Jump to content
No Eternals Spoilers 4 Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

Recommended Posts

Kinda disappointed by the OW was hoping for over 90+ mil. Ouch, I don’t even know if this clears Antman and the Wasp numbers? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

I actually expect it to go day and date for a different reason - I don't think they trust the quality and reception of the movie (seeing the trailers), and they don't want a "true full open" lower than Black Widow's for the 1st real Phase 4 movie...

 

I again, disagree with you

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fully expecting Disney will announce their remaining 2021 movies after the also-PA-bound Jungle Cruise (Shang-Chi, Eternals, Encanto) will be also doing the simultaneous release method. It's probably not going to be until March (Pixar's Turning Red, Doctor Strange 2) that they'll be back to theatrical exclusivity since some countries are still down for the count.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Fully expecting Disney will announce their remaining 2021 movies after the also-PA-bound Jungle Cruise (Shang-Chi, Eternals, Encanto) will be also doing the simultaneous release method. It's probably not going to be until March (Pixar's Turning Red, Doctor Strange 2) that they'll be back to theatrical exclusivity since some countries are still down for the count.

Yeah getting 60m directly from PA is huge , I have a feeling they might move Shang-Chi to PA as well. I will hate it but numbers are profitable enough

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Fully expecting Disney will announce their remaining 2021 movies after the also-PA-bound Jungle Cruise (Shang-Chi, Eternals, Encanto) will be also doing the simultaneous release method. It's probably not going to be until March (Pixar's Turning Red, Doctor Strange 2) that they'll be back to theatrical exclusivity since some countries are still down for the count.

Yeah, i just read lots of foreign countries is about to shut down again.

 

This is a recovery year but it'a definitelly not there yet.

 

I think they will wait tho before making a decision, since not every movie will bringing them +100M on PA like BW will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Fully expecting Disney will announce their remaining 2021 movies after the also-PA-bound Jungle Cruise (Shang-Chi, Eternals, Encanto) will be also doing the simultaneous release method. It's probably not going to be until March (Pixar's Turning Red, Doctor Strange 2) that they'll be back to theatrical exclusivity since some countries are still down for the count.

Send encanto to disney+ for free. Or else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

only BOT can spin Disney releasing their PA numbers for the first time as a bad thing :hahaha:

 

And if they didn't release them people would still be asking for them, I dont get what people want on here? Do you want more insight into streaming numbers or not?

 

Also if they didn't reveal the numbers from Disney+ they still would have had "Biggest Post Pandemic Lockdown Opening Weekend" headline to go on record with, so I'm also not getting the oh they also released the numbers to spin the numbers rhetoric 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really doubt the rest are going PA. Disney should be ok with getting the same money through similar avenues 45-days or so in its run now. The pandemic is right now a big problem in countries where PA isn't even available.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Madhuvan said:

Also @lorddemaxus I have to disagree with you about home video run. Mostly marvel fans buy physical copies and they still will. So , I don't see much change in that. 

Physical home video sales aren't just made up of Marvel fans (especially if we're talking something like DVD). More importantly what I was talking about here is TVOD sales.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ryaner90 said:

 

And if they didn't release them people would still be asking for them, I dont get what people want on here? Do you want more insight into streaming numbers or not?

 

Also if they didn't reveal the numbers from Disney+ they still would have had "Biggest Post Pandemic Lockdown Opening Weekend" headline to go on record with, so I'm also not getting the oh they also released the numbers to spin the numbers rhetoric 

 

Top Deadline headline would not say "$215M Global Victory" - it would say $158M Global opening (when Deadline would try to add correctly), which isn't that impressive a global opening when compared to some other global releases (like Hi, Mom and Detective Chinatown) this year (now the $80M DOM open is impressive, but the norm domestic buyer wouldn't think it was b/c they are used to phase 3 Marvel opens)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I legitimately think that the bragging about premiere access actively makes the weekend look worse lol; like if it had done 80m, I would’ve been like “that’s solid considering everything”, but hearing that it only made 60m ww from streaming makes me look at this as a clearly disappointing box office opening haha

 

im Glad Disney is being more transparent; doesn’t change the fact that these numbers look worse when we’re given the full picture 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

Top Deadline headline would not say "$215M Global Victory" - it would say $158M Global opening (when Deadline would try to add correctly), which isn't that impressive a global opening when compared to some other global releases (like Hi, Mom and Detective Chinatown) this year (now the $80M DOM open is impressive, but the norm domestic buyer wouldn't think it was b/c they are used to phase 3 Marvel opens)...

not really for holly wood black widow ww opening is the best since the pandemic begun by a decent margin

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

only BOT can spin Disney releasing their PA numbers for the first time as a bad thing :hahaha:

It’s not bad that they’re releasing them. It’s the numbers that are bad.  2 million people paid for it on D+ worldwide, whilst simultaneously they gave it away for free - even to territories that haven’t even got the movie yet. 
 

people can spin the ‘it would take $120 million BO for them to make that $60 million’ all they want. It’s still a small number of people relatively that actually paid for it. 

Are we now in the realm of them happily accepting millions and millions of people watching it for free on day one? I don’t think so. 
 

And no MCU fan is subscribing to Disney+ just for this film. They always have it for the shows

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Shortland Fell Short :P since Disney included PA in their global report to get over 200M number for headlines. While I don't think that OW is disappointing in any way for this type of movie (sidequel, not essential, dead character) and circumstances (pandemic half-recovery, hybrid release), I have to admit that this does sound like a massive damage control. 

  • Disbelief 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.