grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2019 | The forums can eat shit

44 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Uncut Gems finishing very low is very surprising. Although, I guess it might have something to do with it releasing internationally on the day of the deadline, so not everyone may have gotten a chance to see it. 

it's not low. I would say that any movie that makes it to this list - given how many movies there are each year - means it's been highly rated by the forum. And yes you're right that basically no one outside America was able to put it on their list.

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

The statistics for this year's countdown

- 85 Lists were received.

179 Movies were nominated by the users (including @Blankments adding in 5 short films which i was too lazy to remove)

- We were all RT whores, since only TWO movies below 80% made the list

How many points were required to make the top 25?

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Long Shot making the list brings joy to my heart. Definitely one of the great rom-coms of the decade IMO

I'm glad it made the list as well but until the last quarter of the year I had that as my number one film. I wish it was higher but like you said it's just good to see that I made the list.

The problem with uncut gems is that I don't think a lot of us had a chance to see it. I know I really wanted to but it wasn't playing anywhere near me and it didn't get to Netflix on time.

I wish more of you would have had the chance to see the James Cameron, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jackie Chan produced documentary called game changers. It's the film I had at number one this year but I'm pretty sure it's not even going to make the list.

30 minutes ago, baumer said:

The problem with uncut gems is that I don't think a lot of us had a chance to see it. I know I really wanted to but it wasn't playing anywhere near me and it didn't get to Netflix on time.

it's a netflix movie in Canada too? The North America theatrical release was U.S. Only?

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

I wish more of you would have had the chance to see the James Cameron, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jackie Chan produced documentary called game changers. It's the film I had at number one this year but I'm pretty sure it's not even going to make the list.

it's definitely not going to make the list because it was released in january 2018. 😂😂

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

Was I the only one that voted for Harriet?

I'm not seeing it until tonight or tomorrow so I couldn't vote it

55 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm glad it made the list as well but until the last quarter of the year I had that as my number one film. I wish it was higher but like you said it's just good to see that I made the list.

It was my #3 for a while when I first saw it. Got bumped down a few places for sure, but I'm pretty sure I kept it above Just Mercy and Little Women as my #10

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

it's definitely not going to make the list because it was released in january 2018. 😂😂

No. It wasn't. It came out theatrically in July. I should know. I saw it opening night. 

5 hours ago, baumer said:

I didn't bother to make a list for this, but if I did, Uncut Gems would have been in my top 5 for the year.

So you can blame me.

Spoiler

ROCKETMAN

rocketman-poster.jpg

The Bohemian Rhapsody of 2019 had Taron Egerton playing Elton John. A movie much better received but seeing much less awards traction this time. Personally, I enjoyed it but didn’t love it.

USER REVIEWS:

Really enjoyed this one, it’s night and day better than Bohemian Rhapsody.  I actually didn’t know it was going to be a musical fantasy going in, so that was a fun surprise.

The style really works, there’s a few quirky moments where the fantastical elements go for something more serious and don’t quite hit it with the right gravitas, but they overall really work.  The Rocketman sequence actually had me tear up a little bit.

Edgerton is fantastic as Elton, he’s the singer biopic actor that should have gotten the Oscar nomination (or win). 

The choreography is fun, the music is integrated well, it’s about as effective as a straightforward musical Biopic could hope to be. 

A-

@The Panda

• Like 12

Spoiler

Jojo Rabbit

MV5BZjU0Yzk2MzEtMjAzYy00MzY0LTg2YmItM2Rk

From @Blankments

There's still something utterly magical about Jojo Rabbit; the question of whether one can be good in an utterly horrible time. It's a fable for modern days but one that works remarkably well for its own setting. Rockwell remains the highlight but Davis and McKenzie hold the entire thing together, along with Waititi's deliberate direction. I've seen it four times and from sobbing at the TIFF premiere to still large chuckles and tears welling up last weekend, it's an astonishing experience. It's a film of paradoxes; how love can spring from hate and why we choose to keep on living. A tender, complicated tale told to utter perfection.

USER REVIEWS

Wow this film took me by surprise, one moment i'm in tears of laughter then the next scene just literally in tears. Steve Merchant always has the ability to make me laugh and Sam Rockwell was such a sweet character by the end it left me with quite the smile on my face

Heil Hitler

A-

@Ninenin

• Like 13
  • ...wtf 1