TMP

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem | August 2, 2023 | CG reboot produced by Seth Rogen produced | Fourth most profitable movie of 2023

Regarding April, I’ll just say this; I don’t understand why making her a teenager has seemingly become the norm in the Nickelodeon era, outside of the Michael Bay films. Why exactly can’t April be an adult?  Is this part of the mindset from executives that kids can’t relate to adult characters? 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

TMNT is going for kids and older fans nostalgic about the brand. Mario and Barbie pretty much did the same thing with massive sucess.

Can we can get 3 home runs in a row?

3 hours ago, Human said:

No.  Haunted Mansion broke the streak badly.  It is on pace to bomb worse than Shazam 2.

haunted mansion absolutely does not belong in the same category as mario or barbie or tmnt lol. there’s not like a massive secret cohort of adult fans just dying for a good haunted mansion movie 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Regarding April, I’ll just say this; I don’t understand why making her a teenager has seemingly become the norm in the Nickelodeon era, outside of the Michael Bay films. Why exactly can’t April be an adult?  Is this part of the mindset from executives that kids can’t relate to adult characters? 

Spoiler

Well it does make Leo's crush less icky

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Because they're Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles not Adult Mutant Ninja Turtles, April being friends with a bunch of teenagers would be a bit odd if she's much older than them. I'm not that bothered personally and actually it's one of those changes that actually works fine.

12 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Reveal hidden contents

Why do they even have to go there in the first place? 

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Because they're Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles not Adult Mutant Ninja Turtles, April being friends with a bunch of teenagers would be a bit odd if she's much older than them. I'm not that bothered personally and actually it's one of those changes that actually works fine.

She doesn’t need to have any romantic interest in them. I always liked to see her as a big sister figure to them. Besides, that stuff isn’t exactly uncommon in superhero stories. The MCU has been doing it too. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Why do they even have to go there in the first place? 

I mean, I thought the way the movie handled it was pretty sweet, and it does tie in with its larger themes. I'm not a real die hard though so I'm not real concerned with April being the "correct" age.

Just now, AniNate said:

I mean, I thought the way the movie handled it was pretty sweet, and it does tie in with its larger themes. I'm not a real die hard though so I'm not real concerned with April being the "correct" age.

I’m not exactly a diehard either. I just think it’s weird how much Nickelodeon has been pushing this. 

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not exactly a diehard either. I just think it’s weird how much Nickelodeon has been pushing this. 

Why is it weird? And why do you think they've been "pushing" this? I mean maybe someone at Nick is really committed to the age of this character, but when a change is made for one iteration and it works, it tends to reverberate through future ones until someone feels compelled to make a change again. For this, they clearly built the story around April being a teen and a more direct foil of the turtles. Much of the story would be different if she were older and had her traditional backstory.

I know literally nothing about TMNT and didn't know she's usually older when I watched this, but I liked the character a lot on her own merits.

15 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Why changing her to the point she looks absolutely nothing like the character though? It's like calling Ned Harry Osborn and just roll with it.

Edited by Firepower

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm just happy that a Ninja Turtles movie is finally critically acclaimed.

TMNT fan here and I hope it can do well and not be swallowed by Barbenheimer. At least TMNT is coming out on their 3rd weekend instead of their 2nd.

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

TMNT fan here and I hope it can do well and not be swallowed by Barbenheimer. At least TMNT is coming out on their 3rd weekend instead of their 2nd.

I hope it is successful as well. Oppenheimer won't be competition for obvious reasons but Barbie will be. 

On 8/1/2023 at 10:38 AM, WittyUsername said:

Bingo.

I think the teen age April damages the charecter and her relationship with the Ninjas, since in the original and the Bay films he was sort of a surrogate mother to them. You lose that if she is roughly the same ago.