Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

I do think Marvel will try to not have their Disney+ shows release the same time as their movies again as MCU fans tend to just move on to the next thing especially with how well received Loki has been. PA hasn't affected legs previously but perhaps there's a ceiling to how movies can do with PA as Raya and Cruella didn't have particularly high opening weekends. 

Then again this conversation may not be had if it was say Doctor Strange 2 a movie that has much more clear ramifications for Phase 4 than Black Widow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Here's my top 5 DOM for 2021:

Spider-man NWH - 125/290
Matrix - 90/220
Venom - 85/200
BW - 80/190
F9 - 70/175

Unless covid resurges badly...

Nwh 400+

Matrix OW will be half that

Venom I guess it will have drop on scale of DP2.

Without PA, Shang Chi is doing 200+

Edited by charlie Jatinder

10 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

They’re gunning for like 40+ eps and 4+ movies a year. Avoiding a week with both isn’t just silly — it’s basically impossible without seriously contorting the movie dates.

Well then they shouldn't gun for that idea. It's okay to cut back on a show or two.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Well then they shouldn't gun for that idea. It's okay to cut back on a show or two.

If it was important to avoid “collisions,” then cutting back on eps/year would certainly be one option to do that, but this entire idea seems very flimsy to me to begin with.  Was TROS hurt by the Mando ep that week?  

… waitaminute 🤔 🤔🤔

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Haha 1

I think Disney need to see if they are getting what they need for Disney+ by releasing films on streaming. They also need to come up with something better than $30 fees because having just 2M folks out of 70M watch your film and losing way more millions to piracy isn't really a great choice. Yeah you gonna release it free for all in few weeks, but by then a large chunk of audience would have already watched it, especially MCU and Star Wars fans, who aren't waiting for 3 months to watch a movie which is already online in HD for free.

May be making a premium subscription plan at $11-13 a month for all movies in premiere access a better option than PA, so that at least more people of those 70M watch it.

PS. I am removing Hotstar subs in India because majority of them will never watch a Disney+ content, most of them are there for just cricket.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

They’re gunning for like 40+ eps and 4+ movies a year. Avoiding a week with both isn’t just silly — it’s basically impossible without seriously contorting the movie dates.

But that‘s 44 weeks and there are 52 Weeks In the year 🤔🤔🤔🤔😘😘😘😘😘

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

If it was important to avoid “collisions,” then cutting back on eps/year would certainly be one option to do that, but this entire idea seems very flimsy to me to begin with.  Was TROS hurt by the Mando ep that week?  

… waitaminute 🤔 🤔🤔

Well...yeah. Wasn't the whole issue with Star Wars and its box office collapse come from the onslaught of Star Wars media? That Solo coming just months after Last Jedi was one of the issues that hurt it? That something that used to be special was no longer special?

The MCU hasn't fallen into that pitfall yet but even you have to admit this series is not infallible. At least with three movies a year, there's still a solid gap of a few months to let people sit and focus on other things. WandaVision and F&WS were only like a week apart and you had to hear people talk about Marvel for four months straight. I'm a fan and I was getting exhausted by all this. And now they're planning like 4 or 5 shows a year, alongside 4 movies a year. That's damn near a new piece of MCU content a week!

I think at least a few of even the most diehard MCU stans have to think that maybe this is a little too much. That maybe it'll become too tiring having to see so much from one franchise in just one year. That what was once special and exciting is just kind of an also-ran and no longer as engaging as it once was. And that has to impact viewership and box office at least a little bit.

I'm not trying to say Disney shouldn't get rid of these shows. I get why they're doing it. But I think it's fair to argue there's at least a hint, just a smidge of potential dilution here, and I think cutting back on a few shows will help smooth things out. It's not like Disney+ is struggling to stay afloat or anything.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

But that‘s 44 weeks and there are 52 Weeks In the year 🤔🤔🤔🤔😘😘😘😘😘

Well, 44+ ;) 

But yeah, it’s not a strict “this is too many weeks of content to fit in a year” issue. It’s just a matter of movie scheduling, as I said. If you have one movie, then start a new show right after, the 2nd movie has to come out right when the show ends, and then the next show right after, and etc, because you have 8 (or fewer) “gap” weeks to play with. So you wouldn’t necessarily be able to accommodate normal marvel dates like first week of May+ wknd after July 4+first of Nov, since they don’t cleanly fit a certain integer multiple of shows in between.   

Now, personally I think those traditional dates are overrated anyway, but it’s a consideration.

5 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Well...yeah. Wasn't the whole issue with Star Wars and its box office collapse come from the onslaught of Star Wars media? That Solo coming just months after Last Jedi was one of the issues that hurt it? That something that used to be special was no longer special?

Well, in a word, no. The issue there was quality much more so than quantity imo. But that’s about as much on that as seems wise to get into 😆

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Well it was certainly an argument that was made, and one Disney chose to believe.

Whether or not it was actually true I don't think has been proven.  At all, really.

TROS certainly wasn't hurt by Mando, that's for sure.

• Like 3

Despite my joke above, I feel like Mando probably helped TROS more than hurt by reinvigorating fandom interest and goodwill vs being a competitor for some hypothetical finite pool of attention.    

I don’t think Loki had much effect of BW one way or another since they’re such different corners of the universe, but if we had a week where the Wandavision finale was 2 days before DS2 I think that would actively boost it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Well, in a word, no. The issue there was quality much more so than quantity imo. But that’s about as much on that as seems wise to get into 😆

Just tag me next time, why don't you. 😘

I think... I think Solo was something of a perfect storm of events.  From a premise that wasn't... let's say fully embraced by the GA, to a very peculiar reluctance from Lucasfilm to actually market the film, to just plain exhaustion from The Great TLJ Wars to all of the behind the scenes drama actually mattering far more than folks thought.

And, yes, perhaps a movie that didn't seem "epic" whatever the hell that means.

Change any one variable (my personal fav whipping boy is Disney's bizarre marketing strategy [or rather lack there of]) and perhaps Solo does better.  Maybe Solo does better if it is released now (or rather once the post-COVID landscape is more settled) now that more of the GA has gotten used to non-epic SW (Mando, TCW becoming more popular, the seeming never ending list of shows on the horizon over on D+).

Or maybe it always was gonna do poorly.  Maybe the GA was opposed to Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo that much, and no matter what Lucasfilm tried to do, it would be an uphill battle.

I suspect we'll never know.

We'll also know in VERY short order whether or not there really is such a thing as Star Wars Fatigue. given that 2022 is gonna practically be All Star Wars, All The Time over on D+ (or at least heavily saturated if one wants to take a mooted S2 of The Bad Batch out of the equation as being far off the scope of the GA radar, which, you know what?  More than fair).  Gonna be at least three live-action SW shows on D+ next year (The Book of Boba Fett. Kenobi, Andor), and possibly a fourth if filming for another series starts up at the end of this year.

Maybe there really is something to the idea.  I for one don't expect The Book of Boba Fett or Andor to reach Mando level of popularity.  But, then again, it doesn't need to over on D+.

Ultimately, I think the lesson of Solo was don't reshoot three quarters of the film budget a film/project more appropriately and actually plan for more mid-size success.

Edited by Porthos
scope not score. Ugh
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Shame about Escape Room. I haven't loved either entry in the series but am invested enough to want them to conclude the story. I did enjoy Indya Moore in this one.

Nice opening for SJ2, and lol at BW. Disney sure played this a certain way. Good job with all that.