Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just realized Suicide Squad might go from #1 to #5 since Jungle Cruise is probably ahead of it :hahaha: That would mean it'll land at 8th or 9th next weekend depending how low Night House opens :hahaha: 

The Night House is actually pretty damn good.  It might be a small surprise as they are going pretty wide with it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just realized Suicide Squad might go from #1 to #5 since Jungle Cruise is probably ahead of it :hahaha: That would mean it'll land at 8th or 9th next weekend depending how low Night House opens :hahaha: 

Not so confident it will be behind DB2, which could drop like 65% coming off of Friday the 13th

Edited by Lokis Legion

Just now, EmpireCity said:

The Night House is actually pretty damn good.  It might be a small surprise as they are going pretty wide with it.  

I hope it hits the high end of its 1-6M tracking; I've been seeing a lot of ads on Hulu over the past week and a half.

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Aren't there artsy direct to streaming movies filling the gap?

Well, I’m being a bit tongue in cheek, but I should also be more specific and really say “American cinema”, because world cinema is doing just fine, yes. 

And in terms of artsy DOS stuff, there’s a weird thing happening there which is the same phenomenon as the big studios except on a smaller scale: you have the ultra-low budget movies (sub-1m), you have a few high-profile A-list streaming stuff — the Oscar hopefuls and so forth — but the “mid budgets” in this arena are also getting squeezed out. The Blumhouses of the world are increasingly rare. I don’t really know how sustainable all of this really is. It’s brutally hard to get a low-budget movie made these days. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If I'm a studio exec I'd rather not spend 85 m on a romantic comedy and then hope and pray it makes 215 m WW. I'd rather double the budget and fund something like Venom 2 and comfortably expect over 600 m WW. Also with an IP franchise you can exploit far more merchandising and ancillary opportunities. 

Tentpoles and popular IP's are smaller risks with way bigger revenue streams.

Then you have low budget stuff like Old. But how many of those movies do you need to match the profit of something like Avengers 3 and 4? And why crowd your calendar with stuff like that when it can't be tied to billions in revenue, theme parks, toys, etc?

Somebody mentioned Eisner earlier, his strategy was the norm in Hollywood: some big bets but mostly modest investments because we gotta keep the lights on. 

OT but in light of streaming wars, Disney selling off Miramax (and it’s library) was a mistake. 

Why is that so funny? A critically acclaimed film with good WOM will be one of the biggest flops of the year. Great. I have the feeling that some don't understand that these big second weekend drops and overall underperformances will go on for a long time...It's almost worthless at the moment to look at any box office chart. I never expected this summer to become THAT bad. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

That’d be fun. Yelena should have her own flick. 

When BW was booked and set for a non-pandemic world, that clearly was the plan. 

Sa La Vie

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

my tastes have evolved above this blockbuster business. The only movie I saw this year that impressed me was last call at the jesus bar.

I’m glad I’ve matured as a film buff that I can enjoy all kinds of cinema and the particular pleasures they offer.

15 minutes ago, el sid said:

Why is that so funny? A critically acclaimed film with good WOM will be one of the biggest flops of the year. Great. I have the feeling that some don't understand that these big second weekend drops and overall underperformances will go on for a long time...It's almost worthless at the moment to look at any box office chart. I never expected this summer to become THAT bad. 

I’m disappointed in TSS numbers but basically every movie is losing money. Some drops are worse then others, and some movies will lose more then others, but it is what is, what can you do? Hopefully things improve in the coming months or next year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Taking the 2.6 Mon 2.8 Tues from Forbes this would imply like… 1.9 Wed 1.6 Th or something? Matches with empirecity’s comments on how the weekend is looking 👀

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 2

TSS is a free streaming movie with Thursday previews, in summer. And the reception isn’t as strong as it seemed like to might be pre-release. A true plummet would not be too shocking given these factors.

• Like 6

Sucks that TSS is dropping hard, glad that Free Guy and Don't Breathe 2 both seem to be doing well this weekend though.

Going to see both TSS and Free Guy tomorrow so hopefully I enjoy both. 

• Like 1