Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

27 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I was gonna ask this since I am never been in such situation as pre-sales open very late in India. Does pre-sales of big film impact box office because eventually audience are spending money on a film, cutting disposable income for that week. Yeah sure pre-sales may be mostly for fans and not general audiences, but some impact? at all?

I always kind of felt like Shazam was hit by Endgame tickets dropping the Wednesday or so before its release. Still did good obviously, but the discussion and hype for its opening I feel was kind of just overshadowed by all the excitement and rush and virtual queues of people seeing the new Avengers title, and I think it could have opened a little bit better without that looming over it. Obviously I can't really prove this of course, but it was a weird feeling I got.

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Still no Eric Legion :( 

Someday

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

naah "of" doesn't work. 

It’s a variant ;)   

Considered Loki Legion, but it just sounds like a legion that serves Loki instead of a legion composed of Loki’s. Could have gone with Lokis Legion I suppose, still kind of looks like a botched possessive.

Anyway, too late now not paying for more 😛 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Scott Pilgrim part 2? That had a lot of prescreenings which hurt OW in a big way and was niche to start with

Feel like Love, Simon also dealt with that too. I remember they had advance screenings as early as January for that movie, and I think that just led to everybody who wanted to see it...seeing it before it came out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

I always kind of felt like Shazam was hit by Endgame tickets dropping the Wednesday or so before its release. Still did good obviously, but the discussion and hype for its opening I feel was kind of just overshadowed by all the excitement and rush and virtual queues of people seeing the new Avengers title, and I think it could have opened a little bit better without that looming over it. Obviously I can't really prove this of course, but it was a weird feeling I got.

A:EG had like $70M worth sales through Sunday so quite likely it did impact Shazam, and may be these big films certainly do affect but how about something like BW which probably will have ~$5M sale by Sunday.

1 minute ago, Legion of Lokis said:

Someday

It’s a variant ;)   

Considered Loki Legion, but it just sounds like a legion that serves Loki instead of a legion composed of Loki’s. Could have gone with Lokis Legion I suppose, still kind of looks like a botched possessive.

Anyway, too late now not paying for more 😛 

I personally would love to be in a legion that serves Loki

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Legion of Lokis said:

Lokis' Legion

But I guess "'" don't work in names.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Unless In the Heights develops Greatest Showman-esque staying power it looks like West Side Story will easily win the Biggest Musical of 2021 contest (sorry, Ben Platt!). Much more famous source material and will be released in theaters only in an environment that will be much closer to complete recovery.

That Ben Platt movie looks like an incel wet dream.

How is a musical about a guy lying to greiving parents about their sons suicide so he can hookup with the guy's sister something that the Broadway gods allowed to get popular?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Does anyone actually want to see The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard? I think it'll be lucky to reach the 3-day opening of the first over the 5-day and then get wiped off the face of the earth by F9 the following week.

just wait, it's gonna open above heights OW and it'll be a meltdown all over again next weekend

(jk, i'm gonna be in LA next weekend so i won't be online lol)

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I was wondering how every Ryan movie is basically him being Deadpool-ish. Wonder how this all saturation gonna led to DP3.

It's a Marvel movie. Marvel movies are immune to saturation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Another deadline update on audience demo...

"Other intel on In the Heights: The feature musical leaned 62% female, 60% over 25 with half of all moviegoers between 18-34. Outside of Latinx demo, the movie drew 46% Caucasian, 12% Black, and 9% Asian/other.  

Warner Bros. has a unicorn here in regards to great critics’ score at 97% certified fresh, and great Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits of 88% positive and a 67% recommend a strong turnout from the Latinx community at 33%." 

I'm not sure 67% recommend and 33% total Latinx audience is what WB was shooting for.  Especially with the low numbers.  Overall, that's not that many people by ticket purchase compared to other recent movies...

I mean, Godzilla vs Kong had "Black (24%) and Hispanic (26%) viewers." (from Deadline OW) - and that was a WAY higher opening...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

A:EG had like $70M worth sales through Sunday so quite likely it did impact Shazam, and may be these big films certainly do affect but how about something like BW which probably will have ~$5M sale by Sunday.

Personally I don't think BW-level presales will impact things much. As you said it's just not in the same ballpark as Endgame. 

• Like 1

Yeah i don't buy the "it's because of HBO Max" narrative.

Pretty much all WB movies did pretty fine despite HBO Max, and even on worst conditions of the pandemic.

From Tom & Jerry to GxK, Mortal Kombat, Conjuring 3 etc all these movies actually was considered overperformances. 

Even this weekend, Conjuring 3 will drop only 53% despite being for free on HBO Max for 10 days now and it will be even pretty close to ITH debut.

Honestly, i think ITH just have it's potential overestimated, at least for debut, this isn't the first time. Maybe it will develop phenomenal legs.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Well an opening like this was bound to happen eventually after so many "over" performances since T&J. Thankfully it's not F9 or BW doing the under-performing (knock on wood).

Chalk this up another city/metro/industry-hyped musical to misfire with the masses.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

That Ben Platt movie looks like an incel wet dream.

How is a musical about a guy lying to greiving parents about their sons suicide so he can hookup with the guy's sister something that the Broadway gods allowed to get popular?

Because Broadway is a very niche closed ecosystem. Evan Hansen won't survive the hot take machine that exists outside that small pond. We already saw that with Ben Platt pushing back against online trolls.

• Like 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah i don't buy the "it's because of HBO Max" narrative.

Pretty much all WB movies did pretty fine despite HBO Max, and even on worst conditions of the pandemic.

From Tom & Jerry to GxK, Mortal Kombat, Conjuring 3 etc all these movies actually was considered overperformances. 

Even this weekend, Conjuring 3 will drop only 53% despite being for free on HBO Max for 10 days now and it will be even pretty close to ITH debut.

Honestly, i think ITH just have it's potential overestimated, at least for debut, this isn't the first time. Maybe it will develop phenomenal legs.

PS - And even on HBO Max for 3 weeks right now, Conjuring 3 may ALSO beat In the Heights this weekend, and had a close enough Friday to also be in the running for the top spot (albeit unlikely, b/c losing to another horror movie on Friday probably means it loses to it all weekend)...

• Like 1

Just now, Shawn said:

Well an opening like this was bound to happen eventually after so many "over" performances since T&J. Thankfully it wasn't F9 or BW doing the under-performing.

I mean F9 still has a pretty solid shot of underperforming imo; don’t think we are out of the woods yet