Eric the Minion

Disney+ MCU: Ms. Marvel | June 8 2022 | Directors include Adil El Arbi, Bilall Fallah, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and Meera Menon

Also think showing it at the same time as Obi-Wan Kenobi is doing the show no favors, presuming Samba TV is correct, which is... dicey at best.

(about now when @Legion and Thunder would say "there are other days of the week, Disney")

((personally, I think having Marvel Wednesdays and Star Wars Fridays [or Sundays/Mondays]) would suit me just fine))

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Also the idea that lower interest in an origin story show about teenage struggles and growing up means low interest in a movie about a superhero trio fighting cosmic threats makes no sense to me. 

Because this show is directly connected to Captain Marvel2/The Marvels just like WandaVision was directly connected to MoM. Even an animated show What if.. had better views than Ms. Marvel.

34 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Also think showing it at the same time as Obi-Wan Kenobi is doing the show no favors, presuming Samba TV is correct, which is... dicey at best.

(about now when @Legion and Thunder would say "there are other days of the week, Disney")

((personally, I think having Marvel Wednesdays and Star Wars Fridays [or Sundays/Mondays]) would suit me just fine))

Yeah Kenobi factor is huge as well. Baffling to me why they didn't go with different days.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This is something I still don't understand. Who in their right mind thought debuting new episodes of your 2 biggest franchises on the same day was a good idea?? It inevitably just mean one gets overlooked as the "water cooler" talk sways to the larger series. Just a stupid decision, IMO. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Factcheck said:

Total views matter more than this, this is the best mcu show imo & it deserved at least 1.5M views if not 1.8M like Moon Knight. This is also bad news for the The Marvels as this indicate low interest in Captain Marvel too.

I love that people act to this day as if Cap Marvel is not popular enough.

Monica is on The Marvels, does that means Wandavision popularity will bring the box office? hilarious.

5 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

I love that people act to this day as if Cap Marvel is not popular enough.

Monica is on The Marvels, does that means Wandavision popularity will bring the box office? hilarious.

People didn't watch WandaVision bcz of Monica, they watched it because of Wanda & bcz it was connected to Doctor Strange. Importance & acceptability of character matter more than popularity in MCU. This low views shows that either people not taking Captain Marvel seriouly or they haven't accepted the character yet.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

People didn't watch WandaVision bcz of Monica, they watched it because of Wanda & bcz it was connected to Doctor Strange. Importance & acceptability of character matter more than popularity in MCU. This low views shows that either people not taking Captain Marvel seriouly or they haven't accepted the character yet.

Captain Marvel is not the same character. What is so hard to understand here?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Captain Marvel is not the same character. What is so hard to understand here?

Some are giving lame excuse that people are not watching Ms. Marvel bcz its a teenage show. Stranger things is also a teen show & Spider-man is also a teenage character. So why people are skipping this show? The reason is Ms. Marvel is connected to Captain Marvel & people either not taking the CM seriously or they haven't embraced the character like other mcu characters, so why would they take her supporting character seriously?

4 hours ago, ZurgXXR said:

This is something I still don't understand. Who in their right mind thought debuting new episodes of your 2 biggest franchises on the same day was a good idea?? It inevitably just mean one gets overlooked as the "water cooler" talk sways to the larger series. Just a stupid decision, IMO. 

I think they thought having two big shows would compliment each other, but I don't believe that at all. I think from now on, Disney should aim to have their live action shows not overlapping. She-Hulk isn't until September, I think. They could have simply waited for Obi-Wan to finish and then start this the week after. I guess the real issue is going to be Andor. Isn't it's first season like 12-episodes?

I'm taking a break from Internet posting but have to break that break this one time cause I love this show and some hot takes are lol.

MM viewership is not a failure nor surprise considering already mentioned limitiations:

Most sigificant - brand new character, no big name actors (while most people never heard of MK, they know Oscar Isaac and Eathan Hawke, 2 names that may not be draws on their own but that landed credibility to the project)

Also most significant - Kenobi launch, arguably a much more anticipated show with a huge built-in fandom that overlaps with Marvel. Fans prioritized Kenobi which means MM viewrship will spike when Kenobi ends (finale is next week if I'm not mistaken, dropped the show so I don't know). Get back to me in 2 weeks or so when MM audience increases which is inevitable. Kenobi viewers who want to cath up with MM will do so. Take it to the bank. That said, MM is the first but won't be the last Marvel show that has to share the audience with a LFL show. The more shows LFL produces, the more it's likely there will be collision with a Marvel show. Two can't be #1. 

also very significant - it's a teen show like CW shows. All teenagers watch shows about adults but not all adults watch teen shows even the ones with great WOM. It's just the nature of the beast. And in SH fandom, a show that's more growing pains with some superpowers  rather than a SH show with a teenager, is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. That said, Marvel is replenishing its base, wants new generation to grow up with new heroes who are their age, so it's a win in the long run. 

less significant but still limiting - it's a very culturally specific show. The more culturally generic the IP is the broader the appeal, the more relatable it is. MM has scenes that explain the culture to broader viewership (example: history of the Partition, the meaning of wearing the hijab) which may not be interesting to some or it may be confusing or it may be simply "shut up and kick some ass" (the show is low on action so far which may turn off action afictionados). 

None of these viewership limitations has anything to do with Captain Marvel for most people don't even associate this new character with CM. I don't know why some fans are so paranoid about CM's popularity but she'll be fine. Now that amnesiac nonsense is out of the way, the character can only get better. 

So yeah, numbers in vacuum don't give the real picture. Wait for Kenobi end and then check the numbers. Guaranteed will cross 1M views per episode. WOM is excellent especially about how super likable the characters are, but especially our heroine Kamala Khan. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I'm taking a break from Internet posting but have to break that break this one time cause I love this show and some hot takes are lol.

MM viewership is not a failure nor surprise considering already mentioned limitiations:

Most sigificant - brand new character, no big name actors (while most people never heard of MK, they know Oscar Isaac and Eathan Hawke, 2 names that may not be draws on their own but that landed credibility to the project)

Also most significant - Kenobi launch, arguably a much more anticipated show with a huge built-in fandom that overlaps with Marvel. Fans prioritized Kenobi which means MM viewrship will spike when Kenobi ends (finale is next week if I'm not mistaken, dropped the show so I don't know). Get back to me in 2 weeks or so when MM audience increases which is inevitable. Kenobi viewers who want to cath up with MM will do so. Take it to the bank. That said, MM is the first but won't be the last Marvel show that has to share the audience with a LFL show. The more shows LFL produces, the more it's likely there will be collision with a Marvel show. Two can't be #1. 

also very significant - it's a teen show like CW shows. All teenagers watch shows about adults but not all adults watch teen shows even the ones with great WOM. It's just the nature of the beast. And in SH fandom, a show that's more growing pains with some superpowers  rather than a SH show with a teenager, is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. That said, Marvel is replenishing its base, wants new generation to grow up with new heroes who are their age, so it's a win in the long run. 

less significant but still limiting - it's a very culturally specific show. The more culturally generic the IP is the broader the appeal, the more relatable it is. MM has scenes that explain the culture to broader viewership (example: history of the Partition, the meaning of wearing the hijab) which may not be interesting to some or it may be confusing or it may be simply "shut up and kick some ass" (the show is low on action so far which may turn off action afictionados). 

None of these viewership limitations has anything to do with Captain Marvel for most people don't even associate this new character with CM. I don't know why some fans are so paranoid about CM's popularity but she'll be fine. Now that amnesiac nonsense is out of the way, the character can only get better. 

So yeah, numbers in vacuum don't give the real picture. Wait for Kenobi end and then check the numbers. Guaranteed will cross 1M views per episode. WOM is excellent especially about how super likable the characters are, but especially our heroine Kamala Khan. 

I don't agree with Kenobi reason that you giving, multiple shows of different franchise can stream per month on streaming platform, if Star Wars has its fanbase so has MCU but why Majority of MCU fans skipping this show? Why this show getting lower views than animated What if..? Andor & She-hulk will also stream at same time, I'm pretty sure it won't affect views of She-Hulk. And most people associated MM with CM, most people know she idolize CM, most people know this show will lead into The Marvels. But yes I agree with you that in future it is very much possible that Ms. Marvel popularity increase 10 folds.

1 minute ago, Factcheck said:

I don't agree with Kenobi reason that you giving, multiple shows of different franchise can stream per month on streaming platform, if Star Wars has its fanbase so has MCU but why Majority of MCU fans skipping this show? Why this show getting lower views than animated What if..? Andor & She-hulk will also stream at same time, I'm pretty sure it won't affect views of She-Hulk. And most people associated MM with CM, most people know she idolize CM, most people know this show will lead into The Marvels. But yes I agree with you that in future it is very much possible that Ms. Marvel popularity increase 10 folds.

Andor doesn't have anywhere near the hype of Kenobi. Still, She-Hulk is probably gonna have lower views as well, given that it seems to be the lowest-stakes of the shows so far. 

Excellent 2nd episode. This show is simply just great. Definitely my 2nd favorite so far after WandaVision.

I love how quirky and colorful it is. Absolutely a breath of fresh air for the MCU in general.

Let's hope it sticks the landing.

re: its popularity. I think it will find its audience, it just needs some time. Time for Kenobi to end and the WoM to kick in. 

• Like 4

It's the first MCU show to actually have competition, and that too Kenobi which had D+'s biggest premiere till date, so the numbers are not a concern, yet. Post Kenobi finale we will find out if people get around to watching it.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, StormbreakerXXR said:

I think the MCU shows were initially moved from Fridays to Wednesdays so as to not affect the openings of the theatrical movies on Fridays. But you'd think they'd have waited for Kenobi to wrap up first. Was the concern that they didn't want Ms. Marvel to overlap with Love & Thunder's entire first month?

Or Kenobi could have premiered earlier in May, unless they were concerned it would affect MoM's legs (which... um, lol) 

With MoM's crap legs and Lightyear's crap opening, they may as well move either the MCU or SW shows to Fridays instead of dropping them together mid-week to avoid a lose/lose situation. 

Chapek making/approving decisions that are getting him fucked from all sides

gif рука лицо - Google Search | Giphy, Awkward moments, Facepalm gif

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 1:22 PM, Menor Reborn said:

Andor doesn't have anywhere near the hype of Kenobi. Still, She-Hulk is probably gonna have lower views as well, given that it seems to be the lowest-stakes of the shows so far. 

Didn't SH supposedly have great trailer views?

I guess my problem with the blaming Kenobi theory is this: If either show dropped on friday instead, how much drastically different would MsM's numbers be? It's only 2 days. 

2 hours ago, RRA said:

Didn't SH supposedly have great trailer views?

I guess my problem with the blaming Kenobi theory is this: If either show dropped on friday instead, how much drastically different would MsM's numbers be? It's only 2 days. 

Overall trailer views were high at 78m but YouTube was not too different from Ms Marvel and well below Moon Knight. 

I think if Kenobi dropped on Friday, you could see a significant boost in Ms Marvel's numbers. It wouldn't suddenly close the full gap between itself and Moon Knight, but it wouldn't have such a drastic drop-off either. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RRA said:

I guess my problem with the blaming Kenobi theory is this: If either show dropped on friday instead, how much drastically different would MsM's numbers be?

A lot because a huge appeal of experiencing shows in the post-social media/digital world, especially those aimed at younger demos, is to instantly discuss them with friends or followers online or check what people are saying on YouTube and Twitter. The massive popularity of teen-centric shows like Euphoria entirely rest on trending hashtags and online memeifications/discussions instantly after a new episode drops. 

It's a huge obstacle if there's a competing, bigger show dropping on the same day, especially on the same platform, that people will be talking about instead.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1