Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

If I'm a studio exec I'd rather not spend 85 m on a romantic comedy and then hope and pray it makes 215 m WW. I'd rather double the budget and fund something like Venom 2 and comfortably expect over 600 m WW. Also with an IP franchise you can exploit far more merchandising and ancillary opportunities. 

RIP cinema. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

If I'm a studio exec I'd rather not spend 85 m on a romantic comedy and then hope and pray it makes 215 m WW. I'd rather double the budget and fund something like Venom 2 and comfortably expect over 600 m WW. Also with an IP franchise you can exploit far more merchandising and ancillary opportunities. 

Tentpoles and popular IP's are smaller risks with way bigger revenue streams.

Then you have low budget stuff like Old. But how many of those movies do you need to match the profit of something like Avengers 3 and 4? And why crowd your calendar with stuff like that when it can't be tied to billions in revenue, theme parks, toys, etc?

Personal taste. Not everyone wants to only watch action films. Plus, looking at this summers box office, I’d be putting my money into horror films only ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Both evening showings sold out. Good to see. 

we’re down to only one empty seat at either side now in Scotland, so it’s nice to have busier screenings. 

Great news. Hopefully a good insight from our U.K. shores to show Americans around here that there is soon to be relative normalcy after delta!  

• Like 2

This is anecdotal, but The Suicide Squad doing absolutely terrible from a few specific theater numbers I looked at.  

Third to last in the whole complex and might end up below The Green Knight.  The only thing it might beat is Stillwater.  It's behind Old, Black Widow and everything else.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 7
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

If you want an anti-blockbuster elitist, come talk to me. :lol: 

mad max GIF

*looks at your pants*

”is that your Criterion collection or are you just excited to see me?”

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Both of them are kinda scummy things to do (and DC’s just as bad, tbc.)

At the end of the day ScarJo has a quarter billion while comic creators might be flat broke.

Giving them only 1% of the MCU films' gross would go a long way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

This is anecdotal, but The Suicide Squad doing absolutely terrible from a few specific theater numbers I looked at.  

Third to last in the whole complex and might end up below The Green Knight.  The only thing it might beat is Stillwater.  It's behind Old, Black Widow and everything else.  

Any other numbers 🤨

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

O/U Mortal Kombat's 73% drop?

1 minute ago, Gokira2012 said:

I blame movie theaters for the death of their business, Nato  could have got together and started a streaming service, where they would share 50% of profits with the studios, but they fought netflix every step of the way back in 2012

ok

1 minute ago, Gokira2012 said:

I blame movie theaters for the death of their business, Nato  could have got together and started a streaming service, where they would share 50% of profits with the studios, but they fought netflix every step of the way back in 2012

Well, it's not dead and won't be, so there is that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Just realized Suicide Squad might go from #1 to #5 since Jungle Cruise is probably ahead of it :hahaha: That would mean it'll land at 8th or 9th next weekend depending how low Night House opens :hahaha: 

Talk about a freaky free guy Friday 

• Haha 1