Eric Duncan

The Whitney Houston Movie: I Wanna Dance With Somebody | Tristar | December 23, 2022 | Kasi Lemmons directs

9 minutes ago, The Eric King said:

Curious to know what you mean? I believe you and expect this to be terrible (will still make a fortune though), but what exactly were their "lies" before?

I assume he's referring to the sexual abuse allegations that were dropped in that documentary a few years back that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, especially when not only did it all come from third parties (and not from Houston herself while she was alive) but also because they went as far as naming the alleged abuser (who died years before Whitney did so that's one thread that will always be left without a resolution). I highly doubt anyone ever expected this biopic to tackle that given the salacious and gossipy nature of those claims.

Edited by filmlover

16 minutes ago, The Eric King said:

Curious to know what you mean? I believe you and expect this to be terrible (will still make a fortune though), but what exactly were their "lies" before?

The family is super Christian and go above and beyond to protect Whitney Houtons image. They denied the bisexual stuff, they lied on Bobby Brown and blamed him for introducing her to drugs (turns out Whitney and her brothers were on crack since they were teens), they denied that Dionne Warricks sister molested Whitney as a child.

Unless there was some heavy soul searching I just can't beleive this particular estate would ever produce an interesting biopic.

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

The family is super Christian and go above and beyond to protect Whitney Houtons image. They denied the bisexual stuff, they lied on Bobby Brown and blamed him for introducing her to drugs (turns out Whitney and her brothers were on crack since they were teens), they denied that Dionne Warricks sister molested Whitney as a child.

Unless there was some heavy soul searching I just can't beleive this particular estate would ever produce an interesting biopic.

Man...I'm gonna hate lying through my teeth when I take my mom to this and pretend that I loved this movie. She is an absolute sucker for these stupid music biopics

Boy, that looked fucking god awful. Will make bank for sure but.....wow. My expectations were low and that fell well below them still. 

One of the most discouraging moments in modern movie history, and I think Coolio was the one who said something similar, was the amount of people I know who left Bohemian Rhapsody and said "that's going to win all the Oscars!" These are what "Oscar movies" are to people who only watch two movies a year. Pisses me off (Baz did amazing with Elvis though, guy is a mega hero)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AJG said:

Bobby was a terrible husband to Whitney. No one in her family ever accused him of introducing her to drugs. The public assumed it. He was so insecure and jealous of her fame. I remember reading that she had to change the name of her production company to Brownhouse because of his insecurity. He abused her both physically and emotionally. Stop defending him. With that said, I hope there is more concentration on her music and voice rather than the salacious stuff. She truly had the best voice I’ve ever heard. I can’t wait to see this movie. 

Whitney had a one time sexual encounter with Robyn Crawford- according to her book. That encounter happened before she was famous. To our knowledge there were never any other women. So I think out of respect for Whitney, people shouldn’t categorize her sexuality for better or for worse. Best to just tell the story and let people take what they will from it. I do believe Whitney was abused by her cousin. 

I think most girls growing up on the late 80s and 90s were fans of hers and I am no exception. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Boy, that looked fucking god awful. Will make bank for sure but.....wow. My expectations were low and that fell well below them still. 

One of the most discouraging moments in modern movie history, and I think Coolio was the one who said something similar, was the amount of people I know who left Bohemian Rhapsody and said "that's going to win all the Oscars!" These are what "Oscar movies" are to people who only watch two movies a year. Pisses me off (Baz did amazing with Elvis though, guy is a mega hero)

Tired: "Man the Marvel formula sure is dumb and annoying"

Wired: "Man the musician biopic formula is the absolute worst and needs to die"

Looks really formulaic. And of course, they had to do the most obvious thing and name the movie after Whitney's signature song. How original.

Elvis and Rocketman were interesting music biopics. Bohemian Rhapsody was awful. This looks even worse 

The commonality among the music biopics I actually like (Rocketman, Elvis, Walk The Line) compared to this and BoRaps is that the lead actor playing the famous person actually sings a big portion of the songs themselves. That actually interests me to watch - see how this famous person actually sings! I have no interest in watching someone do lip syncing unless it's in a hybrid/blended way like Butler and Foxx.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, wboxoffice said:

I am just disappointed in the casting.  In a couple of scenes the actress looks nice but otherwise some of the scenes are actually distracting. Whitney was just way more beautiful than this.  I'm glad however that this 1st trailer focuses on the music.

It is distracting how she doesn’t even vaguely look like her at all. Whitney had model/Barbie doll looks. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

This feels like a really expensive Cosplay. Like someone spent some money on those LEWKS. But the trailer is nothing more than a fashion montage. Not feeling it at all. 

That said; my God is I Wanna Dance With Somebody Absolutely my favorite song of all time. Maybe second only to Purple Rain. That music hits, and I’m just like fuck yes, yaas Queen, you go Whitney. I love you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

This feels like a really expensive Cosplay. Like someone spent some money on those LEWKS. But the trailer is nothing more than a fashion montage. Not feeling it at all. 

That said; my God is I Wanna Dance With Somebody Absolutely my favorite song of all time. Maybe second only to Purple Rain. That music hits, and I’m just like fuck yes, yaas Queen, you go Whitney. I love you.

Favourite non-single is Love Is A Contact Sport, a bop!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I have no interest in watching someone do lip syncing unless it's in a hybrid/blended way like Butler and Foxx.

I’m the total opposite. 

I would hate to hear someone try and sing Whitney and was actively hoping it would be Whitney’s voice. 

I want an upbeat jukebox musical biopic and that looks like what we’re getting. I went to see the documentary in cinemas, and it was depressing. This looks like how I would imagine Whitney would want to be remembered. The voice, performances and the songs. 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 12:05 PM, Cmasterclay said:

The commonality among the music biopics I actually like (Rocketman, Elvis, Walk The Line) compared to this and BoRaps is that the lead actor playing the famous person actually sings a big portion of the songs themselves. That actually interests me to watch - see how this famous person actually sings! I have no interest in watching someone do lip syncing unless it's in a hybrid/blended way like Butler and Foxx.

If they hadn’t used Whitney’s real singing voice I would have literally boycotted the movie. lol

2 hours ago, wboxoffice said:

If they hadn’t used Whitney’s real singing voice I would have literally boycotted the movie. lol

Let's be real, Whitney's singing voice is going to be the best thing about this movie by far. For a biopic about someone known for their amazing singing voice, fans don't want to hear some actor just trying their best. Either the actor has to be a close enough mimic to pass as the real thing (at least in spots) or they better practice their lip syncing.

If a singer is better known for their songwriting or personality than technical vocals, then the general public is more likely to accept the actor doing their own singing. A Johnny Cash biopic? They'll let the actor do all the singing. A Freddie Mercury movie? Not so much. Judy kind of skirted around that by sticking to a timeframe where the reaI artist's voice had faded from her glory days. And even then, the hardcore fans might grumble, so you really can't please everyone.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, excel1 said:

...Did the trailer hint at the rumored lesbian relationship or am I misreading? Was that ever confirmed? If not, could generate some upset folks.

I'm sure they will show more of the drama like the lesbian relationship, her marriage to Bobby, the drug use, her father stealing her money, etc. in a future trailer.  All these have been confirmed to be part of the movie.  However I'm glad that the first trailer focuses mostly on her music and is reminding everyone what a great talented superstar she was.

Edited by wboxoffice
  • Like 2

What are your box office predictions for this movie?  I wonder what kind of promotion and how many more trailers we will get... I hope there will be big awareness like there was for Bohemian Rhapsody, Elvis and Rocketman,  On the other hand the movie Respect didn't do as well.

I would love to see it at 100+ million domestic and 200+ worldwide but it's just too early to see how big Sony/TriStar will go out on the promotion.  I remember that for Elvis and Bohemian Rhapsody the trailers and tv spots were everywhere,  clearly there was a huge budget for their marketing.

Edited by wboxoffice