Eric the Minion

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The problem now isn't so much the amount of them, but the intensity of them.  At least that's the way I understand it, as someone living in a tornado-free (for now) state.

Yeah, that explains it. I live in Ohio and there was a pretty bad tornado that tore up a village north of Columbus a month ago, but it's already way old news. We deal with it with a certain degree of stoicism and appreciate them as the dramatic forces of nature they are. 

Also, like I said, the movie wasn't about indulging in the destruction so much as promoting the characters' professions. People were inspired to become meteorologists and climatologists because of the movie, and that does seem to be the same angle they're taking here. 

Every storm system that comes up during the summer doesn't need to be a new excuse to spin a controversy out of this movie's existence. They happen pretty regularly and we're used to them. The director is from Arkansas, I presume he is very familiar with the local attitudes toward them and will present them with sufficient sensitivity. 

Edited by AniNate

20 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The problem now isn't so much the amount of them, but the intensity of them.  At least that's the way I understand it, as someone living in a tornado-free (for now) state.

Somronr mrnyionrf San Andreas (which, theough sucessful at the box office was a lousy movie INH)).

Thing is how often do we have bad earthquakes caompared to destrutive tornados. I swill take my chances here in Californiaa any day of the week.

Posted (edited)

Don't really want to make this a disaster olympics, but I do think this discourse really speaks to the lack of knowledge people who don't deal with tornadoes as a regular threat in the summer have about them. We have really good warning systems thanks to people like the storm chasers in these movies, and they help minimize casualties significantly. In the last 50 years only the Joplin tornado 13 years ago was deadly anywhere close to the level of some of the biggest early 20th century ones. 

Not to diminish the one death which of course is still sad, but that was the toll of that tornado outbreak last night. May as well say no action or disaster movies whatsoever should be made if people think that is too traumatizing.

Edited by AniNate

I snickered at the Tin Man truck. This looks like silly fun just like the first, really think people here are overstating the baggage attached to it. The top YouTube comments I think are pretty indicative of how the GA feels about it.

6 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Is Superman getting fridged in this lol

From the announcement of his casting as a late addition I had him pegged as playing Daisy Edgar-Jones' husband/fiancé/boyfriend/dad in flashbacks who gets sucked up into a twister early in the movie. Judging by his footage from the marketing so far all appearing to be from the same scene, that might not be far off the mark. Hopefully we actually see him flying for the lolz.

• Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

From the announcement of his casting as a late addition I had him pegged as playing Daisy Edgar-Jones' husband/fiancé/boyfriend/dad in flashbacks who gets sucked up into a twister early in the movie. Judging by his footage from the marketing so far all appearing to be from the same scene, that might not be far off the mark. Hopefully we actually see him flying for the lolz.

Bonus points if they have him do this:

stop GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Looks fun but they’re trying to Dead Reckoning it by opening one week before Deadpool 3

Deadpool 3 is not going to be as big as Barbenheimer. Barbenheimer was similar to a Endgame/NWH type event. This is going to be more a Doctor Strange 2 type beat. Plenty of room for other films.