Eric S'ennui

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

14 hours ago, excel1 said:

No, it was Brett Ratner/McG adoption of JJ Abrams Superman script - think Superman origin meets Independence Day style Alien invasion. It was, basically, a huge-scale popcorn film in vein of Raimi's first Spider-man movie. It probably would have scored a 60% on RT but been a top 10 all-time biggest hit had it been made for 2004. Anthony Hopkins was cast as Jor-el, Robert Downey Jr as Lex Luthor, and Shia LaBuff as Jimmy Olsen. Lois Lane was not cast.

I guess someone at WB really liked Shia playing sidekick as he ended up as Chas in the Constantine film.

Also RDJ bringing his RDJ-ness (what people now think of as Tony Stark's personality) to Lex Luthor is a mindblowing concept. So in an alternate universe he played a more realistic take on a capitalist billionaire. 

Surprised GIF - Surprised Black Guy - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I guess someone at WB really liked Shia playing sidekick as he ended up as Chas in the Constantine film.

Also RDJ bringing his RDJ-ness (what people now think of as Tony Stark's personality) to Lex Luthor is a mindblowing concept. So in an alternate universe he played a more realistic take on a capitalist billionaire. 

Surprised GIF - Surprised Black Guy - Discover & Share GIFs

https://www.slashfilm.com/519863/robert-downey-jr-played-lex-luthor-mcgs-superman-movie/

If you ever read the script, it is pretty clear Downey would have stolen the entire film Jack-Sparrow style. Between Hopkins as Jor-el and Downey as Luthor, whoever played Superman would have been totally overshadowed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

The footage looks dope, excited to see this is less than 2 weeks.

I do love the nonsensical sport/movie tie-ins that Warner, Disney, Universal and Paramount do it is almost always cheesy as hell and makes me laugh. 

14 minutes ago, commendable said:

Imagine if this one is well received and has good legs. if the sequel is batman vs joker then i see a 250 mil OW

If it is JP joker? $300m+ easily no doubt 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/18/2022 at 8:29 PM, 21C said:

The sequels being even more campy doesn't reduce Batman Returns camp at all. It has a scene where Catwoman just randomnly puts a bird into her mouth for no good reason at all, she got resurrected by cats, the third act involves penguins with explosives; if that's not extremely campy I don't know what is. 

She's doing that entirely on purpose, of course, to intimidate the Penguin into working with her -- and yes, because she's clearly not operating at 100% sanity.  It's probably also a reference to 1942's "Cat People" -- where the lead character, who is mentally disturbed, kills her own bird, then feeds it to a panther.  Catwoman was introduced in the comics just a year or two prior.  

While some could argue that that Batman Returns contains elements of camp, I would argue it is not "extremely campy"...at least not in tone.  Nolan's movies contain equally strange elements.  Take another look at the scene between Joker and Two-Face: two extremely disfigured crazy dudes, one dressed in a nurse outfit, discuss their trauma/worldly philosophies?  Tom Hardy's Bane is also pretty flamboyant in personality!  You need to understand these films in their historical era/context.  But practically no one disagrees that both of Schumacher's follow-ups ARE extremely campy in overall tone, mise-en-scene, and aesthetic, and consciously so (and that doesn't necessarily make them inferior, just...very different.)  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

If it is JP joker? $300m+ easily no doubt 

I do not understand why some people laugh at this post. A sequel with Phoenix's Joker would be crazy. Maybe some people should remember that 4 Batman films beat the OW record.

• Like 3

Hathaway is my favorite Catwoman. Pfeiffer was really good and I find her to be the best part of Batman Returns by far, but I think some people here forget how great Hathaway was. When The Dark Knight Rises released, she was getting the most praise for her role.

There was a really dark and mysterious allure about her. Zoe Kravitz nailed it as Leta in Crimes of Grindelwald, so I have really high hopes for her.

I still stand by that there is no other actress her generation in which the cameras love as much as her.

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Hathaway is my favorite Catwoman. Pfeiffer was really good and I find her to be the best part of Batman Returns by far, but I think some people here forget how great Hathaway was. When The Dark Knight Rises released, she was getting the most praise for her role.

There was a really dark and mysterious allure about her. Zoe Kravitz nailed it as Leta in Crimes of Grindelwald, so I have really high hopes for her.

I still stand by that there is no other actress her generation in which the cameras love as much as her.

Hathaway is actually the Catwoman I’m least familiar with. I think I’ve only seen the film once or twice. But agreed, she was good. Michelle is just peak though. Iconic. 

Looking forward to Zoë. Just watched Kimi and she’s excellent. Harry Potter isn’t for me, but I’ve seen her in Big Little Lies, Mad Max, Rough Night etc. 

Edited by Krissykins