filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

lmao Paramount slacking. 

do people still think Netflix won't win best picture this year, they'll have like 4 (maybe 5)  bp nominations at this point and if they don't win this year idk when they will

btw I had this Sorkin movie as my 2nd BP winner prediction incase Mank flops. so Netflix has my 2 top predictions

Edited by RealLyre
  • Astonished 1

so it says that the domestic rights will go to Netflix, which is a bit weird because it's usually the reverse. could it be because they are anticipating movie theaters in NA to stay dead in the fall awards season, while everywhere else is going to open and stay open as they handled the pandemic better?

edit : nvm seems like Paramount never had international rights to this. so disregard. 

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

lmao Paramount slacking. 

do people still think Netflix won't win best picture this year, they'll have like 4 (maybe 5)  bp nominations at this point and if they don't win this year idk when they will

btw I had this Sorkin movie as my 2nd BP winner prediction incase Mank flops. so Netflix has my 2 top predictions

I don't think there will be a ceremony, which is why Netflix won't win.

• ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, RealLyre said:

lmao Paramount slacking. 

A movie like this is gonna draw a mostly older crowd and that audience will stay away from most public places (like movie theaters) for the rest of the year so this might be a move. Or the movie is a nonstarter and they figured streaming was better for it. We'll see.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A movie like this is gonna draw a mostly older crowd and that audience will stay away from most public places (like movie theaters) for the rest of the year so this might be a move. Or the movie is a nonstarter and they figured streaming was better for it. We'll see.

hmmm maybe, or Paramount don't want to spend more $$$ on this for awards campaign. they couldn't get Rocketman anywhere last year besides Song. 

the last time they got a bp nomination was in 2017.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:03 PM, CoolioD1 said:

i guess every other awards show will follow their lead very soon. let's not do this for the BOFFYs. we'll nominate sonic the hedgehog for best picture even if these cowards don't want to.

I mean, I'd have to ask Spaghetti, but my gut is BOFFYs will stay 2020 releases only.  Maybe we'll reduce the number of nominees for the year (but this is a maybe and be polled for opinions first), kind of to early to be thinking about the logistics though.

• Like 1

ammonite & true mothers are confirmed for TIFF.   also read that Venice is staying in September.  both festivals are expected to have much smaller than usual lineup.

Oscar season will likely start in December instead of September as usual now so I think these fall festivals should've moved. as there will be 6-7 months between TIFF and the Oscar ceremony now.

• Like 1

Hollywood Critics Association Midseason Award Nominations

🙁
Spoiler

Best Picture:

Bad Education 

Birds of Prey:  And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn 

Blow the Man Down 

Da 5 Bloods 

Emma 

Never Rarely Sometimes Always 

Onward 

Shirley 

The Invisible Man 

The Vast of Night 

Best Actress:

Anya Taylor-Joy, Emma 

Elisabeth Moss, The Invisible Man 

Elisabeth Moss, Shirley 

Margot Robbie, Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn  

Sidney Flanigan, Never Rarely Sometimes Always 

Best Supporting Actress:

Allison Janney, Bad Education 

Marisa Tomei, The King of Staten Island 

Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn 

Odessa Young, Shirley 

Tracee Ellis Ross, The High Note 

Best Actor:

Ben AffleckThe Way Back 

Delroy Lindo, Da 5 Bloods 

Hugh Jackman, Bad Education 

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, 7500 

Pete Davidson, The King of Staten Island 

Best Supporting Actor:

Bill Burr, The King of Staten Island 

Clarke Peters, Da 5 Bloods 

Ewan McGregor, Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn  

Jonathan Majors, Da 5 Bloods 

Michael Stuhlbarg, Shirley 

Best Female Director:

Autumn de Wilde, Emma 

Cathy Yan, Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn 

Eliza Hittman, Never Rarely Sometimes Always

Josephine Decker, Shirley 

Kelly Reichardt, First Cow 

Best Male Director:

Andrew Patterson, The Vast of Night 

Cory Finley, Bad Education 

Judd Apatow, The King of Staten Island

Leigh Whannell, The Invisible Man 

Spike Lee, Da 5 Bloods

Best Adapted Screenplay:

Bad Education

Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn 

Emma

The Invisible Man

Shirley 

Best Original Screenplay:

Da 5 Bloods

Never Rarely Sometimes Always

The King of Staten Island

The Half of It 

The Vast of Night

Best Indie Film:

Blow the Man Down 

First Cow

Shirley 

The Assistant 

The Vast of Night 

Best Documentary:

Beastie Boys Story

Crip Camp

Dads

Miss Americana

Spaceship Earth

Best New Streaming Series (Drama):

Defending Jacob (Apple TV+) 

Hollywood (Netflix)

Hunters (Amazon) 

Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu) 

Mrs. America (Hulu) 

Best New Streaming Series (Comedy):

High Fidelity (Hulu) 

Love Life (HBO Max) 

Never Have I Ever (Netflix) 

The Great (Hulu) 

Upload (Amazon)

Best Broadcast Network Series (New or Reoccurring):

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (NBC)

Evil (CBS)

The Good Place (NBC) 

This is Us (NBC)

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC) 

Best Cable Network Series (New or Reoccurring): 

Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)

The Outsider (HBO)

Schitt’s Creek (POP) 

Westworld (HBO) 

What We Do in the Shadows (FX)

How wild would it be if Disney finally gets their Best Picture Oscar because of Hamilton, a decidedly political work that had to be (slightly) censored just to avoid an R rating? If the first streaming service to win Best Picture isn't Netflix?

A Best Actor nomination from a filmed play has happened before, so there's precedent. Hamilton was scheduled to be released in movie theaters but not until 2021. So far, AMPAS has only granted an exception to movies that were scheduled for theaters this year but got their releases canceled. It might end up not even being eligible for Oscars, but if it is...

In a year with a full slate, I doubt Hamilton would have a chance...but it's not a normal year. And celebrities already absolutely loved Hamilton, even before...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

If it qualifies, it wouldn't surprise me if Hamilton ends up a major player in this diluted year. Maybe the actual movie adaptation won't be so inevitable anymore since it would have a lot to live up to, though the box office potential would be too tempting since this isn't gonna have the chance to play in theaters aside from a Fathom Events thing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If it qualifies, it wouldn't surprise me if Hamilton ends up a major player in this diluted year. Maybe the actual movie adaptation won't be so inevitable anymore since it would have a lot to live up to, though the box office potential would be too tempting since this isn't gonna have the chance to play in theaters aside from a Fathom Events thing.

Since seeing the musical live, I have had doubts about it working as a movie in real world settings. It thrives in the stage environment but it's always a question with musical adaptation, if non-fans can roll with the unreality in same way. 

Who knows how hard Disney would campaign Hamilton this season? But it may not need much of that, and as unorthodox as a filmed stage show would be as an contender here, I can picture Oscar voters still being more comfortable with that winning vs. an animated movie. We'll know it's a threat when the hitpieces about its accuracy start getting recycled on the awards sites.

• Like 1

If Tenet releases this year, I think it has the best shot. I don't know about Soul. An animated film still feels really far fetched, but anything is possible this year. I mean, hey, Kanye said he's running for President. For all we know, we have fallen into some weird alternate universe.

4 hours ago, CloneWars said:

If Tenet releases this year, I think it has the best shot. 

I'm not backing this horse unless it definitely comes out this year, or if the Dune trailers blow me away.

I don't know about Soul. An animated film still feels really far fetched, but anything is possible this year. 

With everything that's happened this year, I'm inclined to agree.

I mean, hey, Kanye said he's running for President. 

May God help us all.