Eric Loves Rey

Best Picture Predictions - 2021

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

As Focus Feature top contender this year, Belfast 6.9m is actually not much higher than their PYM.

Speaking of Studio performance, Searchlight maybe missing the Oscar BP race for the 1st time since 2017 Oscar. I start suspecting drive my car may coming out from nowhere and surprise the race, either in BP or Best Director. The buzz has been building and passionate. It is now the sixth (and first non-English-language) film to win Best Picture from all three major U.S. film critics' groups (Los Angeles Film Critics Association, New York Film Critics Circle and National Society of Film Critics) after Goodfellas, Schindler's List, L.A. Confidential, The Hurt Locker and The Social Network. All of them are final BP nominees. The only "problem" is the film being non-english and it is  in the hand of the super-mini distributor called Janus FILM.

Ok but Promising Young Woman released last year during the pandemic pre-vaccine with limited capacity lol. 

• Thanks 1

Golden Globe winners:

DRAMA: Power of the Dog

DRAMA ACTOR: Will Smith

DRAMA ACTRESS: Nicole Kidman

DIRECTOR: Power of the Dog

SCREENPLAY: Belfast

MUSICAL/COMEDY: West Side Story

MUSICAL/COMEDY ACTOR: Andrew Garfield

MUSICAL/COMEDY ACTRESS: Rachel Zegler

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Kodi Smit-McPhee

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Ariana DeBose

SCORE: Dune

SONG: No Time To Die

ANIMATED: Encanto

FOREIGN: Drive My Car

But since the Globes have been blacklisted and not publicly acknowledged by the studios or talent, probably meaningless

Kidman! The Globes really love her and Sorkin, so it's not that surprising. These wins are meaningless, but I am now officially pulling for the chaos of Stewart and Gaga both missing with AMPAS...

But even when Globes were glitzy and star-studded, the Academy often did its own thing. Oscar nomination voting still doesn't start until the 27th, too long for tonight to have much lingering influence. Of course, it's fine if any award wants to exist for its own sake instead of just trying to predict the Oscars.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I think LP is a good movie, BP worthy, but I feel no way in hell they'll let a movie about an underage teen dating a girl 10 years older than him win. Just saw it today. PTA needs to win one of these days. He's very consistently an excellent filmmaker.

1 minute ago, CloneWars said:

I think LP is a good movie, BP worthy, but I feel no way in hell they'll let a movie about an underage teen dating a girl 10 years older than him win. Just saw it today. PTA needs to win one of these days. He's very consistently an excellent filmmaker.

Who is "they"? Voters vote for whatever they like and want to. He can still win Screenplay. Picture was always going to be a stretch. It's he or Branagh and screenplay has usually gone to the cooler choice like Promising Young Woman, etc. PTA has still the most overall writing wins so far in Original Screenplay. Nobody outside of twitter deeply cares about this because it's subjective and more nuanced than "lol dating age gap". Headlines last less than a week. Even the old pundits and Oscar reporters such as Pete Hammond and Anne Thompson find the complaining to be ridiculous. He has 8 nominations which makes him most overdue director without a win currently living. He's clearly supported

You all keep forgetting how meaningless backlash online is. Remember Jojo Rabbit? Three Billboards won 2 acting awards. Brad Pitt won an Oscar for fighting Bruce Lee which annoyed Twitter. The writer of Green Book is a Trump supporter who tweeted racism. Hell, this imaginary Elgort thing had no impact on these reformed Globe nominations. 

What would hurt Oscar chances is if film misses the DGA

These Globes have been meaningless for years but Power of Dog still winning Drama, Belfast underpeforming and Stewart being rejected for a favorite cannot bode very well heading into most important guild awards.

Belfast has even less going for it than Green Book and Chicago 7. While Power of Dog is usual film that loses for being more a critic favorite, it might luck out this year. West Side Story didn't take off at box office and there's probably not much rooting factor for the film.

Unless she somehow ends up snubbed against all logic and reason, I'm pretty sure DeBose is gonna end up taking SAG and then BAFTA and that's it, the Oscar will be hers. Would be even sweeter if Moreno 60 years after winning also got nominated for her excellent turn in the movie. The odds are very much in her favor anyway since Anita is just a "winning" role in general (Karen Olivio won the Tony for the 2009 revival).

I also suspect Kodi Smit-McPhee is coming for a sweep as well.

16 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

As Focus Feature top contender this year, Belfast 6.9m is actually not much higher than their PYM.

Speaking of Studio performance, Searchlight maybe missing the Oscar BP race for the 1st time since 2017 Oscar. I start suspecting drive my car may coming out from nowhere and surprise the race, either in BP or Best Director. The buzz has been building and passionate. It is now the sixth (and first non-English-language) film to win Best Picture from all three major U.S. film critics' groups (Los Angeles Film Critics Association, New York Film Critics Circle and National Society of Film Critics) after Goodfellas, Schindler's List, L.A. Confidential, The Hurt Locker and The Social Network. All of them are final BP nominees. The only "problem" is the film being non-english and it is  in the hand of the super-mini distributor called Janus FILM.

So do I. The last two BP spots still seem wide opened and the buzz is definitely growing. Also, AMPAS has more foreign members than ever.

I wouldn't read TOO much into the Kidman win. The gloves can't resist her nor Sorkin, and Stewart was always going to struggle here, but I guess I thought Colman or Gaga were more likely to upset.

It does look like Power of the Dog is gonna repeat its huge success with critics though.

Kidman was also one of the three nominations for Being the Ricardos, whereas Stewart was her movie's only nomination. Actress in general seems to be a mess with at least 8 people (Chastain, Colman, Cruz, Gaga, Haim, Kidman, Stewart, Zegler) in serious contention for noms. Will be interesting to see who misses at SAG on Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Kidman was also one of the three nominations for Being the Ricardos, whereas Stewart was her movie's only nomination. Actress in general seems to be a mess with at least 8 people (Chastain, Colman, Cruz, Gaga, Haim, Kidman, Stewart, Zegler) in serious contention for noms. Will be interesting to see who misses at SAG on Wednesday. 

There's also the completely random SAG nomination that isn't going to happen anywhere else, either because they're an established "name" (Helen Mirren, Amy Adams for Hillbilly Elegy last year), or the movie was one of the first screeners. Remember Sarah Silverman for I Smile Back?

I've been seeing that there were screener issues with SAG for West Side Story, if it has a poor showing that might be why.

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

There's also the completely random SAG nomination that isn't going to happen anywhere else, either because they're an established "name" (Helen Mirren, Amy Adams for Hillbilly Elegy last year), or the movie was one of the first screeners. Remember Sarah Silverman for I Smile Back?

Naomi Watts in St. Vincent FTW

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Yay?

I guess a pandemic ravaged Oscars needs someone to at least direct the stuff. Last year's horrible show could have used a host commenting on everything to make it better and not have that absolute downer of an ending as the last thing people remembered.

During a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Tom Holland, the star of Spider-Man: No Way Home, the biggest blockbuster of the pandemic, expressed interest in hosting the Oscars, and The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the Academy did reach out to him to explore that possibility.

Oscars: 2022 Ceremony Will Have a Host – The Hollywood Reporter

Hoping to ride the coattails of that Uncharted afterglow!

We'll see if it happens but hey, it can't be worse than Franco and Hathaway now can it?!

PICTURE:

1. The Power of the Dog

2. Belfast

3. West Side Story

4. Licorice Pizza

5. Dune

6. Don't Look Up

7. King Richard

8. CODA

9. Tick Tick Boom

10. House of Gucci

ALT: Being the Ricardos

SPOILER: Drive My Car

NGNG: The Lost Daughter

DIRECTOR:

1. Jane Campion, Power of the Dog

2. Steven Spielberg, West Side Story

3. Denis Villeneuve, Dune

4. Paul Thomas Anderson, Licorice Pizza

5. Kenneth Branagh, Belfast

ALT/SPOILER: Hamaguchi, Drive My Car

ACTOR:

1. Will Smith, King Richard

2. Benedict Cumberbatch, Power of the Dog

3. Andrew Garfield, Tick Tick Boom

4. Denzel Washington, Macbeth

5. Javier Bardem, Being the Ricardos

ALT: Leonardo DiCaprio, Don't Look Up- he's already missed BFCA and SAG. Unlikely for BAFTA, too

SPOILER: Peter Dinklage, Cyrano- not enough buzz

NGNG: Nic Cage, Pig

ACTRESS:

1. Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos

2. Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter

3. Lady Gaga, House of Gucci

4. Jessica Chastain, Tammy Faye

5. Alana Haim, Licorice Pizza

ALT: Rachel Zegler, West Side Story- she's only won Globe and made NBR. The film missing SAG Ensemble means it lacks real buzz

SPOILER: Kristen Stewart, Spencer- maybe she can still get nominated but her film has been totally rejected so far

NGNG: Jennifer Hudson, Respect

SUPPORTING ACTOR:

1. Kodi Smit-McPhee, Power of the Dog

2. Troy Kotsur, CODA

3. Bradley Cooper, Licorice Pizza

4. Jared Leto, House of Gucci

5. Ciaran Hinds, Belfast

ALT: Jamie Dornan, Belfast- probably too light a role

SPOILER: Ben Affleck, The Tender Bar- he's clearly the SAG/Globe snub but weak year and she's campaigning

NGNG: Al Pacino, House of Gucci

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

1. Ariana DeBose, West Side Story

2. Kirsten Dunst, Power of the Dog

3. Caitriona Balfe, Belfast

4. Ruth Negga, Passing

5. Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard

ALT: Rita Moreno, West Side Story- still a possible coattail

SPOILER: Cate Blanchett, Don't Look Up- she wasn't even BAFTA longlisted for Nightmare Alley

NGNG: None

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

1. Belfast

2. Licorice Pizza

3. Don't Look Up

4. Being the Ricardos

5. C'mon C'mon

ALT: King Richard

SPOILER: The French Dispatch

NGNG: The Worst Person in the World

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

1. Power of the Dog