dungeons and Dragons.

11 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Mod edit

I was disturbed by one of the mods getting  angry yesterday in one of the political discussion threads.(I was not involved in this exchange)

That underminds his creditbility;if he has to ban somebody who he does not politically, even if it justified it is going to be questioned. Not a position a mod should put himself in.

16 minutes ago, Eric Sionis said:

@OncomingStorm93 I understand you are upset over your threadban, but from what I've seen from your posts, and other people on the staff will likely agree with me on this, your consistent negativity in the BOP thread wasn't constructive and either derailed the thread or made people annoyed. Saying you have reservations on the film's potential or saying it looks bad once or twice? That's great. Even doing a brief discussion or argument with another guy? Totally cool, so long as it doesn't go too far. But you did go too far, with constant negativity, which just doesn't lead to anything constructive. As much as we encourage discussion, we have limits when it becomes too toxic, and I, and the staff, feel you crossed that line.

I understand you may not like that answer, but that's all I gotta say on the matter.

I really wish I heard that three weeks ago from grim (who decided I was trolling) like I requested... I still don’t appreciate being blatantly ignored by an admin when requesting a threadban explanation. I didn’t even attempt to refute the accusation, I clearly asked you and grim how to avoid the perception of trolling moving forward. No response.

Because apparently pointing out the lack of advanced screenings compared to other recent DC films was crossing the line.... Even though it was 100% factually accurate. Riddle me that.

• Like 1