sfran43

Weekend Thread: Call of the Wild 8M Friday

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

market is prime for Invisible Man breakout. The power of Xenu will compel you to the cinemas. 

Invisible Man could hit 30 if walkups are big, but the Buzz Thread tracking doesn't indicate much more than 20 right now. Would still be great for its budget and for the sorry state of horror ever since the Black Christmas remake, tho.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Invisible Man could hit 30 if walkups are big, but the Buzz Thread tracking doesn't indicate much more than 20 right now. Would still be great for its budget and for the sorry state of horror ever since the Black Christmas remake, tho.

Since October, even (Countdown failed to take advantage of being the only direct horror offering of Halloween while Doctor Sleep fizzled in November).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'm thinking Fantasy Island numbers right now unless reviews are really good (like 80%+). I just don't see more hype for it. Youtube trailer views is pretty much the same and both movies are trending pretty similarly on google trends too.

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm thinking Fantasy Island numbers right now unless reviews are really good (like 80%+). I just don't see more hype for it. Youtube trailer views is pretty much the same and both movies are trending pretty similarly on google trends too.

You better not disappear next weekend.

It's more likely to do the total of FI on the OW than to have an OW closer to it. 

I would comment on numbers, but there’s really nothing I could say that hasn’t already been said. Nice to see CotW surprise, hope it can reach 100M but I won’t bet on it yet until we see how it holds against Onward. Sonic will still beat DP domestically, which will be a nice win for Carrey.

I watched the Best of Enemies last night and I’ve got some (hot and not hot) takes. It’s a well made film imo with some truly awesome performances (if the movie had been an awards contender releasing in December I would have thought Rockwell and Henson could have both snuck nominations in the 5th spot given how weak the year was). It’s a really interesting true story, and there are some powerful moments. My biggest problem though is that Henson is pretty much sidelined tona supporting role. I have no problem with the movie telling a redemption arc for Rockwell if that indeed reflects history, but the film would have immensely benefitted from having both leads’ stories play out with equal focus on each. If you go by the definition they teach in high school, Henson was definitely a “flat character” while Rockwell is the only one given a substantial arc. If both characters had been given arcs, and they had played out equally as parallel to one another, the narrative would have benefitted immensely, and I wouldn’t have such a problem with where the movie ended up landing it’s narrative focus.

That being said,, I’m not exactly sure if I can quantify how much this issue affected my enjoyment of the movie, and what I would therefore rate the movie out of 10. As it is, the movie is still a perfectly good watch, but it’s frustrating to see something play out as “good” when the potential to make it “great” is so obviously right in front of you. I’d still give it a 7.5/10 or so, with the asterix that it SHOULD have been a 9 or 9.5, but alas failed to broaden the scope of its dramatic focus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just at a cursory glance at ticket sales, while I have doubts over 30M+ for Invisible Man (though I guess it's not totally impossible), I doubt it'll open to Fantasy Island numbers. ~20M feels about right so far, though of course that depends on what happens later this week.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Just at a cursory glance at ticket sales, while I have doubts over 30M+ for Invisible Man (though I guess it's not totally impossible), I doubt it'll open to Fantasy Island numbers. ~20M feels about right so far, though of course that depends on what happens later this week.

I'd be really happy to be wrong here. I'm pretty excited for this film and don't want it to underperform. I'm probably also a bit pessmistic because of BoP (another film I was pretty excited for) bombing and the horror boxoffice duds we've gotten since It Chapter 2 (which itself was a small underperformance).

Edited by lorddemaxus

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'd be really happy to be wrong here. I'm pretty excited for this film and don't want it to underperform. I'm probably also a bit pessmistic because of BoP (another film I was pretty excited for) bombing and the horror boxoffice duds we've gotten since It Chapter 2 (which itself was a small underperformance).

There's no such a thing as 'Horror fatigue', those movies bombed because they were A) Awful. B) Not even the studios cared to promote them.

Every Horror movie released after I2, and their RT score:

Countdown: 26%

Black Christmas: 39%

The Grudge: 20%

The Turning: 12%

The Boy 2: 9%

Fantasy Island: 10%

Why the hell would people show up for these kind of movies? Horror has witnessed a comeback in the past years thanks to great reviews, plus, mainstream appeal.

Invisible Man is the only Horror movie released since... US (?) that will actually unite quality + appeal. 

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

There's no such a thing as 'Horror fatigue', those movies bombed because they were A) Awful. B) Not even the studios cared to promote them.

Every Horror movie released after I2, and their RT score:

Countdown: 26%

Black Christmas: 39%

The Grudge: 20%

The Turning: 12%

The Boy 2: 9%

Fantasy Island: 10%

Why the hell would people show up for these kind of movies? Horror has witnessed a comeback in the past years thanks to great reviews, plus, mainstream appeal.

Invisible Man is the only Horror movie released since... US (?) that will actually unite quality + appeal. 

Gretel and Hansel got an OK score too. The Invisible Man sits at 74 on critics choice which is the same score It Chapter 2 has, which has the same RT score as Gretel and Hansel. I think The Invisible Man will be pretty good to great but I just haven't seen the studio do much to promote it outside of that Super Bowl Spot.

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Gretel and Hansel got an OK score too. The Invisible Man sits at 74 on critics choice which is the same score It Chapter 2 has, which has the same RT score as Gretel and Hansel. I think The Invisible Man will be pretty good to great but I just haven't seen the studio do much to promote it outside of that Super Bowl Spot.

GaH is a artistic movie on the same vein as the movies produced by A24 released by a really small studio that didn't even promote it outside of internet.

TIM is having premiere across several countries, Uni converted it to IMAX, which means confidence that it can actually cross-over with GA, and every reaction so far has praised the movie (except for that White troll). It even received a spot at SUPER BOWL for God's sake. Uni is promoting it, a lot. 

26 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Early trends for Sonic is showing it up over 100% from yesterday at MTC1 and even more at MTC2. Its going to have a big saturday for sure. I believe it will win the weekend. 

Thanks! How does Call of the Wild compare so far?