filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

yeah, kinda why i think they won't give it to a netflix movie i think they're gonna wanna show solidarity with the "theatrical experience" considering how much the cinemas are struggling this year. so a blockbuster might win for once. as long as the cinemas actually open again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah, kinda why i think they won't give it to a netflix movie i think they're gonna wanna show solidarity with the "theatrical experience" considering how much the cinemas are struggling this year. so a blockbuster might win for once. as long as the cinemas actually open again.

This does seem like the worst possible year to give it to a Netflix movie for sure. I am not convinced the Oscars aren't delayed to like July of next year and the eligibility period extended to like May.

Soul also has the advantage of being marketed as Pixar's first effort with a black protagonist (even if it seems like he's gonna spend a good portion of the movie as a little green ghost lol) being released in a year when the spotlight on race relations in this country couldn't be more ugly. If it gets Up-level raves I think it's in for at least a nomination, especially in what's looking like a relatively open field (assuming the Oscars still happen this year, of course).

Hillbilly Elegy is a dumb ass book for people that want stupid ass takes on politics, and its a cheesy adaptation of it directed by Ron Howard. SO it will probably win.

Trial of the Chicago 7 has the cast and the subject matter but no reason to believe Sorkin has it in him. I think Da 5 Bloods might actually do it. Just way too early. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hillbilly Elegy is a dumb ass book for people that want stupid ass takes on politics, and its a cheesy adaptation of it directed by Ron Howard. SO it will probably win.

I dunno. This may be the group that gave it to Green Book two years ago, but I think the Academy as a collective has to know that a Best Picture win for Hillbilly Elegy in this political climate would be a disaster (assuming that the politics of the film match the politics of the book).

• Like 2

Late March, or April? When it comes to changing the February 28 date for the 2021 Oscars, the question is no longer if, but when. That will be determined at the Academy Board of Governors’ Zoom meeting on Thursday, June 11 (pushed back from today, June 9).

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

Only if it means Carey Mulligan gets the Best Actress nomination she deserves for Promising Young Woman.

Funnily enough, I was watching The High Note the other week and you can see a giant billboard for Promising Young Woman during a driving scene. It's the only Focus movie that would've been out by now in a normal world that hasn't been sent to VOD so maybe they are saving it for later in the year to give her a campaign.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Funnily enough, I was watching The High Note the other week and you can see a giant billboard for Promising Young Woman during a driving scene. It's the only Focus movie that would've been out by now in a normal world that hasn't been sent to VOD so maybe they are saving it for later in the year to give her a campaign.

It got pretty great reviews from Sundance, so you might be right.

I think Da 5 Blood's best chances of winning would be in supporting actor for Lindo (would prolly be category fraud since I heard he's co-lead but the Oscars like rewarding those type of performances in supporting). and score. could also win SAG ensemble.

as for the rest of above the line it will probably get picture/director/screenplay noms, but it's too early to call it winning either of those.

21 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Now that Da 5 Bloods reviews are out and its acclaim is on the same level as BlacKkKlansman, it should be good for a nomination. 

Da 5 Bloods takes home Best Picture from the Oscars and The Last Days of American Crime takes home Worst Picture from the Razzies?

• Haha 1