Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I understand the home media point and it make sense to me, but i also feel sales are dropping hard every year so i don't know.

I wouldn't expect BW home video to come very near to CM even without PA.

I feel that with streaming growing every year many people know that any movie will be available at some platform and think there's no need to buy physical media.

Yeah to be honest in ten years I think they won't even bother making physical media any longer. Physical media is going the way of VHS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some of the last 10 pages has me confused..... going into the weekend it was a 80/60 = 140m WW expected weekend by the industry. 

Movie meets or passes both marks.

Movie makes an additional 60m via PA (and those of us who would never have bought a ticket are thankful to have contributed in some way.)

But its a failure by most of the people around here? 

Can definitely see that the board is coming out of hibernation..... 🤔🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

lol yall can try to deny it as much as possible, PA absolutely going nowhere. its a massive success. 

…Except that it’s literally going away with Free Guy and Shang-Chi? 🤔

13 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am repeating myself, PA number will only be a good thing if Home Media drop from CM ($105M Net) ain't that much.

What does Black Widows Disney+ number have to do with Deadlines estimated home video sale number for Captain Marvel? 

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Some of the last 10 pages has me confused..... going into the weekend it was a 80/60 = 140m WW expected weekend by the industry. 

Beating deliberate lowballs isn’t very meaningful. If Disney had said “we expected 40M DOM and 30M OS” and then it did 45M DOM and 35M OS, that would have been in actuality awful.   

3 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

thats nor really accurate. D+/Hulu is meant to replace all ancillary sources of revenue as well. Tv deals, home media, everythings...simply with the subscription price. and it will easily do that.  the days of individually monetizing a piece of content are over for disney with how successful D+ is. 

Ya, I get that. But from me personally they won’t be making any extra money, I used to buy all the movies, plus rent them after seeing them in the theatre. But for most people it’s obviously not the same. 

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What does Black Widows Disney+ number have to do with Deadlines estimated home video sale number for Captain Marvel? 

The idea being that people who paid for BW on D+ for $30 would be less willing to pay for it again for the same experience at home, therefore potentially weakening the later home video windows of the title.

Edited by datpepper

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Movie makes an additional 60m via PA (and those of us who would never have bought a ticket are thankful to have contributed in some way.)

But its a failure by most of the people around here? 

Can definitely see that the board is coming out of hibernation..... 🤔🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤣

A lot of people here are massive theater buffs. Many people here go to the movies more for the theater experience then anything else. That's why you are getting the reaction you are from some folks when it made nearly as much from streaming as it did from the theater.

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Ya, I get that. But from me personally they won’t be making any extra money, I used to buy all the movies, plus rent them after seeing them in the theatre. But for most people it’s obviously not the same. 

from you specifically they of course will be making less, but that market was rather niche in the grand scheme of things. in the aggregate with how many subs they have, they will make far more than the previous paradigm

2 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Yeah to be honest in ten years I think they won't even bother making physical media any longer. Physical media is going the way of VHS.

Agreed.

Personally i still buy them, but i'm a collector. Collectors will always buy them. But GP who just want to watch the movie will simply play them on some platform. And this is already happening, so it's hard to compare with other movie sales even if they're just 2 years old.

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

who r you

I’m the man who spent $250 to see Soul in a theater and then flew out to Los Angeles to do the same for Luca. I am the man who will single handedly send encanto to Disney+ in revenge. And I’m the man who will rob WB to prevent Space Jam 3. Don’t mess with the blanks

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 4