Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

15 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Will any movie have a decent 2nd weekend hold? I guess it’s up to Free Guy now

Free Guy probably, because it has the benefit of no streaming option, no fanboy rush and no competition. Whereas TSS just had great reviews. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

So far the solid 2nd weekend hold from the major releases that I can recall was Raya at 30%+, and Spiral (surprise!) at 47%, majority of the rest are all collapsed like nobody business in 2nd week  for whatever reason 

I wonder if that’s the world we live in now. Of course streaming is a contributing factor, but with people selective about $ and how they receive entertainment in a COVID world, movies become more frontloaded opening weekend experience 

• Like 1

F9 doesn’t quite belong in the same category as BW imo. Its 2nd weekend was depressed by the calendar, adjusting appropriately for the holiday it would just be like a 64% drop.    

Which might not sound like much, but when you have a 36% hold it’s actually 20% bigger than a 30% hold!

11 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

F9 doesn’t quite belong in the same category as BW imo. Its 2nd weekend was depressed by the calendar, adjusting appropriately for the holiday it would just be like a 64% drop.    

Which might not sound like much, but when you have a 36% hold it’s actually 20% bigger than a 30% hold!

F9 actually ended up doing pretty well after the second weekend with decent drops all around, so WOM wasn't too bad.

Hate Disney for putting this word out in the open , making it look like an experiment is not good look for their first Asian led Superhero movie. I know I am pessimistic about it but I hope it can surprise. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

Simu Liu is literally the only one who cares at this point I guess. Disney/Marvel are acting like it's just a movie to dump , I am surprised because this is very important movie in many regards. They could have handled marketing more positively. 

Bringing down the spirit of your lead actor is not good look. He is fairly new in the business and I am pretty sure this is not what he was expecting when cast in a MCU movie. 

WTF is this shit. Of course the release strategies for Disney films since Mulan have been experiment and so is Shang Chi. How thick you need to be understand that.

Way before Chapek used the word, me, @Lokis Legion and @Jamiem are using that since Mulan.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WTF is this shit. Of course the release strategies for last few Disney films have been experiment and so is Shang Chi. How thick you need to be understand that.

Way before Chapek used the word, me, @Lokis Legion and @Jamiem are using that since Mulan.

Saying it in box office forum is different than putting it out in public. They basically showed lack of confidence , I guess I am wrong for expecting more from them. 

Edited by Madhuvan

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WTF is this shit. Of course the release strategies for last few Disney films have been experiment and so is Shang Chi. How thick you need to be understand that.

i think that his post was meant for people of twitter and social media in general

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Saying it in box office forum is different than putting it out in public. They basically showed lack of confidence , I guess I am wrong for expecting more from them. 

Chapek said that financial meet. Ofcourse release strategies are operational job for Disney. Disney is the business hand, its an experiment for them.

Marvel is one making these films, they are the creative hand.

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

i think that his post was meant for people of twitter and social media in general

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

It is obviously an experiment, but it’s also arguably a little impolite for the CEO to describe it that way in public.

Thanks for putting my word in better way. 

2 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

It is obviously an experiment, but it’s also arguably a little impolite for the CEO to describe it that way in public.

Frankly speaking, this wouldn't be much of news as its business suits talk but if it is, I wonder what really is happening back door.

First ScarJo suing and now this, is someone from Marvel or somebody else ganging up on Chapek?

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

First ScarJo suing and now this, is someone from Marvel or somebody else ganging up on Chapek?

There are multiple reports of how Chapek doesn't treat talent well. 

Also , Disney's financial meetings have always been widely covered. There were 100s of articles yesterday calling Shang-Chi an experiment etc.. Not a good look in anyway. 

Well this was a fun thing to see as I head to bed.

====

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Chapek said that financial meet.

100% true.  But it wasn't a private call/meeting. It was something open to the public or at least covered by the entertainment press. And as I said in another thread, during a time where a lot of people are hella jittery.

Is it the end of the world?  No.  Is it a "rookie" mistake?  Hard to see how it isn't.  Or, in soccer terms, a bit of an own-goal.

Is there a more of a heightened possibility of backlash since some folks within Hollywood don't seem to like Bob Chapek very much?  Again, quite possible.

But when one is the face of a multi-billion dollar company, having everything you say get scrutinized comes with the territory, fairly or not.  Chapek is just gonna have to learn to get better at this sort of thing and realize, much like actors, he is always "on" when in public.  

Or not learn, as the case may be.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It really sucks TSS is a flat out bomb. It’s a unique comic book movie with heart and action that isn’t choppy shakycam. Tbh I’d rather have DC throw money at a Director to do whatever than another bland MCU film. After how amazing and cathartic Endgame was, I’m over MCU now. Can’t imagine all the money WB lost and will continue to lose this year. MAX cannot justify this bleeding 

Will any movie have a decent 2nd weekend hold? I guess it’s up to Free Guy now

This is why I took issue with folks online who claimed some recent films having weak legs because of quality in this environment/situation. Funny how nobody pulled that card on Green Knight and it’s sharp 2nd week drop.

(Not knocking GK at all as a movie, in fact I’m sure it’s good. Lowery is a good director.)

Between not giving cinemas any content during the initial lockdowns, an unlikeable face of the company, rumours of treating talent poorly and the ScarJo court case, Disney aren’t coming off well just now and have lots of bad PR. 

• Like 14