TMP

Napoleon | Sony/Apple | November 22, 2023 | Joaquin Phoenix is Napoleon | Ridley Scott

47 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Ridley said he edited a 4 hour cut though? If they don't release it soon imma be pissed lol.

Oh the 4 hour cut..which I am dying to see) will be released, not so sure how soon it will be. The unexpected box office strength of the movie will dealy tha director's cut release.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Ridley said he edited a 4 hour cut though? If they don't release it soon imma be pissed lol.

He did, but it doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon. I remember he bragged about 4 hour cut of Exodus as well, but it was never released.

Edited by TomThomas

15 hours ago, TomThomas said:

Ridley is known for releasing alternative cuts of his films, and this movie is no exception. Did you guys know pretty early on that you’d be releasing a longer version of this story on Apple TV+?

That’s not official yet. The cut that is in theaters is the cut that’s going to stream on Apple. Downfield, there might be another thing to look at, and we have multiple longer cuts of the movie that are beautiful. But the movie that people see in the theater is the movie that’s going to stream on Apple in January.

Producer Kevin Walsh denied streaming release of extended cut, at least for now.

This movie isn't the awards darling they were hoping for, nor is it making a ton of money, so they're not going to spend extra money to release an alternate version.

The only way we'll see more is if Apple's gambit to gain a hefty number of subscribers once KotFM, Napoleon, and Argyle works out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This movie isn't the awards darling they were hoping for, nor is it making a ton of money, so they're not going to spend extra money to release an alternate version.

The only way we'll see more is if Apple's gambit to gain a hefty number of subscribers once KotFM, Napoleon, and Argyle works out.

I disagree; it would not cost much to release the Scott cut of "Napoleon". It is not like they would need to spend money on it the way Warners needed to for the Snyder Cut of Justice League.

And Apple network will be desperate for material.

Edited by dudalb

37 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I disagree; it would not cost much to release the Scott cut of "Napoleon". It is not like they would need to spend money on it the way Warners needed to for the Snyder Cut of Justice League.

And Apple network will be desperate for material.

Barely anyone would buy a ticket for a 4 hour movie, that's nearly 5 hours with trailers spending the day at a theater.

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Barely anyone would buy a ticket for a 4 hour movie, that's nearly 5 hours with trailers spending the day at a theater.

The3 four hour  will be on DVD/streaming/digital not theters. Like the long version of 'Kingdom Of Heaven" was on DVD only.

I nev er said, and never thought, it would gbt a threatrical release.

Edited by dudalb

8 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Nowhere near one of my faves of the year but I can't deny I've thought about it and keep thinking about it more than better films ive seen. Need that 4 hour cut desperately, I'm deeply fascinated by this thing.

Said on the weekend thread that this movie had potential but it could not quite get there. There is so much interesting stuff but it feels like a cliff notes movie. Would love to see that 4 hour cut. It worked for Kingdom Of Heaven.  One thing for sure is that Ridley proved what a master of large scale action and battle sequences he is. 

• Like 1

More I think about it, less I like it, and I'm saying that as a massive Rildey fan. Choppy editing and flawed script is a given for Ridley these days, but what actually bothers me is how it feels so much like it was done on autopilot, there's no passion behind it at all, and good costumes and sets are undersold by suprisingly weak cinematography, it's so flat, grey, lifeless and digital, it has no depth at all, there are TV shows which look better than this. Score is also really weak too and often feels out of place which is not surprising because the guy who scored this is nobody. Gladiator 2 is in big trouble if it's anything like this movie, I don't even expect good visuals anymore. Ridley used to be a real visionary, but not anymore I guess.

Another flopped and flawed Ridley epic 1492, also criticized for historical inaccuracies, is a better movie across the board, especially music and cinematography. This scene alone destroyes the entire Napoleon:

Oliver Stone's "Alexander" seemingly flopped in theaters, but Warner Bros. supported Stone in recutting it three(!) additional times for subsequent home video releases... anything is possible, and of course Scott is still currently in very strong standing career-wise.  

59 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

How much did Napoleon need to make a profit?

Or was this another Killers of the Flower Moon, something just for Apple+ streaming so boxoffice doesn't matter?

I’m pretty sure the box office doesn’t matter to Apple. The budget for these films is pocket change for them.