Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

ITH could be wake up call for WB for their strategy to give out their new film at no cost. Those who subscribe hbo max for Friend reunion can easily catch ITH this month if they go for ads free version. $15 for a ads free +new film access, is not a bad deal at all. I guess outside of Latino community and broadway demo, the film hardly ignite any event status among general public.  

How long before Matrix 4 and Dune mysteriously get delayed to 2022? 

• Haha 1

Definitely underwhelming for In the Heights. This actually feels like it was hurt by the simultaneous release much more than any of the other major WB titles were. I'm seeing it in a theater today but I know a lot of people who have already seen it by watching it on HBO Max.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, AJG said:

How long before Matrix 4 and Dune mysteriously get delayed to 2022? 

Idk about Dune but I’ve been saying I’d be surprised if Matrix doesn’t move to MLK weekend 2022 since like the HBO max deal was announced lol

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

I had prepped for this possibility; but I wasn’t ready to be assaulted with the idea of free popcorn killing the only thing worthy of theaters 

Technically, a Quiet Place 2 could still win the weekend or place #2, so free popcorn would only make it worse...

Look, I love WB, but ITH somehow has really missed on OW...hopefully, it has next weekend with no "real" openers to recover...

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I had prepped for this possibility; but I wasn’t ready to be assaulted with the idea of free popcorn killing the only thing worthy of theaters 

I think UK or some other market did this and result were really good. I think Korea did for all films a week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Feige should have held off until Mon, everyone is too busy buying BW tickets to go to the movies :sadno:

I was gonna ask this since I am never been in such situation as pre-sales open very late in India. Does pre-sales of big film impact box office because eventually audience are spending money on a film, cutting disposable income for that week. Yeah sure pre-sales may be mostly for fans and not general audiences, but some impact? at all?

Honestly I'm not fully convinced the Max release hurt it that much. I get that something like GvK or Conjuring or whatever fits the theatrical experience people want nowadays. But just looking at Charlie's Google Trends, even when the first trailer dropped pre-COVID, it didn't seem it got that much attention from people. It very well could be that the film was just not that exciting to the GA and wasn't going to be a big seller anyways. I know that might be frustrating to read, but that stuff happens sometimes.

• Like 9

There is no yet a beneficiary of "pent-up demand". Hardly any film surprise at the box office. Even AQP2 was just doing in line with its pre-pandemic projection.

A film helped by the "pent-up demand" should overperform to a level that nobody could expect so even in the normal world. I would argue DS is the one but nothing else right now in the marketplace. 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I wonder how non-blockbusters will actually do at the box office. And how much being the first movies back helped AQP2 and Cruella to a lesser extent.

Will be interesting to do the autopsy in August.

Movies with built-in audiences like F9 and Black Widow (even with the $30 simultaneous release) should be fine but anything that is deemed "non-big-screen-essential" and is available to watch on streaming services with no extra charge the same day like, say, Boss Baby 2 and Space Jam 2 should probably take this as a sign of trouble.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'll be interested to know if they did in fact turn out for it...hopefully Deadline will have audience breakdowns later this weekend...

The OW breakdown isnt the best breakdown for non-white and female audiences because their percentages tend to expand on week 2 and 3.

I'll also take a wild guess and suggest that the media (deadline) have made the mistake of acting like latinos are just one large amalgam of people without specific culture and history (similar to the mistake in polling the media pulled in the 2020 election). The movie centres on Dominicans in NY more than anything.

• Like 2