Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I wonder if any fall/winter movies will move to next year. No Spidey trailer yet, maybe they are thinking of moving it. The Delta variant will do some damage in the fall/winter

Disney and WB movies will obviously stay put. Sony might move some films because they like to do that. 

I'm fully expecting No Way Home to shift to March/July of 2022 (with a Phase 4 reshuffle to accomodate for it) while Venom 2, a far cheaper and safer bet, takes the holiday 2021 slot.

The fact of the matter is that the new variants are making our future uncertain again much like when this whole mess first started. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we go into another global lockdown this fall and the movie slate undergoes another major shift. Better safe than sorry.

I just hope I can catch The Suicide Squad at my local mall's theater before the remaining theaters in my area succumb to their wounds and die. One near me got shuttered sometime after theaters closed where I live in November of last year.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • ...wtf 1

28 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm fully expecting No Way Home to shift to March/July of 2022 (with a Phase 4 reshuffle to accomodate for it) while Venom 2, a far cheaper and safer bet, takes the holiday 2021 slot.

The fact of the matter is that the new variants are making our future uncertain again much like when this whole mess first started. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we go into another global lockdown this fall and the movie slate undergoes another major shift. Better safe than sorry.

I just hope I can catch The Suicide Squad at my local mall's theater before the remaining theaters in my area succumb to their wounds and die. One near me got shuttered sometime after theaters closed where I live in November of last year.

I mean, I feel like theaters will be safe for another couple weeks. You should be fine with Suicide Squad.

I really don’t see theaters closing. Not a fan of this fatalistic, pessimistic talk. There’s a valid way to discuss the pandemic but resorting to doom and definitive statements doesn’t make for a meaningful conversation. What is likelier is possible seating capacity or mask mandates than lockdowns which will never be fully implemented. Maybe vaccine requirements.  Studios will just have smaller theatrical windows or so VOD/streaming simultaneously. Lockdowns are economic and logistical nightmares. Locking when there’s variants will just cause more damage. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 Warner Bros. 11 $360,412,215 39,346,306 25.06%
2 Universal 13 $321,024,163 35,046,300 22.32%
3 Walt Disney 5 $270,112,365 29,488,247 18.78%
4 Paramount Pictures 3 $155,525,196 16,978,733 10.81%
5 Lionsgate 5 $79,536,513 8,683,023 5.53%
6 Sony Pictures 9 $78,401,842 8,559,149 5.45%
7 FUNimation 1 $47,700,000 5,207,423 3.32%
8 United Artists 1 $27,454,233 2,997,187 1.91%
9 Open Road 2 $20,075,236 2,191,619 1.40%
10 Focus Features 11 $17,324,666 1,891,334 1.20

A look at the year by studio market share so far. I think Warner Bros could win the year. 

source: The-Numbers

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

That’s a sober assessment of the situation.

ANNE: I liked “Black Widow” a lot. My guess is the opening-weekend audience was the most eager and excited fan base and the second-weekend drop is a combo of weak word of mouth and the option to buy it online. Also, doesn’t the recent COVID surge also play into the numbers, as many moviegoers may not want to assemble indoors in an often mask-free environment?

Corcoran isn’t addressing that issue because his real fear is that, post-pandemic, these new distribution models will solidify into the norm. Exhibitors are hoping and praying that somehow, some way, they will return to the old ways.

To quote the cliche, you can’t put the genie back in the bottle. Day-and-date releases are here to stay. It’s better for a movie to play in theaters opposite premium access than on streaming for the price of a monthly subscription — like Pixar’s “Luca,” which meant families weren’t in movie theaters and buying popcorn and candy. That’s how theaters make their money. At least this way moviegoers have a choice of how to see their movie.

TOM: There are benefits in options. And although it makes their argument less dramatic, it includes some benefits for theaters.

First, we can’t assume grosses are going to recover; certainly, not soon. Studios like Disney that spend $200 million+ to make movies are more likely to continue doing so if they can be guaranteed more revenue, which this model does. Second, by all reports theaters are paying less in film rentals — perhaps significantly so — when the films are also playing at home. Yes, they want butts in seats that buy concessions, but it’s possible that with lower rentals their overall return might not be dramatically lower. Third, I’d assume that PVOD meant Disney spent more in marketing. That helps theaters as well.

Your point about COVID still a factor is also quite apt as far as an overall deterrent. Perhaps that’s a big reason for the drops — as you said, the most likely to see it went as soon as possible. As for the pool of remaining ticket buyers, they included a bunch of people who still are not returning in numbers.

Of course, theaters and and NATO would prefer not to have the alternative. And you’re right, this is much better than “Luca,” which did not prompt a NATO statement; that “foul” was far more egregious. Disney is clearly testing different models — theaters with PVOD, theaters with Disney+ and no PVOD, theaters only, Disney+ only. I suspect that will continue indefinitely and they will make their decisions accordingly. But whatever Disney and Marvel decide to do, it will be determined more by what they think is best for Disney + than for theaters.

I despise every day-to-date strategy, there is no need to prioritize streaming since streaming platform will get the movie all for themselves there forever after the theatrical run. Although it is a understandable move now.  

I don't get why Disney seem to receive harsher backlash when they actually put a price tag as barrier, versus WB who offer free access! Whilst I am not happy with BW's 80m opening, I am pretty confident this opening will easily beat every WB's tentpoles for the rest of the year.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:
1 Warner Bros. 11 $360,412,215 39,346,306 25.06%
2 Universal 13 $321,024,163 35,046,300 22.32%
3 Walt Disney 5 $270,112,365 29,488,247 18.78%
4 Paramount Pictures 3 $155,525,196 16,978,733 10.81%
5 Lionsgate 5 $79,536,513 8,683,023 5.53%
6 Sony Pictures 9 $78,401,842 8,559,149 5.45%
7 FUNimation 1 $47,700,000 5,207,423 3.32%
8 United Artists 1 $27,454,233 2,997,187 1.91%
9 Open Road 2 $20,075,236 2,191,619 1.40%
10 Focus Features 11 $17,324,666 1,891,334 1.20

A look at the year by studio market share so far. I think Warner Bros could win the year. 

source: The-Numbers

Aside from Dune (and Matrix 4 if it sticks), I don't see anything on WB's remaining slate outgrossing Shang Chi/Eternals/Encanto/West Side Story from Disney and Halloween/Sing/Dear Evan Hansen from Universal. The gap will close by mid-October since WB's August and September look dire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People need to calm the fuck down.  Theaters aren't shutting down again.  Movies aren't going to move on any level.  

The Delta variant worries are so ridiculously overblown.  People that are vaccinated are as safe as you can be.  The unvaccinated aren't, but at this point that is all on them.  

There is not going to be any more shutdowns.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1